John Carter movie

“As you know I am not of Barsoom; your ways are not my ways, and I can only act in the future as I have in the past, in accordance with the dictates of my conscience and guided by the standards of mine own people.” All RPGs base based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom stories can be discussed here.
finarvyn
Gnoll

John Carter movie

Post by finarvyn » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:32 am

So I've been re-watching the John Carter movie tonight and thought I'd see what others here thought of it.

A couple of my thoughts:

* I liked it a lot overall. Saw it 6-8 times in the theater. Nice soundtrack, tharks were well done. Overall I thought it captured a solid Barsoom vibe.

* The flying ships weren't at all what I imagined they would look like, perhaps because I'm biased by some of the cover art of the novels. I always thought they would look a lot like regular water-based ships, only with a propeller. Dunno, maybe that would have looked dumb on screen.

* The sub-plot with ERB was pretty well done. I liked the puzzle of the burial site; different from the book and allowed for some surprises at the end.

* I wasn't as interested in the dead-wife subplot. I suppose they thought that John Carter needed motivation, but in the books he just likes to fight and that seemed like enough motivation to me.

* Marketing was a disaster. I asked a lot of my gaming friends if they saw the movie and their typical reply was that they didn't know anything about it. I mentioned that the author was the same guy who did Tarzan and they had heard of that character, so why didn't they push for that in the commercials?

* I would have gone to see a sequel, had they made one.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: John Carter movie

Post by RobJN » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:16 am

I thought it made for a pretty good sci-fantasy romp, having not read any of the original ERB books
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:22 am

I've seen it twice, both at home. Still haven't read any of the stories though.
I liked it, but hiring a Director who had only ever worked on animated films was asking for trouble.
Spending an absolute ton of money on reshoots almost guaranteed it was never going to make enough $ to warrant a sequel.
Marketing was an absolute disaster.. dropping the "of Mars" bit. Releasing a Youtube video showing the opening 10 mins where it was basically a Western only. Not pushing any of the history so clueless reviewers wrote about how "derivative" it was.. when in fact the films it supposedly copied from were themselves inspired from the John Carter stories.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:12 am

Yes good movie, dropping the Mars was a huge mistake. Still it has its weak spots.
But a pity they will not do the two other planned movies.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:08 pm

I saw this movie in the theaters and I own a copy on BluRay. I really enjoyed the movie, but I recognize that it's not perfect. I see the problem with the dead wife subplot because it creates a very poignant tone which doesn't really mesh with the more comedic elements on Mars and when Carter is imprisoned in the first act. I enjoy both the more serious scenes and the comedic scenes, but they don't really mesh well. I also think they could have worked to make the characters more interesting. John Carter is the straight man and fish out of water, but the rest of the cast is pretty bland. I like the actress who played Dejah Thoris, but her character was pretty standard straight woman/romantic interest. The same thing with Tars Tarkas (didn't realize it was Willem DeFoe! :o). A more interesting dymantic between these three could have made the story a bit more personal.

I suspect that many audiences would also have felt like we have seen all of this before. But to me personally that was less of a problem. Marketing on the other hand, was a disaster which is a real shame.

I only had limited familiarity with the property before watching the movie, so that might have affected my opinion.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

finarvyn
Gnoll

Post by finarvyn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:35 pm

It's also strange to realize that the movie has been out for more than 6 years already. Yikes! This kind of thing makes me feel really old. :(
Havard wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:08 pm
I like the actress who played Dejah Thoris, but her character was pretty standard straight woman/romantic interest.
I actually liked the Dejah Thoris character in that the original books have a bit of a "save me" vibe but the movie version had a little more attitude. This may be what many folks didn't like about the character, since it changed. On the other hand, my daughter enjoyed the character a lot because Dejah ran around with a sword and was a scientist and did stuff. She hasn't read the books, either, so has no frame of reference on the matter.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:50 pm

finarvyn wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:35 pm
Havard wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:08 pm
I like the actress who played Dejah Thoris, but her character was pretty standard straight woman/romantic interest.
I actually liked the Dejah Thoris character in that the original books have a bit of a "save me" vibe but the movie version had a little more attitude. This may be what many folks didn't like about the character, since it changed. On the other hand, my daughter enjoyed the character a lot because Dejah ran around with a sword and was a scientist and did stuff. She hasn't read the books, either, so has no frame of reference on the matter.
I agree that shifting her towards a more independent action heroine is step in the right direction, but its not like we haven't seen this type of character before. So we are left with three fairly standard heroes and not a very interesting dynamic between them. I didn't dislike any of them, but it still feels like something is missing.

Overall I still liked the movie. Just disappointed it wasn't successful, but that's not just the fault of the movie.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “John Carter of Mars”