Oerth Journal has gone down (nope - it has moved)

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Oerth Journal has gone down (nope - it has moved)

Post by Big Mac » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:47 pm

I'm seeing a message from GoDaddy saying that the Oerth Journal domain has not been renewed.

Is anyone in touch with the owner of Oerth Journal? If so, could you find out what is happening?

EDIT: Oerth Journal has moved to a blog on Blogger. Problem solved! :)
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Oerth Journal has gone down :-(

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:40 pm

You should go here.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Oerth Journal has gone down (nope - it has moved))

Post by Big Mac » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:26 am

ripvanwormer wrote:You should go here.
Thanks Ripvanwormer! You seem to have the solution to so many RPG related problems. :D
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Icarus
Ogre

Re: Oerth Journal has gone down (nope - it has moved)

Post by Icarus » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:40 am

Well, yes, it's a good idea to know that there is a blog associated with it ... but, the fact remains that it's been over 15 months since anyone posted to that blog.
There's sort of a conundrum of sorts going on over the Oerth Journal, and it's whereabouts. Since it came up, Big Mac, I know you've been following the current discussion about it in the Canonfire Facebook group. But, I will summarize for others, here:

Essentially, the current owner of the domain registration for OerthJournal.com has had trouble in the past maintaining the cost of several domains that he owns. The registration itself is good for a decade (because he paid for that much), and it's not due to expire until January 8th of 2014. But, in the meantime, the web-hosting company that provides the web space for the files themselves, and the actual HTML stuff didn't get their monthly payment kind of thing. So, what they do is so long as the domain points to their servers, they sell advertising space to random companies ... and right now, OerthJournal.com has a Japanese ad for some sort of cream or unguent that's supposed to help aging, or somesuch.
At any rate, there's a couple of us that are talking about separating the websites so that they are paid for and registered by more than a single person, and helping shoulder the load by maintaining the sites.
So, hopefully, the Oerth Journal site will be back up shortly, and it may even point to the BlogSpot site and continue hosting the OJ issue archive itself.
"And he did fly,... and he was seen on the wings of the wind."
My online Gallery of Artwork. Take a look at my illustrations!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Oerth Journal has gone down (nope - it has moved)

Post by Big Mac » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:03 am

Icarus wrote:So, hopefully, the Oerth Journal site will be back up shortly, and it may even point to the BlogSpot site and continue hosting the OJ issue archive itself.
Thanks Icarus.

Yourself and a few other people were being very generous over there. :cool:

One thing I didn't catch is if anyone has a local backup of the old oerthjournal.com website. I'm not sure if every old thing that was on the original website was reposted over on the blog.

Return to “Greyhawk”