[Malatra] Where's a Good Place to Start?

Soaring above the jungles of southern Kara-Tur, the Malatran Plateau has been invisible to the natives of Abeir-Toril for thousands of years. Most sages consider the area nothing more than an uninteresting wilderness.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

[Malatra] Where's a Good Place to Start?

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:42 am

Howdy Malatra fans. I've noticed an uptick in the number of posts related to Malatra, lately. I'm glad to see there's a vibrant community for one of the lesser-known D&D settings! As someone who knows very little about the setting, where's a good place to start? Are there free resources that summarize that's cool and different about the setting? Since it's part of the Realms, has there been anything new released on the DM's Guild?

And while I'm thinking about it, have you considered a sub-forum for Malatra? With the Piazza index only going back a certain amount of time, it can be hard to find Malatra posts that are "oldies but goodies." A sub-forum would help with that. It might be worth checking to see if you've hit critical mass, and then make the request.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Malatra] Where's a Good Place to Start?

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:32 pm

I made a [Malatra] Other Malatra Websites (& Free Downloads) sticky, back in 2009.

There might be a few resources that are missing from it (as I've not checked it since 2016) but it has some good newbie-friendly information there that could help you evaluate the campaign setting.

I'm not aware of anything on DMs Guild, but Malatra: The Living Jungle is wholely inside of Kara-Tur, so should be covered by the same licence that applies to other Forgotten Realms subsettings. :)

Malatra: The Living Jungle is inside Kara-Tur, but it uses some radically different monsters.

The elevator pitch for the setting is this: Alien creatures from space get hunted by enemies and flee to Kara-Tur, where they construct a magical shield that makes the entire Malatra plateau invisible from both wildspace and the ground. They then bring in creatures and races that suit their purposes, before vanishing, leaving behind a lost world, where dinosaurs and various jungle monsters threaten the implanted tribal groups that they abandoned.

I'm still learning about this ancient lost race that created the magical devices that surround and protect the Malatran plateau, but it's possible that they were killed off, as the magic around the Living Jungle has not been renewed.

There is a second spacefaring race there (the Oscray). They look very similar to the Scro, but they came to Toril trying to escape from the Elven Navy and crashed into the magical shiled above Malatra. I was mostly interested in the Oscray, when I first started to learn about Living Jungle, so I have some gaps in my knowledge, but I think all the other races have their own unique selling points.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [Malatra] Where's a Good Place to Start?

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:28 am

Thanks for the link to the websites/downloads page. That's handy! And I also appreciate the high level summary.

Something I couldn't get a great answer to in my relatively brief browsing: what conflict drives the adventure plots? Are characters seeking riches? Just trying to eek out their survival? I've heard factions mentioned -- is there a larger conflict between factions that drives much of the adventure?
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Return to “Malatra: The Living Jungle”