Maragaine, ancient queen of Blackmoor

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Dartamian
Troll

Maragaine, ancient queen of Blackmoor

Post by Dartamian » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:20 pm

Looking through "The Doomgrinder" and came across the Queen's Regalia of Blackmoor.

Apparently they once belonged to "Maragaine, an ancient queen of Blackmoor. She is thoroughly evil and utterly insane, nad bent on restoring Blackmoor to the glory it knew in her lifetime."

Anymore information on Maragaine out there?
Dartamian
I'm a Troll!

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Maragaine, ancient queen of Blackmoor

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:14 pm

Nope, I think it's just a random, poorly-considered idea thrown in there by Steve Miller. Blackmoor shouldn't have had any queens in historical times (when it's an archbarony, not a kingdom) so she would have had to have lived much earlier, in the era of the City of the Gods culture. She may have been a contemporary of Sharangar Szeltune.

Or maybe she was something much, much older, something from long before any humans or anything like them existed. Maybe she was a reptilian queen from the age of dinosaurs (along the lines of a Silurian), or a queen of the Great Race of Yith.

Oerth Journal #5 mentioned an Archbaroness Morgaiste who ruled Blackmoor 200-odd years ago. The name is vaguely similar.

RobJN's Thorn's Chronicle campaign includes an ancient Blackmoorian fey queen called Morgana.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:40 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:Nope, I think it's just a random, poorly-considered idea thrown in there by Steve Miller. Blackmoor shouldn't have had any queens in historical times (when it's an archbarony, not a kingdom) so she would have had to have lived much earlier, in the era of the City of the Gods culture. She may have been a contemporary of Sharangar Szeltune.

I also thought about having her around at the time when Sharangar and her husband are active. I would have all of this be in the future of Dave Arneson's Blackmoor, but in the past of the Greyhawk/Mystara timeline.

Oerth Journal #5 mentioned an Archbaroness Morgaiste who ruled Blackmoor 200-odd years ago. The name is vaguely similar.
Indeed. They could be the same person, or perhaps Morgaiste was named after Maragaine?
RobJN's Thorn's Chronicle campaign includes an ancient Blackmoorian fey queen called Morgana.
Rob is starting to scare me here :twisted:

I posted some more thoughts in the Blackmoor forum

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dartamian
Troll

Post by Dartamian » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:55 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:Nope, I think it's just a random, poorly-considered idea thrown in there by Steve Miller.
I get the impression that you are not a fan of Steve Miller's work on this product. It is a silly concept on par with the Companion level adventure "Earthshaker" but I enjoy the campaign shaking events (most the published worlds are too static for my liking) and the adventures seeds throughout the adventure hark back to the early modules (other than they are spread throughout instead of of just put in to fill the last couple of pages).
Dartamian
I'm a Troll!

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:10 pm

I just mean I don't think Steve Miller put a lot of thought into this particular plot hook.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:53 pm

Does the presence of the Blackmoorian regalia suggest that the Doomgrinder itself is from Blackmoor?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dartamian
Troll

Post by Dartamian » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:00 pm

Havard wrote:Does the presence of the Blackmoorian regalia suggest that the Doomgrinder itself is from Blackmoor?

-Havard
The Regalia is not discovered on the Doomgrinder but in an ancient derro burial place near Doomgrinder. Also, Doomgrinder was a weapon of a people now forgotten from 8000 years ago. Don't know where that really falls in with the Greyhawk timeline off the top of my head but don't feel like the Doomgrinder is tied to Blackmoor. Just one of many adventure seed tangents sprinkled throughout the adventure.
Dartamian
I'm a Troll!

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:04 pm

Maybe, although it's discovered not in the Doomgrinder itself but in derro tunnels accessible from where the Doomgrinder was. The derro might have originally recovered it from the Doomgrinder, or it might have come into their possession another way.

Note that the Doomgrinder is stated in the adventure to be 8,000 years old, so this would be a very old Blackmoor.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:39 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:Note that the Doomgrinder is stated in the adventure to be 8,000 years old, so this would be a very old Blackmoor.
Ouch, that might be tough to reconcile with pretty much any take on Blackmoor's placement in time.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:25 am

Havard wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:Nope, I think it's just a random, poorly-considered idea thrown in there by Steve Miller. Blackmoor shouldn't have had any queens in historical times (when it's an archbarony, not a kingdom) so she would have had to have lived much earlier, in the era of the City of the Gods culture. She may have been a contemporary of Sharangar Szeltune.

I also thought about having her around at the time when Sharangar and her husband are active. I would have all of this be in the future of Dave Arneson's Blackmoor, but in the past of the Greyhawk/Mystara timeline.

Indeed. They could be the same person, or perhaps Morgaiste was named after Maragaine?
Rob is starting to scare me here :twisted:

I posted some more thoughts in the Blackmoor forum

-Havard
It took THIS long?? I must be slipping.... :P
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Aldarron
Orc

Post by Aldarron » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:25 pm

Had some thoughts on this in the thread on the Blackmoor board. :)

Return to “Greyhawk”