What 5th Edition Greyhawk product should WotC publish?

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

What 5th Edition Greyhawk product should WotC publish?

Postby Big Mac » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:04 am

Wizards of the Coast have put quite a few 5th Edition products with a Forgotten Realms tie-in (and one with a Ravenloft tie-in).

Based on what you have seen there, what sort of product do you think they are likely to publish as the first 5th Edition Greyhawk product?

Is there an area of the Flanaess that you think they should focus on for an Adventurer's Guide?

Does Greyhawk have an implied plotline that you think could be made into the basis of an epic adventure that touches on details in dozens of classic Greyhawk products?

Would you like to see something else?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: What 5th Edition Greyhawk product should WotC publish?

Postby Zudrak » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:50 pm

My suspicion is that they are abandoning Greyhawk. It seems they are stripping it of all of its classic adventures and porting them to Forgotten Realms. I thought it was bad enough in 1986-1989 when things planned for Greyhawk (Underdark, Oriental Adventures) were fleshed out in Faerun instead.

Now, it's worse: they're taking GH adventures and refitting them to FR.

YMMV.
Zudrak
Orc

Postby Zudrak » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:10 pm

On a more positive note, I would like to see what we GH fans wanted in the mid-80s: The Underdark, Oriental Adventures lands, and continent of Oerik expanded. I am hopeful GH will be "unlocked" for the DM's Guild soon, so the plans of Joe "The Greyhawk Grognard" Bloch can come to pass:

http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-great-greyhawk-survey-results.html?m=1
Zudrak
Orc

Postby Maedhros » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:23 pm

I know this isn't WOTC's game these days but I miss a solid Book for the campaign setting (Actually I miss Box sets and poster maps) so next I want a Greyhawk Campaign Setting Book (Box)

and then one for all the others

and a big map :)
Maedhros
Goblin

Postby sam » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:43 am

I think if WotC really wants to bring Greyhawk "back", the first thing they will do is to make a lot of changes to the set, let it become more "fashionable".Or, they only extend Greyhawk 2000.
sam
Hobgoblin

Postby Angelika Tatsu » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:05 am

sam wrote:Or, they only extend Greyhawk 2000.
I would be all over that!
In morte veritá.

Projects: Erath (TBD), Sundered Realms
Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Postby Marco Fossati » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:02 am

I would like to see a solid book for campaign setting and a smaller book focusing on Free City of Greyhawk area.
Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Postby pawsplay » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:45 am

I think Greyhawk isn't different enough from FR that they are willing to risk splitting the brand. The cosmology is different, and there are some finicky differences between the elf and dwarf races, and that's about it. I would argue that with all the cataclysmic stuff that has happened, FR has lost some its unique qualities, making it even harder to draw a distinction.

I'm not sure what they should publish. It seems like with the 5e rules and the Greyhawk boxed set, you would have a lot of material to game for a long time. I'm not sure how much value Greyhawk has as a brand, outside certain old school gamers.
pawsplay
Gnoll

Postby Zudrak » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:06 pm

pawsplay wrote:I think Greyhawk isn't different enough from FR that they are willing to risk splitting the brand. The cosmology is different, and there are some finicky differences between the elf and dwarf races, and that's about it. I would argue that with all the cataclysmic stuff that has happened, FR has lost some its unique qualities, making it even harder to draw a distinction.

I'm not sure what they should publish. It seems like with the 5e rules and the Greyhawk boxed set, you would have a lot of material to game for a long time. I'm not sure how much value Greyhawk has as a brand, outside certain old school gamers.

We could certainly find that out, if they open up the DM's Guild and they release sales figures. :D
Zudrak
Orc

Postby willpell » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:02 pm

The Greyhawk pantheon is pretty different, as is the very nature of how gods work. That would be where most of my interest would like.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby DirtSkull » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:11 pm

What classic Greyhawk writers are still around that they would consult. My bet is Lenard Lakofka. They(WOTC) should start with a fresh GH Gazetteer and then the The Secret of Bone Hill L series in a one hardback campaign.
DirtSkull
Gnoll

Postby Dread Delgath » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:55 pm

The last I heard from Len Lakofka was shortly after the release of L3 "Deep Dwarven Delve" (iirc), and he was still working on L4 & L5. I believe he was going to release them both for free, but L5 was such a behemoth that it required a lot of editing.

Sorry, no links, I'm running purely on speculative memory, so google it if you doubt me. I wouldn't blame you for it, I doubt most of what I have to say some of the time, and some of what I post most of the time. ;)

If I were to release anything Greyhawk, it would center squarely on Castle Zagyg and the City of Greyhawk. I really don't know what they could do next, because they've already done Elemental Evil & Giants releases, and they ain't for Greyhawk! :(

Castle Maure, perhaps, but who knows how Rob Kuntz weighs in on that?
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Frost Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby Blackleaf » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:16 pm

I would love to see a Greyhawk Adventures hardback but that seems very unlikely currently. The have dropped some GH Easter Eggs here and there so hopefully they open it up to the DM's Guild for others to work on the setting. No quite sure why they're holding back on letting people design stuff for Dark Sun, Spelljammer and GH as the survey data they released suggests very few players use those settings so what do they have to lose?
Blackleaf
Orc

Postby Havard » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:34 am

Blackleaf wrote:I would love to see a Greyhawk Adventures hardback but that seems very unlikely currently. The have dropped some GH Easter Eggs here and there so hopefully they open it up to the DM's Guild for others to work on the setting. No quite sure why they're holding back on letting people design stuff for Dark Sun, Spelljammer and GH as the survey data they released suggests very few players use those settings so what do they have to lose?

Hi there Blackleaf! :)
Welcome to the Piazza! If you have the time later, feel free to introduce yourself to the rest of the gang in the Hello Thread.

I agree with you. I wish they would go back to providing setting books for Greyhawk and the other settings, even if it was just one core book for each world. Now I think you are right that this is unlikely to happen any time soon, but WotC policy on such things have changed in the past so it is always possible they could swing back to that business model at some point.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:57 pm

I want a campaign gazetteer book, detailing the basics of each nation and some details on notable NPCs and key locations in each.

Perhaps an adventure at the end of the book that is modular, allowing the GM to use chosen locations and NPCs of selected CRs.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Blackleaf » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:31 am

On the D&D Talk podcast (can't remember which one sorry) Mearls' said they did intend to 'get to' other classic settings 'eventually.' With the plan being to keep the core rules for 5e running for a long time you never know.

The idea of City of Greyhawk book is a great idea, love the 2e boxset.
Blackleaf
Orc

Postby Dread Delgath » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:03 am

There are so many good modules set firmly in the World of Greyhawk, and I've been looking over a few of them these last few days, thanks to a query on another forum. I have my favorites, due to the peculiarities of running them for the first time nearly 40 years ago, but these are rarely considered favorites by most other AD&D aficionados, but that's okay with me. :cool:

A couple of my favorites showed up in Tales of the Yawning Portal, and surprisingly little was done to alter the actual adventures to place them in the Forgotten Realms. However, I was on DM's Guild yesterday and I noticed that someone has done a version of the Scarlet Brotherhood set somewhere in the Forgotten Realms. At least I don't think SB was an official Greyhawk setting product, so there is a little consolation.

The direction that WotC took as far as Greyhawk material was concerned in 3.4 was to introduce a lot of new "official" material set in the Western part of the Oerik continent, but that always left me cold - as I still have a bone to pick about supplanting my own home-brewed campaign material - some dating back to the early to mid 1980's. :P :lol:

I hope that 5e continues the trend to reinforce older gaming styles - including the Greyhawk setting, although FR is the official WotC setting for D&D now.

Anyhoo, I'd love to see a spate of Greyhawk setting modules published intact for 5e: Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure, Isle of the Ape, Dungeonland/Land Beyond the Magic Mirror, Castle Greyhawk/Ruins of Greyhawk/Castle Zagyg, the Slavers Series, Ghost Tower of Inverness, Secret of Bone Hill, the U series, UK series, the rest of the S series, Hommlet & Temple of Elemental Evil, ugh, the list runs on, and it is hard to make a choice past Greyhawk Castle & City of Greyhawk!
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Frost Giant

Postby Cebrion » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:01 pm

A World of Greyhawk gazetteer is sort of must, seeing as the newer crowd would really need to be informed of what the campaign world is all about. A sturdy FFG style boxed set (i.e. a box that won't fall apart after it is opened dozens of times) would be rather nice.

I wouldn't want to see a straight up dissertation type book on any city; even the City of Greyhawk. I am going through the current 5E Ravneloft right now, and what I really like most about it, other than the very creative details and interesting encounters it includes, is that the adventure is written such that the characters must travel all around Barovia to accomplish various things. By doing so, we the players are getting a great overview of the towns therein and the lands all about. Along those lines, if any sort of city books were to be published, I would really like to see them written as adventures set in and around those cities, such that the characters would similarly get a great introduction to the cities and surrounds, and all without having to know who lives in every house and what their stats are. A DM really doesn't need that much detail for a city area, but developing a sense of what it is like for the players is a very good thing. Spend more time writing stuff useful to actually playing the game and less time ruminating on the names and stats of the villagers who live in cottage #538, or how many hit points the mule in stall number five at The Restful Inn has. :P The inclusion of an overall map of the city and a map of the city and surrounds would be nice.

Other than that, I would tell WotC to get off their lazy arses and write adventures that are completely and utterly NEW set in areas that nothing has been set in, rather than go with "Temple of Elemental Evil CCXXIV: The Realmsening" or "Against the Giants DCLMXXXXIII: The Giantening" or Scourge of the Slave Lords MMMCIXVII: The Scourgening" or "Scorcher VI: Global Meltdown. Here we go again. Again."
Last edited by Cebrion on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cebrion
Hobgoblin

Postby willpell » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:50 pm

Cebrion wrote:A World of Greyhawk gazetteer is sort of must, seeing as the newer crowed would really need to be informed of what the campaign world is all about.

Yeah, I've looked through the entire Living Greyhawk Gazetteer from 3E, and I *still* don't know what Greyhawk is "about", beyond being Gygax's original setting. Not much about it seems particularly unique in any way I can really put my finger on; with them having moved onto FR (which feels a little more "unique" to me, though not close to Eberron and Dark Sun and such) as the default, I'm really puzzled as to how you identify Greyhawk's uniqueness by comparison.

Other than that, I would tell WotC to get off their lazy arses and write adventures that are completely and utterly NEW set in areas that nothing has been set in, rather than go with "Temple of Elemental Evil CCXXIV: The Realmsening" or "Against the Giants DCLMXXXXIII: The Giantening" or Scourge of the Slave Lords MMMCIXVII: The Scourgening" or "Scorcher VI: Global Meltdown. Here we go again. Again."

I for one will never get enough of Temple of Elemental Evil. :)

I don't recognize "Scorcher" or "Scourge of the Slave Lords"; what are their 5E equivalents?
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Dread Delgath » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:17 pm

willpell wrote:
Cebrion wrote:A World of Greyhawk gazetteer is sort of must, seeing as the newer crowed would really need to be informed of what the campaign world is all about.

Yeah, I've looked through the entire Living Greyhawk Gazetteer from 3E, and I *still* don't know what Greyhawk is "about", beyond being Gygax's original setting. Not much about it seems particularly unique in any way I can really put my finger on; with them having moved onto FR (which feels a little more "unique" to me, though not close to Eberron and Dark Sun and such) as the default, I'm really puzzled as to how you identify Greyhawk's uniqueness by comparison.

I think it was unique in that it was a humanocentric campaign, where the human kingdoms spent as much time warring with each other as with monstrous forces. The campaign was born out of Chainmail & the Fantasy Campaign Supplement, so, that may have been one unique kernel that wasn't the basis for the Forgotten Realms, although that certainly could be done.

I'm sure there are other unique aspects of Greyhawk that I am just not thinking of right now, and that may be worth a new thread topic in the appropriate forum. (I'll have to work on that later tonight, perhaps.)

I for one will never get enough of Temple of Elemental Evil. :)

I don't recognize "Scorcher" or "Scourge of the Slave Lords"; what are their 5E equivalents?

:lol: You haven't seen the opening trailers for "Tropic Thunder" then?

Scourge of the Slave Lords was a 1e 'supermodule' combining all A1-A4 modules with quite a bit of extra writing to link them all in a storygame.
Dread Delgath
Frost Giant

Postby willpell » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:00 pm

Dread Delgath wrote: :lol: You haven't seen the opening trailers for "Tropic Thunder" then?

No.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Dread Delgath » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:39 pm

willpell wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote: :lol: You haven't seen the opening trailers for "Tropic Thunder" then?

No.

Tropic Thunder is a comedy about a group of actors who are brought on to make a Vietnam war movie epic based on a best-selling book by a vet who survived, and is expected by the studio head (played by a brilliant Tom Cruise) to be a huge money-grossing movie event.

The movie begins with several fake movie trailers promoting each of the actors' other best selling movie series and endless money-grabbing sequels. "Scorcher VI: Global Meltdown. Here we go again. Again." is one of those fake movie trailers features one of the actors (played by Ben Stiller) and is a spit-take on movie series like Die Hard, Rambo, Lethal Weapon, and the like.
Dread Delgath
Frost Giant

Return to Greyhawk