Starship Warden (Funded KS) - Greyhawk connection?

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Starship Warden (Funded KS) - Greyhawk connection?

Post by Havard »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/67 ... hip-warden
$20,000: The Adventure of Wren: Unlocked! James M. Ward turns to the past to make the future! Long ago, Gary Gygax trapped a Greyhawk bound adventuring party on the Starship Warden. Led by Wren the Elven Prince, the party has wandered the madness of the ship ever since. In this adventure Mr. Ward creates the adventure for their rescue...or final demise. This adventure will be available in digital format at the $70 and $99 levels and print and digital at $149, $150, and $200.
Did any Greyhawk fans here invest in this Kickstarter? Is Wren mentioned in other GH material?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Starship Warden (Funded KS) - Greyhawk connection?

Post by ripvanwormer »

The adventure of the Greyhawk PCs trapped on the Warden was described in "Faceless Men and Clockwork Monsters" in Dragon #17. That article said "The names given for the characters have been changed in order to protect the innocent..." indicating that we don't actually know what their "real" names were, but the list the article gives is:

Scrag Flatchet, 9th level human assassin.
Thurible of Roaky, 9th level human cleric (played by Gary Gygax).
Dorag, 9th level human fighter (played by Luke Gygax).
Nivell, 8th level human fighter
Neb Rentar. 8th level human magic user (played by Brian Blume, filling in for Mark Ratner).
Hodkin Ap-Awrd, 6th level fighter/5th level half-elven magic-user (played by Ernie Gygax).
3 NPC gnolls.

Jim Ward DMed (ShipMastered, technically, since this was Metamorphosis Alpha) this part of the adventure, but the previous installment, in which the characters were sent to the Warden via a cursed scroll, was DMed by Gary Gygax.

Presumably Wren the Elven Prince was "Hodkin Ap-Awrd," since that's the only character on the list with elven blood. Ernie Gygax also played Melf, who was an elven prince.

According to the article, the only characters who escaped were Neb Rentar and one of the gnolls, with the others remaining trapped on the ship. The only one of these characters to appear in other Greyhawk sources was Neb Rentar, who was mentioned (as Neb Retnar) in Iuz the Evil as part of the adventuring party who freed Iuz, and who subsequently went insane.

TregMallin
Kobold

Post by TregMallin »

I thought Melf the Elf was played by young Luke Gygax.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

TregMallin wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:12 pm
I thought Melf the Elf was played by young Luke Gygax.
Ah, yes, you're right.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath »

The Starship Warden is a sandbox adventure setting written by James M. Ward and Christopher Clark. It is intended for use with the StarSiege RPG, a Siege Engine game, (Free with this Kickstarter). But, if you are loyal to the old MA, don't despair, the Starship Warden is written to allow you to use your original Metamorphis Alpha Rules and begin a lifetime worth of play.
Isn't Siege Engine the Castles & Crusades rules?
“Did I do anything wrong today, or has the world always been like this and I've been too wrapped up in myself to notice?”

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Dread Delgath wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:29 pm
Isn't Siege Engine the Castles & Crusades rules?
Yes, that's the name of the core game system. It's also used for the Amazing Adventures game, which is compatible with Castles & Crusades, but focuses on pulp genres. StarSiege is a setting and additional rules for Amazing Adventures, and thus uses the Siege Engine.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Havard wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:47 pm
Did any Greyhawk fans here invest in this Kickstarter?
I did. You can learn more about how this adventure ties to Gary Gygax's Greyhawk campaign on the latest episode of the Crusader podcast.

Return to “Greyhawk”