[Comics] In the Shadow of Dragons

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Comics] In the Shadow of Dragons

Post by Big Mac » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Over in The Squishy Bits forum, Cthulhudrew said that Kenzer & Co published two comic book series that were set in Greyhawk. One of these was an eight issue story called In the Shadow of Dragons:
  • Issue 1: The Last of My Father
    Blurb: "Dungeons & Dragons is the most popular role-playing game ever. Now, D&D returns to comics and wastes no time in wreaking havoc upon the hapless citizens of Rel Astra within the world of Greyhawk. Three powerful dragons come in search of a treasure that Rel Astra must give up or the dragons will decimate every living creature within the metropolis. There is a problem; Rel Astra doesn't have it! Four brave souls are charged with the responsibility of finding what the dragons seek before their home is burned to the ground. Can these heroes save their people in time when they do not even know what they are searching for? "
  • Issue 2: In the Belly of the Lone Health
    Blurb: "As the adventurers' dramatic journey in Greyhawk continues, Rel Astra's champions must now navigate past the hidden dangers of the Lone Heath. However, they do this with the addition of a mighty Hammerback dwarf joining the mission...much to Kiernan's dismay. Will the heroes be able to endure the treacherous swampland or will it swallow them up one by one? Perhaps the key to their survival lies with a hidden stranger tracking them since their departure from the metropolis."
  • Issue 3: Through the Darkness of Anasteo
    Blurb: "As the travelers make their way towards the Caverns of Anasteo, Lucien receives a secret order regarding his companion Kiernan. Will a hero fall to a surprise ambush within the caverns? And will the attacker be their worst enemy, their closest friend, or an unstoppable monster? Meanwhile, a mysterious stranger cloaked in white awaits the arrival of Rel Astra's heroes with unclear intentions."
  • Issue 4: The Lies that Bind
    Blurb: "After a surprise underground ambush splinters the party, the heroes find themselves set upon from all sides. Savage attacks from vicious monsters claim the life of a friend, and the rest leave the caverns disheartened and discouraged. But even more troubles await them as they journey to the city of Roland. Will the heroes find who they seek? Or will they get even less than they bargained for? Find out in the newest issue of this fantastic series!"
  • Issue 5: Guardian of the Dragonhold
    Blurb: "In this issue, our heroes travel through the Grandwood Forest seeking the Dragonhold, a magical item which may be able to save the city of Rel Astra from Blackwing and his dragon siblings. But to reach the Dragonhold, two heroes must face their deepest secrets and darkest fears."
  • Issue 6: An Eclipse of Stolen Blood
    Blurb: "After our heroes mind-bending journey through the mystical space containing the Dragonhold weapon, they meet an even deadlier obstacle... Azzre, the dragon-sibling of Blackwing and Eclipse! But Azzre does not come to do battle... he has come to deal secretly with the heroes, offering a solution they had not considered. But can a dragon's word be trusted? Must someone die before the mighty dragon Blackwing can be defeated? This issue also features the confrontation between the paladin Lucien and the convicted murderer Kiernan. Will either one walk away alive?"
  • Issue 7: Wrapped in Betrayal's Kiss
    Blurb: "This penultimate issue begins with the fearsome dragon Blackwing fast approaching the metropolis of Rel Astra. But Blackwing is not the only threat to the city... The greatest threat to the heroes lurks within their own group! Some will fight. Some will die. And one will betray them all."
  • Issue 8: Where Strangers Once Stood...
    Blurb: "The stunning conclusion to the incredible saga! The heroes face not one, but two dangerous threats ? a fearsome dragon-attack and a murderous assault by one whom they formerly called friend. Death, betrayal, murder, and revenge... it's all here. But how will it end? The answer will surprise you!"
Does anyone have these comics? How well do they fit into Greyhawk? Rel Astra is the focus of these stories. Does that city, or the other locations mentioned in the comics, appear in many other GH products?

More importantly, could the In The Shadow Of Dragons comics be raided to give you a background story or NPCs for a tabletop game?

And do any of the characters from these comics appear in any other GH sources?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: [Comics] In the Shadow of Dragons

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:12 pm

Rel Astra gets a lot of detail in Ivid the Undying and the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer. I've never read the comics, but I'm told they fit pretty well with Greyhawk canon.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:19 pm

They are solidly in Greyhawk canon. I think I only have the first 2 or 3, and I'll give them a reread later to comment further, but I know that one NPC prominently featured in the first issue, at least, is Drax the Invulnerable, ruler of Rel Astra (and an undead creature known as an animus).

The series- like the others- was set in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer era of 3E, so c. 597.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Kuronons
Goblin

Post by Kuronons » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:30 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:19 pm
They are solidly in Greyhawk canon. I think I only have the first 2 or 3, and I'll give them a reread later to comment further, but I know that one NPC prominently featured in the first issue, at least, is Drax the Invulnerable, ruler of Rel Astra (and an undead creature known as an animus).

The series- like the others- was set in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer era of 3E, so c. 597.
I do agree on that the only known character we have here is Drax.
Wondering where you find the info on the Greyhawk date ? (I must have missed something somewhere XD)

Here's the review of this comic I recently wrote on my blog (that I came back to after some years of silence... which explains my very laaaaaate answer here XD (hope you ll find some interesting info there) :
https://kuronons.blogspot.com/2018/07/d ... ow-of.html

Kuro

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:38 am

Kuronons wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:30 pm
I do agree on that the only known character we have here is Drax.
Wondering where you find the info on the Greyhawk date ? (I must have missed something somewhere XD)
I will check on that. Given how confidently I stated that at the time, I'm assuming I must have had a reason for it, but I cannot now state definitively that that was the case. :lol:
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Return to “Greyhawk”