Greyhawk demi-human population map

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

SinLeqiUnninni
Goblin

Greyhawk demi-human population map

Post by SinLeqiUnninni »

I made a rough draft of demi-human populations in Greyhawk, based on the World of Greyhawk Folio. Made with ArcGIS 10.7 and GIMP. All other relevant details should be in the map. If they aren't, I need to fix the map.

Thought people here might enjoy, and have some criticisms/feedback before I call it finalized and switch the data for a humanoid one.

For a later version I thought it might be cool if I had the coats of arms for the demi-human states running down the sides, but I haven't done that yet.

Apologies for using a link instead an embeded image. I uploaded it to DeviantArt, and it have yet to figure out how to link to an image thumbnail hosted there.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Greyhawk demi-human population map

Post by Big Mac »

Thanks for making this.

I'm pretty sure I've seen another map (maybe one with the human subraces) that had a bunch of arrows showing population movement.

Is there any data on movement of demihuman races?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

tsrorexx
Kobold

Post by tsrorexx »

Are you using .shp or Feature Classes? Would you care to share files? The Flanaess in a GIS is dangerous for me, but that would be a fun time-sink.

SinLeqiUnninni
Goblin

Post by SinLeqiUnninni »

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:02 pm
I'm pretty sure I've seen another map (maybe one with the human subraces) that had a bunch of arrows showing population movement.

Is there any data on movement of demihuman races?
The human migration map is included in the folio and the boxed set. There's another, in my opinion less clear, migration map that shows the same thing in From the Ashes. Demihuman migration isn't mentioned in any of the three sources previously mentioned. I haven't double checked, but I don't think it's mentioned in the 1e Monster Manual either. Since all the demihumans have alternate Flan names I think it's implied that the demihumans are a autochthonic, and have always lived around the Flanaess. Or, at least, have lived there before everyone else started carving out pieces of it.

All that said, I do have my own version of demihuman migration routes that I could do a mockup of, but I think I deviate from Greyhawk's assumptions quite a lot.

With humanoids there's a little more to go off of. In the first two sources, orcs had recently fled into and conquered Pomarj, for example. For earlier stuff there's a line in the timeline that mentions Suel & Baklun hiring humanoid mercenaries for their wars. So it's pretty likely that after the two empires nuked each other a bunch of humanoids fled east along with the Suloise and Bakluni.

However, in my interpretation that line would be based on surviving Suel sources. I don't know that ancient Suel scholars would see enough of a difference between say, Oerdians (or any non-Suloise human) and Orcs (or any other kind of humanoid) to put them in different categories.
tsrorexx wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:13 pm
Would you care to share files?
Yeah, totally! Right now everything's a feature class in a Greyhawk geodatabase. I know for few purposes (ArcMap Online, QGIS, and I don't remember about ArcPro but I wouldn't be surprised) features classes are less convenient that shapefiles, so I can get them to you however you prefer. I should probably convert everything in there to shapefiles anyway, before my license expires. :lol:

I've got the continent, river centerlines, land cover, and the the political borders. Plus a half finished river polygons class. Didn't get around to doing cities, unfortunately. I'd like to do some clean-up, finish the river polygons and add some numerical population data to the political features, but PM whenever with whatever service you want them sent over and I can get 'em to you.

SinLeqiUnninni
Goblin

Post by SinLeqiUnninni »

Added data I'd need for a few other interesting maps I could do with this while waiting for some things today; noticed that I omitted Blackmoor. If I recall correctly, this was because I was originally trying to merge this with the FFC map, forgot about it for six months, and then decided to just finish it recently.

Next draft will have Blackmoor, labels, a different color scheme (the purple was a compromise color, and I really don't like the dark grey for no data. I'm thinking greens for the categories, and then changing the border colors), and possible layout changes to accommodate a compass rose. Plus the projection information, which needs to be there but I didn't include. The map is in the Platte-Carre equirectangular, by the way. Whenever I see a fantasy map in "flat world" projection, I tend to treat it as if it were in that projection out of convenience. There is an official map of the Oerik outside of the Flanaess with lines of latitude so I could in theory try to figure out what projection it's actually in, if it's in one, but I don't yet have it in me to redo everything.

For future maps I'm thinking this but with the humanoids, population density, maybe proportion of population that lives in the capital city (if there's anything interesting that comes out of visualizing it), and maybe a superimposition of the Flanaess over Earth.

genghisdon
Bugbear

Post by genghisdon »

cool map! thanks

SinLeqiUnninni
Goblin

Post by SinLeqiUnninni »

genghisdon wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:05 am
cool map! thanks
Thank you!

Spent some time working on this over the weekend. Went through and collected quite a bit of data I'd need for other things in this rough format. Started going through and adding territories not included on the page 7 Folio map for which there is data for (for example, Blackmoor, Spindrift Isles, and several others). Also planned out how I'm going to present certain areas whose visualization I wasn't satisfied with (certain parts of the Ulek states, whose current presentation is a mix of personal interpretation, compromise between the page 7 map and the Darlene map, and one outright error). Pulled together some population density figures, and checked them against a Veluna figure someone who counted hexes got and they were close enough that I'm willing to accept the difference being due to me treating the standard Flanaess map as if it were projected.

Also looked through population numbers given in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer. Super anachronistic, but I wanted to see how much they were generally increased so I'd have a reference for how much I should increase them to get a less "post apocalyptic population drop" depiction to go along with the official one. Many countries in the Folio have population densities around or less than 1 person per mile, and this is with me including demi-human and humanoid population numbers where provided, such as in Pomarj and Celene.

EDIT - 2/17/2020

Blackmoor, Spindrift/Lendore Isles, Rel Astra, Verbobonc, Dyvers, and Horned Society added, will be in the second draft I post. Let me know if there are others missing!

Return to “Greyhawk”