Clean "forum sized" Barsoom logo needed

“As you know I am not of Barsoom; your ways are not my ways, and I can only act in the future as I have in the past, in accordance with the dictates of my conscience and guided by the standards of mine own people.” All RPGs base based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom stories can be discussed here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Clean "forum sized" Barsoom logo needed

Post by Havard » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:01 pm

A lot of nice logos in this thread :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Falconer
Troll

Post by Falconer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:21 am

Just a test (not clean):

Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:17 am

Falconer wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:35 am
I have to say this…

…is the closest thing to a Barsoom logo in my head. Though if you don’t own that book you might not feel the same way. If there’s any interest, I can work on a clean version.
The problem with novels is that the publisher, rather than the author, usually designs the covers and the covers get rebooted a lot. I found this version of the same book:
Falconer wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:35 am
To be honest, I do fall in the camp that “John Carter” is a lousy name for the franchise. I don’t know all the details, but from what I know, the Burroughs estate insists on all its licensees using “John Carter” in the title of their products. The books are in the public domain, but the estate owns the trademark “John Carter” and sues the pants off anyone doing anything Barsoom-related. (I think this forum is safe, though!) My point is I think fans can call it whatever they want.
Sure, fans can call it Barsoom or the world of John Carter or anything else. And the forum tag for the topics was "[Barsoom]" and "[Barsoom]" is a better tag than "[John Carter of Mars}" because "John Carter" (let alone "John Carter of Mars") is too long. But if we are going to use the logo from a Barsoom-based roleplaying game, and the roleplaying games have "John Carter" in the name, then it is more logical to go with brand awareness. (This is why I started up another topic: "[Barsoom] How many John Carter of Mars RPGs are there?". That is going to let me get a full list of actual roleplaying games, so we can review the logos of those games and see if any of them have better "brand identity" than the RPG that came out recently.)

FYI: A Google search for "John Carter of Mars" returns 22.5 million results vs 629,000 for a search for "Barsoom".

Anyhoo. Back to logos.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:18 am

Falconer wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:21 am
Just a test (not clean):

It does look pretty good. :cool:

If we switch from John Carter of Mars to Barsoom, we might well go with a cleaned up version of that.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:21 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:57 am
And another attempt...

Thanks Angel.

But it looks like you changed the aspect ratio.

Here is a page called Modiphius To Create Games Based on John Carter series of books where they have a big version of the "john Carter of Mars" logo with a plain background.

Would you (or anyone else) be able to get the logo into 90x30 PNG format...while retaining the aspect ratio?

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:17 pm

At 90x30 this is the best that can be done...

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:57 am

Perhaps a forum sized Barsoom logo could be obtained from this?
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:22 am

Yaztromo wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:57 am
Perhaps a forum sized Barsoom logo could be obtained from this?
I would prefer to use a logo from a roleplaying product, if possible (as it helps get across the fact that this is a roleplaying forum for Barsoom/John Carter, rather than a generic forum about that world). But if we go for a non-roleplaying product, it does look like A Guide to Barsoom is a popular book. :)

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:37 am

I think the one done by Angel is the best option..

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:10 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:17 pm
So... shall we go with this?

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:03 am

Yaztromo wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:10 am
Angel Tarragon wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:17 pm
So... shall we go with this?
I like the John Carter of Mars logo from the RPG. However, I don't care of the lack of the "of Mars" portion of the logo in the one that Big Mac found and Angel Tarragon was kind enough to resize. Also, the subtitle "the roleplaying game" is so small, it's illegible.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:18 am

What do you think of this logo? If the image doesn't come across here, try it at this link.

Falconer
Troll

Post by Falconer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:43 pm

Just logging my continued preference for this:

It’s not an official logo, but it’s attractive, easy to read, and economically conveys what it is. It’s the right color palette (sand, red planet, space).

I understand the desire for an “official logo”, especially one associated with a RPG, but the other thing really is pretty generic and not a very good logo for our purposes. As I’ve explained before, “John Carter” is what the Burroughs Estate insists its licensees use, because that’s what they have trademarked. But “Barsoom” is what the gaming community (even on this board, but going back at least as far as the Diplomacy variants scene of the 60s) has always used for gaming on the planet, because it’s about more than just the one character (even in the novels—many of which don’t feature John except as maybe a cameo), it’s got cool flavor, and it’s economical (“Mars” needs a qualifier).

Finally, unlike other worlds which have a long tradition of licensed RPG products (or originating as RPG products), Barsoom has a much different history—almost entirely dominated by fan/homebrew efforts. So I think a departure from the usual policy/preference for official logos can be considered appropriate.

Well, I’ve made my case, but I’m fine with whatever everyone else wants. :)

EDIT: And, let me add this clarification, for archival reasons and just FWIW: this post was made before a final decision was made, not as a protest against the final decision.
Last edited by Falconer on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:16 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:18 am
What do you think of this logo? If the image doesn't come across here, try it at this link.

I can see that, eventually, this is the one that was adopted!

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:13 am

Happy I could help the community. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:18 am

Thanks for making that Tim.

It is the first in proportion logo we have from a published RPG for this setting.

(I had a bit of trouble getting it uploaded, so I asked Chimpman to put it up for me, so sorry for not saying so earlier.)

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:59 am

I like it! Falconer's logo was nice too but I too think the logo of the more recent rpg is more appropriate

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:10 pm

Falconer wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:43 pm
Just logging my continued preference for this:

It’s not an official logo, but it’s attractive, easy to read, and economically conveys what it is. It’s the right color palette (sand, red planet, space).

I understand the desire for an “official logo”, especially one associated with a RPG, but the other thing really is pretty generic and not a very good logo for our purposes. As I’ve explained before, “John Carter” is what the Burroughs Estate insists its licensees use, because that’s what they have trademarked. But “Barsoom” is what the gaming community (even on this board, but going back at least as far as the Diplomacy variants scene of the 60s) has always used for gaming on the planet, because it’s about more than just the one character (even in the novels—many of which don’t feature John except as maybe a cameo), it’s got cool flavor, and it’s economical (“Mars” needs a qualifier).

Finally, unlike other worlds which have a long tradition of licensed RPG products (or originating as RPG products), Barsoom has a much different history—almost entirely dominated by fan/homebrew efforts. So I think a departure from the usual policy/preference for official logos can be considered appropriate.

Well, I’ve made my case, but I’m fine with whatever everyone else wants. :)
That's a cool logo and I've tagged plenty of topics with "[Barsoom]" myself, and I tried to find a commercial RPG product with the word Barsoom in the title, but could not.

There is a brand new RPG with "John Carter" in the title and at least one older RPG product with "John Carter" in the title.

While it might be the case that some old school Barsoom fans prefer the name of the planet "Barsoom" over the name of the character "John Carter", The Piazza is not going to get involved in any fan disputes with the Burroughs Estate. What is a major factor in "John Carter" being chosen is brand recognition and there are far more hits on Google for "John Carter" than there are for "Barsoom". It's what the new fans are going to expect to see.

The forum blurb has "Barsoom" in it, to try to ensure that Barsoom fans know they are also welcome, and I've actually started a topic about A Guide to Barsoom, so that people can talk about the cool stuff that specific non-RPG book has in it.

The bottom line is that I wanted to get a Barsoom forum up and running, as soon as possible and that we have a logo that has the most brand recognition for being from a RPG based on the world of Barsoom.

If there had been an OD&D, Classic or AD&D book for Barsoom, things might have gone the other way (because The Piazza was set up as a D&D community). But there wasn't one. So I really have had no other reasonable choice than to go with the logo of the new RPG.

If some fans want to call the setting "Barsoom" that's fine by me. And if people want to talk about old freebies that is great too. The Piazza is a no school community where both old and new stuff can be discussed and I'd like to see classic fans and new fans come together to talk about the setting. The logos on the forum are really only there to make the website look pretty. Nobody is telling you not to like the old school stuff. (I'm going to be a lot more interested in D&D compatible material than 2d20 products myself, as I am a 3e fan.)

We have a logo now (thanks to Tim). Please go write topics about your favourite RPG stuff for Barsoom/John Carter. :D

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:16 pm

Sturm wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:59 am
I like it! Falconer's logo was nice too but I too think the logo of the more recent rpg is more appropriate
If this forum had been set up several years back, as a forum for homebrew rules for Barsoom, that logo totally would have been chosen.

(You can tell I was initially leaning towards "Barsoom" by the name of this topic I started.)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:09 am

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:10 pm
We have a logo now (thanks to Tim). Please go write topics about your favourite RPG stuff for Barsoom/John Carter. :D
I'm glad I could be of assistance.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:15 am

Thank you!

Return to “John Carter of Mars”