Clean "forum sized" Malatra: Living Jungle logo needed

Soaring above the jungles of southern Kara-Tur, the Malatran Plateau has been invisible to the natives of Abeir-Toril for thousands of years. Most sages consider the area nothing more than an uninteresting wilderness.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Clean "forum sized" Malatra: Living Jungle logo needed

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:08 pm

We need a clean version of a Malatra: Living Jungle logo for the forum, at some point.

The logo is going to need to be converted down into a 90 x 30 PNG image (with a transparent background).

I'm not sure if a logo was ever nailed down, but page 3 of the Living Jungle Campaign PDF might work well as a forum logo.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Clean "forum sized" Malatra: Living Jungle logo needed

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:49 pm

How's this one?

Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:22 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:49 pm
How's this one?

It looks great!

I've gotten it uploaded to the server. If I don't see a more appropriate Malatra or Living Jungle logo*, I'll use that one (when the time comes).

* = I didn't play in the original Living Jungle campaign, so there might be a logo that I don't know about.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:00 pm

I've been pointed at another Living Jungle logo, by some Malatra: Living Jungle fans on Faceborg. Here is a copy of the logo:

Living Jungle designer, Stephen Jay, said he is going to try to get me a larger version of this logo.

I'm not sure if a coloured version is available.

I don't see this on the Wayback Machine archive of the official website, but the Wayback Machine often misses some of the images on pages.

It is interesting to note that both of these logos use the same typeface of text. So I think this is an evolution of the same design.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:57 am

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:00 pm
I've been pointed at another Living Jungle logo, by some Malatra: Living Jungle fans on Faceborg.
That logo is going to have the challenge of being twice as tall as you're looking for with the 30x90 limitation (or half as wide, if you really want to squish it down). I don't know that it will be legible if it's smooshed down to 30 pixels in height. With the ferns and the vines and the gecko, I find it hard to read at that size.

I didn't spend time with transparencies, but here's a quick look after it's been sized:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:50 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:57 am
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:00 pm
I've been pointed at another Living Jungle logo, by some Malatra: Living Jungle fans on Faceborg.
That logo is going to have the challenge of being twice as tall as you're looking for with the 30x90 limitation (or half as wide, if you really want to squish it down). I don't know that it will be legible if it's smooshed down to 30 pixels in height. With the ferns and the vines and the gecko, I find it hard to read at that size.
Logo size has been a constant challange at The Piazza.

Ashtagon has always gone for keeping logos in the correct aspect ratio, but not all campaign settings or rules systems have logos that are similar to a 90x30 canvas.

The Dragonlance logo was one that was a challenge because of it's width. There are two Dragonlance logos. The second one is a slightly easier fit, but we really wanted to use the original one. In the end we cheated and used the Dragonlance Movie logo, which is an altered version of the original Dragonlance logo, with the ends of the lance reduced in length.

Spelljammer, World of Warcraft and Scarred Lands, were all logos that were taller than most other logo (instead of wider than most logos like Dragonlance). That created the opposite problem. The solution there was that the logos were made to be smaller than other logos (like Dragonlance) and that blank space was added to the left and right side of the image (to keep them centred).

Spelljammer is actually so small that you can't see the spear and you can't see the letters of the logo clearly. But most fans know the shape and fill the details in themselves. We cheated (again) with the World of Warcraft logo, using the MMO logo instead of the RPG logo (to avoid having to have "The Roleplaying Game" in unreadable letters on the forum icon). And the challange with Scarred Lands is that there is stuff above the "S" in "Scarred" and below the "L" in "Lands" that makes the left side of the logo taller than the right side.

And you know of our problems with using the circular logo that 13th Age uses.

I think that people are sometimes tempted to stretch or squish logos, in order to make the most out of the 90x30 canvas, but those transparant pixels above and below wide logos and to the left and right of tall logos help sell the illusion that people are looking at a list of logos that are all lined up one above the other. It's strange how doing one logo wrong makes people suspend their disbelief and gets them looking at all the logos to see what is wrong with them. :)
Tim Baker wrote:
I didn't spend time with transparencies, but here's a quick look after it's been sized:

I can't get that to load, for some reason. :?

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:45 am

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:50 pm
I think that people are sometimes tempted to stretch or squish logos, in order to make the most out of the 90x30 canvas, but those transparant pixels above and below wide logos and to the left and right of tall logos help sell the illusion that people are looking at a list of logos that are all lined up one above the other. It's strange how doing one logo wrong makes people suspend their disbelief and gets them looking at all the logos to see what is wrong with them. :)
Definitely don't squish or stretch them. As soon as something looks off, people will notice it, and it will be far worse than just being grainy.

The problem with the Living Jungle logo is that I don't feel that it's easily recognizable. It's a niche setting, and how many people will recognize that logo? I sure didn't. Squish it down until it's unreadable, and you've lost the whole point of a logo -- the brand recognition.
Big Mac wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:
Hmm. Try looking at the one in the second comment on this thread, then: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ThePiazza/ ... Q3TQofiWLQ

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:33 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:45 am
Big Mac wrote:
Definitely don't squish or stretch them. As soon as something looks off, people will notice it, and it will be far worse than just being grainy.

The problem with the Living Jungle logo is that I don't feel that it's easily recognizable. It's a niche setting, and how many people will recognize that logo? I sure didn't. Squish it down until it's unreadable, and you've lost the whole point of a logo -- the brand recognition.
True. And that logo has not been used on most of the documents I have seen, either.
Tim Baker wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:45 am
Big Mac wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:
Hmm. Try looking at the one in the second comment on this thread, then: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ThePiazza/ ... Q3TQofiWLQ
You are right.

The jungle elements look interesting, when the logo is large, but they are just noise, when it is reduced.

Return to “Malatra: The Living Jungle”