The Pale - Reference to Irish History?

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

The Pale - Reference to Irish History?

Postby Havard » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:25 pm

I just realized that The Pale is also a term used about a part of Ireland during the time of Henry VIII:

Origin of the name[edit]
The word pale derives ultimately from the Latin word pālus, meaning stake, specifically a stake used to support a fence.[4][5] From this came the figurative meaning of boundary and eventually the phrase beyond the pale, as something outside the boundary.[6] Also derived from the "boundary" concept was the idea of a pale as an area within which local laws were valid. The term was used not only for the Pale in Ireland but also for various other English colonial settlements, notably English Calais. In addition, the term Pale of Settlement was applied to the area in the west of Imperial Russia where Jews were permitted to reside.

Does any of this fit with The Pale of Greyhawk?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: The Pale - Reference to Irish History?

Postby Cthulhudrew » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:40 pm

Interesting. The Theocracy of the Pale doesn't really have a lot in common with Irish history per se, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the term is where Gygax derived the name from. The Pale was formerly a part of Nyrond, and is something of a borderland at its edges. Gygax knew and used a lot of obscure terminology.

ETA: Looking at some of the other Pale terms, the Russian Pale of Settlement might actually be a bit more directly influential, given the religious histories of both the RW Pale and fantasy Pale regions.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby combatmedicreturns » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:06 am

Calais was a pale too, for a couple of hundred years.
Given Gygax's warhaming and historical interests, it seems likely to me he had read about the history of the English in Calais.

But I think Gygax probably just had in mind "pale" as an archaic word for borderland region, and did not intend any specific historical allusion or analog. I don't see any strong Irish history parallels, at least.
But this is only a guess. I'm hardly an expert.

The Pale of Settlement, brought up by Cthulhudrew, brings to my mind a very different but distantly related historical concept, one which I doubt Gygax's had in mind at all.

The Palites seem sort of like Israelites. Monotheists in a world of polytheists. They have a historic homeland, but it has been occupied in the past. Poor relations with other cults.
Theocratic rule (Hasmonean priest-kings, perhaps).
Different climate, of course.
I don't mean that they should have Hebrew or Aramaic names.

Ogon Tillit

I suppose it could be like Ogen and Tallit.

Ogen is a Hebrew name. I looked it up. Tallit is the prayer shawl.

But this is me reading back into the name. I'ts probably just a fantasy name that doesn't mean anything.

I note that the Pale is not really defined as a theocracy dedicated to Pholtus until the dawn of 2E, a few years after Gygax left.
Fate of Istus gets into detail about all that.

The Dragon magazine articles from the early GH period actually note that Wee Jas is important in The Pale. The text does not say she's the principal deity.
I'd have to check, but I don't think anything TSR published before Fate of Istus makes the Pholtus-Pale connection.

But doesn't Gygax do it in one of the non-TSR Gord books?
combatmedicreturns
Orc

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:14 pm

Thanks for the input! I guess Pale is mainly just a name for a border region as you guys are saying.

The religious aspect of Greyhawk's The Pale is another interesting part of this discussion though since Ireland became such a stronghold of Catholicism on the British Isles. It would be interesting to learn if the decision for making The Pale a Theocracy was something linked to this idea from the beginning or perhaps that other authors inserted, consciously or subconsciously thinking about Irish history?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to Greyhawk