[Greyspace][Luna] Tenser and Iggwilv have moon bases in Return of the Eight

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Greyspace][Luna] Tenser and Iggwilv have moon bases in Return of the Eight

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:39 am

This happened in Kevperrine's Barrier Peaks ship and Spelljammers? topic: :shock: :o :) :D :cool:
ripvanwormer wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:12 am
kevperrine wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:39 am
i also was aleays curious about the "bases" on the moon that Tenser and Iggwilv have and how they mix with Spelljammer...
Iggwilv's moon base is detailed in Return of the Eight. Iggwilv used planar magic to reach it rather than a spelljamming vessel, but the description of Luna is compatible with how Luna/Raenei is described in Spelljammer.
I have never heard of this before (or if I have, I have forgotten). I need to take a look at Return of the Eight and see how to deal with this "Secondary Spelljammer canon" to make it work well in a Spelljammer context.

There are probably other implications here (like Tenser maybe having dealings with spacefaring wizards in Greyspace and spreading some of the obscure spells that have his name in them).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: [Greyspace][Luna] Tenser and Iggwilv have moon bases in Return of the Eight

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:22 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:39 am
There are probably other implications here (like Tenser maybe having dealings with spacefaring wizards in Greyspace and spreading some of the obscure spells that have his name in them).
One base, singular, resembling a ruined Perrenlander village. It was probably not ruined when Iggwilv built it, but it had been abandoned for some time before the events of the adventure inspired Iggwilv to make use of it again. Tenser doesn't have his own base on Luna; he's in Iggwilv's base as a prisoner.

grodog
Hobgoblin

Post by grodog » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:07 pm

Iggwilv's Luna base and Tenser's Fortress of Unknown Depths are my two favorite aspects of Return of the Eight---well-worth checking out when you're able, David!

Allan.
grodog
---
Allan Grohe
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Icarus
Ogre

Post by Icarus » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:25 pm

Just for the sake of saying, BigMac …
The "moon" isn't the one of two Oerth moons which is like "our" moon.
It's described as "An Alien Jungle", "woodlands", and "dense forest" with "nightmare greenery" and is "completely foreign". Further, it is "gloomy and grim" and "the [lavender] sky is almost entirely covered with angry blue-gray clouds shot through with huge branching lightning bolts" and when the sun can be seen, it's a "pale disk". There's a ring of mountains in the distance, if the PCs manage to get a vantage to see them, and the "horizon seems unnaturally close" (because it's a small planet.)

The rest of the planet is "mostly dry land, with oceans, seas, and lakes covering only about 30% of the surface area. The topography varies wildly, from rolling, grassy planes, through deserts, verdant forests, and rugged scrublands to jagged mountain ranges. Ocean depth ranges from shallow continental shelves to abyssal trenches and circular sinkholes—which might or it might not be the remnants of meteor craters—several miles deep."

As RipVanWormer points out, that base is in ruins. They are said to be "knee-high" and of a Perrendland architectural style.
The PCs really don't spend all that much time on Luna. It's something like 7% of the adventure. (5 of 64 pages), and they don't go very far, at all … only about a 1/2 mile to a mile, I think.

If a DM wanted to, they could certainly flesh out considerable amounts of not only the adventure site, but, the entire planet. Obviously, in SJR6 Greyspace there's a lot more detail of the planet, like it's flora, fauna, magnetic poles, rotational axis, lower O2, etc. But, there's no native intelligent inhabitants, but there's plenty of hostile animal and monstrous lifeforms.

I generally imagine it something like the planet "Pandora" from the movie Avatar, if you've seen that. Although, there's plant species found on Luna that are the same or similar to those found on Oerth, only larger and more overgrown.
"And he did fly,... and he was seen on the wings of the wind."
My online Gallery of Artwork. Take a look at my illustrations!

Return to “Spelljammer”