[Hepmonaland][Nyambe] Hepmonaland-Nyambe map conversion

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

[Hepmonaland][Nyambe] Hepmonaland-Nyambe map conversion

Postby Icarus » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:21 pm

So ... I couldn't really think of any better place to put this ... so I thought I would put it here, even though it's been a bit since I've commented on this thread.
I recently got the Nyambe book in hardback (whereas I only had them in PDF before), and finally got around to doing a little bit of conversion that I have wanted to do for a long time. I took most of the important tags from the main Nyambe map, and added them to the Greyhawk Hepmonaland map.

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Post split from [Nyambe] Anyone used the Nyambe Campaign Setting? thread, in Other Worlds forum and given a new thread title including tags for both Hepmonaland and Nyambe.

I took a couple of editorial privileges, since this is essentially for my home use (and yours, too!). I omitted the nations of Boroko and Kaya Vua Samaki. Neither are specifically African in nature, having been settled in recent years by Near Eastern, and Far Eastern nations. This sort of seemed alright with me, because I wanted to place the Great Mangrove Marsh at the Pelisso Swamp, and equate them, since they both have dragons/half-dragons known to live in them. Having removed the other two nations, this left the GMM for to the north by itself, which is actually just fine, since the Pelisso is considerably further from Southern Hepmonaland than I would've liked. Also, I extended the Yano Dessert a bit, so that I could more correctly match it to Nyambe without have to re-write anything. That's about the only thing that could really even be considered conflicting with canon.
... on a similar note, I don't actually use the Nyambe names, I use canon names - I am just compiling this for reference, so that I know what cultures match up with which. Though, I'm thinking about retaining the Nyambe names and using them as sort of region names, rather than national ones. There's not really regional names in Hepmonaland, as written, and I tend to like them.

Most of the things are fitting rather well, like a location for the home area of the Yuan-ti - which happens to line up almost *perfectly* with Ichmammna, already known in GH for it's massive population of yaun-ti, specifically in the city.
But, at any rate, this is just an afternoon's work, and I will likely add in a few more labels, but this has got all of the biggest ones.

Click the image for a larger version. [Edit: I wanted to put a thumbnail of the map here, but for some reason the forum is telling me that "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. <shrug> Stoopid contpooters. Second Edit: After Dropbox has changed their linking protocols, I'm now able to add a preview and link.]

Hope y'all like it. Let me know what y'all think.
Click the image for a larger version, or click here.
Last edited by Icarus on Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:59 am, edited 8 times in total.
"And he did fly,... and he was seen on the wins of the wind."
My online Gallery of Artwork. Take a look at my illustrations!
Icarus
Bugbear

Re: [Hepmonaland][Nyambe] Hepmonaland-Nyambe map conversion

Postby Big Mac » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:07 pm

Icarus wrote:So ... I couldn't really think of any better place to put this ... so I thought I would put it here, even though it's been a bit since I've commented on this thread.

I think this subject actually deserves a new thread...in the Greyhawk forum. I'll stick on my global moderator hat on, split the thread and move it to Greyhawk.

Icarus wrote:I recently got the Nyambe book in hardback (whereas I only had them in PDF before), and finally got around to doing a little bit of conversion that I have wanted to do for a long time. I took most of the important tags from the main Nyambe map, and added them to the Greyhawk Hepmonaland map.

I took a couple of editorial privileges, since this is essentially for my home use (and yours, too!). I omitted the nations of Boroko and Kaya Vua Samaki. Neither are specifically African in nature, having been settled in recent years by Near Eastern, and Far Eastern nations. This sort of seemed alright with me, because I wanted to place the Great Mangrove Marsh at the Pelisso Swamp, and equate them, since they both have dragons/half-dragons known to live in them. Having removed the other two nations, this left the GMM for to the north by itself, which is actually just fine, since the Pelisso is considerably further from Southern Hepmonaland than I would've liked. Also, I extended the Yano Dessert a bit, so that I could more correctly match it to Nyambe without have to re-write anything. That's about the only thing that could really even be considered conflicting with canon.
... on a similar note, I don't actually use the Nyambe names, I use canon names - I am just compiling this for reference, so that I know what cultures match up with which. Though, I'm thinking about retaining the Nyambe names and using them as sort of region names, rather than national ones. There's not really regional names in Hepmonaland, as written, and I tend to like them.

I'm curious about your changes. Could Boroko and Kaya Vua Samaki have worked as colonies from Erypt and whatever Oerth ended up with instead of Kara Tur?

Icarus wrote:Most of the things are fitting rather well, like a location for the home area of the Yuan-ti - which happens to line up almost *perfectly* with Ichmammna, already known in GH for it's massive population of yaun-ti, specifically in the city.
But, at any rate, this is just an afternoon's work, and I will likely add in a few more labels, but this has got all of the biggest ones.

I'll look forward to seeing updates. :D

Icarus wrote:Click the image for a larger version. [Edit: I wanted to put a thumbnail of the map here, but for some reason the forum is telling me that "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. <shrug> Stoopid contpooters. ]

Hope y'all like it. Let me know what y'all think.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9rxydppqld4v2yu/Hepmonaland-Nyambe%20Map%20Conversion%20%5BThumbnail%5D.jpg

I think the problem is that Dropbox does not use a .jpg URL to host the actual picture - they are putting up a download page on that URL.

In any case, the URL sees to suggest this is the thumbnail version of the map. Is there a bigger version of this? If so, please would you post the URL, so I can download it.

EDIT: I found the full-sized map elsewhere. Here is the URL to download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qw5yfn62ht30nvu/Hepmonaland-Nyambe%20Map%20Conversion.jpg
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:45 pm

Like the map! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Icarus » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:55 pm

Big Mac wrote:... I'm curious about your changes. Could Boroko and Kaya Vua Samaki have worked as colonies from Erypt and whatever Oerth ended up with instead of Kara Tur?

So, one of the things about Nyambe, is that the cultural equivalent to Egypt isn't exactly touching the mainland of Nymabe-tanda like Egypt would be touching in our real-world geography. The interesting thing, though, is that there is an equivalent culture. But, they came from across the water, so in Nymabe at least, they're referred to as the "Water People".
At one point in the ancient history of Nyambe, the Water People actually invaded, and conquered for a time, part of Nyambe. The region now known as Tamau-Boha is culturally a descendant of the Egyptian culture. Much in the way that ancient Kush was similar to Egypt, but different in it's own ways. The author noted in the Nyambe FAQ, "Taumau-Boha is pretty similar to the ancient African kingdom of Kush, which was in turn pretty similar to Egypt. So, if you want to make Taumau-Boha more "Egyptianized", then by all means, feel free..."
Of course, since in Greyhawk there's already an Egyptian culture that is "across the water", I don't really see the need to add to it. Also, it makes it fit rather well that they came and conquered, and when they were driven off once again, they went right back to their homeland across the water. ... which is where "Erypt" lies in GH!

I don't personally see the need to fit Near East and Far East stuff into Hepmonaland - though, it might be interesting, if one were so inclined. But, there's already martial artists and such in the Scarlet Brotherhood, and there's a great deal of contact with them in GH. Also, in Nymabe, the slave-trade was recently begun, and I think that the Scarlet Brotherhood would have a lot to do with that as well ...
So, in my mind, the Eastern cultures are a bit too far away, and there's not a direct correlation to them in GH, so, I'm not likely to try to force them in. Remember - my goal as a canon-ista is to expand on what's there, not replace or contradict it.

Though, I wouldn't see why they couldn't be added or used as inspiration for other cultures. They could certainly be used in coastal areas near Shaofeng (which is what "Oerth ended up with instead of Kara Tur"). But, the "Near Eastern" reference aren't so much for Egypt, they're more Persian. They use terms like caliph, dirham, and dinar there. So, I guess they might be used in something that's descended from the Baklunish Empire.
Last edited by Icarus on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Icarus
Bugbear

Postby Big Mac » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:56 am

Icarus wrote:So, one of the things about Nyambe, is that the cultural equivalent to Egypt isn't exactly touching the mainland of Nymabe-tanda like Egypt would be touching in our real-world geography. The interesting thing, though, is that there is an equivalent culture. But, they came from across the water, so in Nymabe at least, they're referred to as the "Water People".
At one point in the ancient history of Nyambe, the Water People actually invaded, and conquered for a time, part of Nyambe. The region now known as Tamau-Boha is culturally a descendant of the Egyptian culture. Much in the way that ancient Kush was similar to Egypt, but different in it's own ways. The author noted in the Nyambe FAQ, "Taumau-Boha is pretty similar to the ancient African kingdom of Kush, which was in turn pretty similar to Egypt. So, if you want to make Taumau-Boha more "Egyptianized", then by all means, feel free..."
Of course, since in Greyhawk there's already an Egyptian culture that is "across the water", I don't really see the need to add to it. Also, it makes it fit rather well that the came and conquered, and when they were driven off once again, they went right back to their homeland across the water. ... which is where "Erypt" lies in GH!

I don't personally see the need to fit Near East and Far East stuff into Hepmonaland - though, it might be interesting, if one were so inclined. But, there's already martial artists and such in the Scarlet Brotherhood, and there's a great deal of contact with them in GH. Also, in Nymabe, the slave-trade was recently begun, and I think that the Scarlet Brotherhood would have a lot to do with that as well ...
So, in my mind, the Eastern cultures are a bit too far away, and there's not a direct correlation to them in GH, so, I'm not likely to try to force them in. Remember - my goal as a canon-ista is to expand on what's there, not replace or contradict it.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for explaining your logic. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Icarus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:35 pm

So ... I've been a little bored, lately, and so, I decided to revisit this topic ....
I've continued the conversion work that I'd been doing, using Nyambe as a source reference, and adding the new races and such to Hepmonaland, to augment the information found in "Scarlet Brotherhood".
And in so doing, I've pretty much completed the conversion map, insofar as my purposes go.

... and so, I'm sharing it with you guys!
Keep in mind, that I'm not necessarily equating the two. I'm just using the place names for Nyambe to explain where I'm using the source material for them. Hepmonland canon is still exactly as it was.
I'm just using Nyambe to fill in the blanks, sort of. I haven't changed any of the names of rivers, or nations, or anything - just using them as markers to show where similarities, and how to understand Nyambe as it is imported or applied to Oerth.

I've added the Isle of the Overpower as its own island, though ... and I've added three other very small islands, as well. I like them, and I thought they made the coastlines look more interesting.
I thought about putting all of them in Breeka's Teeth ... what do y'all think of that? I wasn't sure which would be more appropriate.
Also included are several smaller cities/towns that filled in the spaces of Hepmonaland more ... I have a difficult time with a map that only marks City-States, and capitals. So, I thought a few more looked nice.
There's a couple of areas that remained entirely untouched ... Vay Nama, for example ... there's nothing like it in Nyambe, so I left it's area completely unequivocated.
"Yuan-ti-land" is not in the Bida Rainforest, as it would be in Nyambe, since there's yuan-ti native to Hepmonaland - they are correctly be throughout the Zolteo Jungle, in GH - not just in the southern part of it. That's just where the label is.

[OH!! And I fixed the links above! I'm sorry, Big Mac, the Droipbox links you posted are broken, because DB changed their hosting policies.]

So ... click the pic for a larger, higher-rez version of the image.
Icarus
Bugbear

Return to Greyhawk