[Barsoom] The Secret of Exum

“As you know I am not of Barsoom; your ways are not my ways, and I can only act in the future as I have in the past, in accordance with the dictates of my conscience and guided by the standards of mine own people.” All RPGs base based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom stories can be discussed here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Barsoom] The Secret of Exum

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:42 am

Jeff Dee has a free PDF up, called Secret of Exum, which might be useful to anyone wanting to run a Barsoom campaign.

Here is what he wrote about it on Facebook:
Jeff Dee on Facebook wrote:Now seems like a good time to re-post this article I wrote, reconciling Burroughs' Barsoom with modern NASA maps.
He has taken maps of Edgar Rice Burroughs's Barsoom and NASA's modern maps of Mars and found a new way to put them together. Here is the blurb from the start of the PDF:
Secret of Exum wrote:There have been many attempts to properly place the cities from Burroughs’ map of Barsoom upon modern maps of the surface of Mars. Some of these efforts are quite carefully thought out and have gained wide popularity.

However, I found these conclusions unsatisfying, primarily because they result in major Green Martian tribes occupying areas that are known from modern NASA elevation data to be highlands, rather than dead sea bottoms, as Burroughs described. So, in an attempt to solve this puzzle to my own satisfaction, I went back to square one.
I don't know enough about Barsoom to know exactly where Edgar Rice Burroughs put the cities...and how many problematic locations there might be, but I do like projects where people try to adapt things to work for them.

I hope that some of you enjoy this PDF.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Re: [Barsoom] The Secret of Exum

Post by Yaztromo » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:00 am

It is actually a great piece of work and I'm pretty sure that Edgar Rice Burroughs is nodding and winking, right now ;)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Well, this will save me quite a bit of time in piecing together the "where" of things on ThornSpace's Sarimaar.......
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:36 am

That's a cool little pdf! :cool:

Return to “John Carter of Mars”