John Carter of Mars QuickStart by Modiphius

“As you know I am not of Barsoom; your ways are not my ways, and I can only act in the future as I have in the past, in accordance with the dictates of my conscience and guided by the standards of mine own people.” All RPGs based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom stories can be discussed here.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

John Carter of Mars QuickStart by Modiphius

Post by Yaztromo »

I don't know if I'm the only one, but, before going for a new game system, I like to take it very easy, as with age I'm getting fussier and fussier.
Perhaps I had too bad experiences with rulesets that were meant to be the joy of the world and that turned out to be way too crunchy for what I can bear now, with very small time and opportunities to play compared to 30something years ago.

For this reason, I feel very prudent with this new John Carter of Mars ruleset by Modiphius, as sometimes good reviews by people that plays in a way that is not for me can become nasty tricks and, of course, vice versa.
For this reason I just downloaded the (free) QuickStart Guide: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/23 ... Quickstart
Whether I will eventually like the system and I will use it for my games is still to be seen, but I have to say that I am very grateful I was given this opportunity to test "small" before making up my mind.
First impression, right now, is just about the artwork, that really looks amazing to me! I will dive into the detail later on.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

finarvyn
Bugbear

Re: John Carter of Mars QuickStart by Modiphius

Post by finarvyn »

I'll be interested in seeing what you think about the system. I haven't played it yet (since the official rules came out, I did try Alpha-Beta playtests but the 2d20 version was different at that point) but it has some neat points about it. I kind of like the fact that a lot of the rules seem to be narrative and up to the GM at the time -- actions have a target number based on two stats and those stats can vary depending upon the situation. Anyway, I'm intrigued but haven't gotten my group to try a game yet.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Discussion player Since 1975
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

First of all I have to say the the artwork looks good to me.
After all I decided that this ruleset is a bit too crunchy for me to run (the more years pass, the simpler I seem to become as a gamer in particular and as a person in general), but I want to find a one off game as a player to test this ruleset in practice.

finarvyn
Bugbear

Post by finarvyn »

I'm the same way. Reading the rulebook makes me go a bit glassy-eyed but I suspect at the core the game isn't as hard as it seems and I'd like to play it when someone who knows the rules can run the thing for me. I think it may be a lot of fun.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Discussion player Since 1975
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

So far I had good fun playing on Barsoom (although with other rulesets)!
The setting itself allows you to focus on the fun aspects, with some small deviation into gonzo ;)

If you find an on line game that can be played with the quick start, please let me know and I will join ;)

Return to “John Carter of Mars”