Faction: Flat Oerth Society

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Faction: Flat Oerth Society

Post by Dragonhelm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:01 am

I had the idea tonight of creating a new faction for Greyhawk called the Flat Oerth Society. This is, of course, a parody of the flat earth people. I feel that it's in the spirit of Greyhawk with the pun too.

Question is, do the people of Greyhawk know that the world is round? And how would they feel about folks who claim the world is flat?

Any other ideas on how to expand this?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: Faction: Flat Oerth Society

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:30 am

Perhaps the common consensus IS that the Oerth is flat, and those "round-Oerthers" are deceived puppets of the 'jammer conspiracy!
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:43 am

If the official maps of the Flanaess are assumed to be completely accurate, Oerth must be flat, because a flat map of a round world will inevitably have distortion. If Oerth is round, the northern hexes should be smaller than they appear and the southern hexes larger.

If Oerth is round, the natives can verify this as Eratosthenes of Cyrene did, by measuring the angle of the sun at different points of the globe. There's also spelljamming and divination spells.

St. Cuthbert's symbol is a flattened hat and his most zealous worshipers tend to be ornery and ignorant enough that I can picture them insisting on a flat Oerth in defiance of all evidence. Perhaps they're using an arbitrary doctrinal dispute as an excuse to crack down on worshipers of Pholtus, whose portfolio includes the cycle of the sun and moons.

Perhaps they intend to use an artifact to transform Oerth into a flat world, believing such a world would be more sensible and orderly.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:37 pm

To be honest, I think a parallel to the history of our world is appropriate:

Most people - the general populace - couldn't care less what shape the world is, they have never stopped to consider it (no time) and will probably believe whatever someone educated tells them.
Educated people will know that it is spherical and be really puzzled by someone claiming that it is flat.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Like Khedrac, I'd imagine most of the populace neither knows, nor cares (nor even considers!) whether the world is flat or round or rectangular. They pretty much live their lives in one little section of the planet and may not even know too much about surrounding nations.

That said, I can defintely see this sort of thing being a hotbed in those areas of educated society, such as arguments among scholars in Greyhawk's Clerkburg, for instance. Certain factions, such as the priests of Fharlanghn, would insist that the world is round, and would point to their own faithful's communion with that deity as "proof." Others would take a more scholarly approach with science and magical measurements. A "Flat Oerth" society would definitely not feel out of place in those quarters.

(It's been a long time since I read EGG's "Saga of Old City" but this may even have been a topic of discussion during Gord's tutoring sessions during his sojourn in Clerkburg as a youth.)
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:43 am

Just checked Saga of Old City. They don't mention Oerth being flat (or not), but at one point his instructor asks Gord "what is technology?" and Gord- still a very ignorant youth (and likely representative of much of the Oerth populace), answers that it is a lie made up to fool the common people. He is promptly corrected.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Return to “Greyhawk”