[Rallion] Setting from D&D The Fantasy Adventure Board Game?

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Rallion] Setting from D&D The Fantasy Adventure Board Game?

Post by Havard »

"Dungeons & Dragons: The Fantasy Adventure Board Game" came out in 2003 and featured many of the D&D Iconic characters. The Board Game is set in the Land of Rallion.

In addition, two expansions were produced for this game: Eternal Winter and Forbidden Forest:

Eternal Winter:
It is the height of summer and yet a bitter chill hangs in the air. Farmers talk of stunted crops and fear of winter famine spreads across the land. A fearsome white dragon, Skraethor, has cursed the Northlands. With every beat of his heart, warmth is sapped from the earth, creating a barren and icy wasteland where only evil can prosper. Serving Skraethor are bands of vile monsters who roam the land as the cold creeps across it, leaving destruction and death in their wake.

The Heroes resolve to seek out Skraethor and drive back the Eternal Winter. Can they defeat the fiendish army of monsters and triumph over Skraethor, or will the Northland and its people suffer his malicious cruelty for ever more?

In the shelter of trees in the southern fens, they discover a barbarian lying badly wounded. There he had lain for twelve nights, kept alive through sheer determination, but as he grew weaker, wolves were closing in. Death seemed inevitable, but now fate has brought the Heroes to him...
Source: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpa ... -game-eter

In addition to the reference to the Northlands and the Drahon Skraethor, Eternal Winter introduced Morkahn the Barbarian as a new playable character. The back cover also says Skraethor has kidnapped the prince of the lost city of Magerath.

Forbidden Forest
This is the 2nd expansion for Dungeons & Dragons by Hasbro.

Objective: the adventurers have to enter the haunted woods to fight evil and find the mad druid Elwick and defeat him...

The new rules include the addition of wandering monsters and the trample ability.
Source: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpa ... -game-forb

This expansion introduces the Mad Druid Elwick and also his brother Orwick. Both are playable Druid character.

Is there anything in this information suggesting this is set in Greyhawk or is this yet another generic setting using the 3E Iconics, perhaps linked to the Kingdom of Baele or New Koratia, the world from the TH Lain novels?

If it doesn't belong in Greyhawk, I will move it later.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Rallion] Setting from D&D The Fantasy Adventure Board G

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:"Dungeons & Dragons: The Fantasy Adventure Board Game" came out in 2003 and featured many of the D&D Iconic characters. The Board Game is set in the Land of Rallion.
Does the core boardgame have any information about the Land of Rallion itself?

Is there a map or a list of locations?

You quote blurbs for the two expansions, but is there a blurb for the main game?
Havard wrote:In addition, two expansions were produced for this game: Eternal Winter and Forbidden Forest:

Eternal Winter:
It is the height of summer and yet a bitter chill hangs in the air. Farmers talk of stunted crops and fear of winter famine spreads across the land. A fearsome white dragon, Skraethor, has cursed the Northlands. With every beat of his heart, warmth is sapped from the earth, creating a barren and icy wasteland where only evil can prosper. Serving Skraethor are bands of vile monsters who roam the land as the cold creeps across it, leaving destruction and death in their wake.

The Heroes resolve to seek out Skraethor and drive back the Eternal Winter. Can they defeat the fiendish army of monsters and triumph over Skraethor, or will the Northland and its people suffer his malicious cruelty for ever more?

In the shelter of trees in the southern fens, they discover a barbarian lying badly wounded. There he had lain for twelve nights, kept alive through sheer determination, but as he grew weaker, wolves were closing in. Death seemed inevitable, but now fate has brought the Heroes to him...

In addition to the reference to the Northlands and the Drahon Skraethor, Eternal Winter introduced Morkahn the Barbarian as a new playable character. The back cover also says Skraethor has kidnapped the prince of the lost city of Magerath.
This sounds very similar to the New Koratia (TH Lain) novel Plague of Ice:
Plague of Ice blurb on Amazon wrote:Frigid cold and ice sweep across the realm at the height of summer. Arctic monsters prowl the flash-frozen landscape. To unlock the mystery, a small band of heroes must traverse the depths of a ruined, ice-clogged city that now houses only unearthly creatures and deadly traps.

Will they find the key to salvation?
That has the Iconics investigating the cold and trying to drive it back too. I wonder if both things were released at the same time.

I'll see if I can locate my copy and skim to see if I can find any names that match with what you have in Eternal Winter.
Havard wrote:Forbidden Forest
This is the 2nd expansion for Dungeons & Dragons by Hasbro.

Objective: the adventurers have to enter the haunted woods to fight evil and find the mad druid Elwick and defeat him...

The new rules include the addition of wandering monsters and the trample ability.
Source: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpa ... -game-forb

This expansion introduces the Mad Druid Elwick and also his brother Orwick. Both are playable Druid character.
I think there was a dodgy forest in the New Koratia novels too. I'm struggling to recall which book it was in.
Havard wrote:Is there anything in this information suggesting this is set in Greyhawk or is this yet another generic setting using the 3E Iconics, perhaps linked to the Kingdom of Baele or New Koratia, the world from the TH Lain novels?

If it doesn't belong in Greyhawk, I will move it later.
I had people tell me that the New Koratia stuff was not in Greyhawk (and I believed them and moved the topics out of Greyhawk to Other Worlds) but after reading the novels, I realised that they do link up to Greyhawk (and that I was advised incorrectly).

Greyhawk is the default setting for 3rd Edition, so this should be Greyhawk.

I think the thing we need to find out is if this is pre-existing Greyhawk (or New Koratia) material, or if they just made up a bunch of new places without nailing anything down.

I think that the two possible parallel stories, might mean that we have shared locations from a couple of the New Koratia books and that the storyline for the board game was written to go with the novels.

If you can find the storyline for the original boardgame, I'll see if it sounds like the storyline from any of the other novels.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:In addition, two expansions were produced for this game: Eternal Winter and Forbidden Forest:

Eternal Winter:

Plague of Ice blurb on Amazon wrote:Frigid cold and ice sweep across the realm at the height of summer. Arctic monsters prowl the flash-frozen landscape. To unlock the mystery, a small band of heroes must traverse the depths of a ruined, ice-clogged city that now houses only unearthly creatures and deadly traps.

Will they find the key to salvation?
That has the Iconics investigating the cold and trying to drive it back too. I wonder if both things were released at the same time.

I'll see if I can locate my copy and skim to see if I can find any names that match with what you have in Eternal Winter.
Plague of Ice is a similar story, but I'm not sure it is the same location as the Northlands. There is a dragon in Plague of Ice, but it is called Glaze.

The novel came out in March 2003.

One of the characters is called Sonja, and she came south from the Endless Glacier, where she used to live with her parents. If memory serves correctly she is an "ice druid" (she is a druid anyway).
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Big Mac wrote:Does the core boardgame have any information about the Land of Rallion itself?

Is there a map or a list of locations?

You quote blurbs for the two expansions, but is there a blurb for the main game?
I dont actually own this board game. I have shared what I have so far, but I will share more if I can dig it out of various websites.

Sounds like a similar setup, but it sounds like the novel has a quite different story involving other characters.... I wonder if they were working from a shared plan or if it was all just a coincidence?

I had people tell me that the New Koratia stuff was not in Greyhawk (and I believed them and moved the topics out of Greyhawk to Other Worlds) but after reading the novels, I realised that they do link up to Greyhawk (and that I was advised incorrectly).

Greyhawk is the default setting for 3rd Edition, so this should be Greyhawk.

I think the thing we need to find out is if this is pre-existing Greyhawk (or New Koratia) material, or if they just made up a bunch of new places without nailing anything down.
From what you have been telling me it sounds like WotC were going back and forth with it which really is unfortunate. If they had been more adamant about using Greyhawk, the individual designers might have been more motivated to actually do some proper research with the setting and could perhaps have used names of towns etc actually mentioned in older Greyhawk materiail instead of making up almost everything from scratch.

Would it make sense to talk about different continuities for Greyhawk as well?

I know that some Greyhawk fans prefer only the material from before the From the Ashes boxed Set came out. Is 3E Greyhawk its own continuity including everything core 3E?
I think that the two possible parallel stories, might mean that we have shared locations from a couple of the New Koratia books and that the storyline for the board game was written to go with the novels.

If you can find the storyline for the original boardgame, I'll see if it sounds like the storyline from any of the other novels.
It would be very interesting to see. I will share more if I can dig up more :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Found this:
dungeon Master's rule booklet wrote: Fear is rising throughout the land of Rallion, as dark forces wreak destructionwherever they roam. Rumours abound that aonce-defeated lich Lord has returned tomastermind the terror.Four Heroes – Regdar, Jozan, Lidda and Mialee – have banded together to find thesource of this evil and destroy it for all eternity. They set off, each ready to face whatever perils may lie ahead…
And from the same booklet on the final page:
dungeon Master's rule booklet wrote:…As he is defeated, the other Monsters wither away. Congratulations! You have outfought Necratimand the people of Rallion thank you. Peace reigns again. Yet even as he falls, Necratim mutters a finalcurse. Before the Heroes can react, a portal opens behind him and he is sucked through! The portal slamsshut, leaving a deathly silence to fall over the castle…
More stuff from that booklet:
LEVEL 1 Adventure 3: The Haunted Village
The Heroes meet an old man, who tells them the tale of the ‘Orb of True Seeing’, which lets itsowner see for miles around. So they knew the Heroes were coming! Once used, however, the Orbvanishes, usually reappearing somewhere nearby. Rumours abound that it is in the village of Yeland’s Cross, which has been overrun by Angor’s henchmen.
Objective: find the Orb to prevent it falling into the wrong hands…
…the Heroes got there in the nick of time! Well done! Next to the Orb, they find a half-scribbled ransom note that was never delivered. It seems the Sheriff is close!

LEVEL 2 Adventure 6: The Pursuit
Deciding to give chase to whatever ran from the fort, the Heroes follow a path through the forest,arriving at the two towers of Malbuck. This site is the final resting place of Thangrin the Bold, whodefeated an entire demon army wearing the legendary Cloak of Boccob. Perhaps the cloak is stillhere! If so, it must be kept from enemy hands

LEVEL 2 Adventure 7:Lair of the Troll
Thangrin the Bold’s armour and sword, theDisobedient Servant of Kord, held a special bond. Themagic power of the sword draws the armour to it andthe Heroes are led to the ancient temple of Gallamet on the edge of the forest. The temple has been takenover by Skurduk, a Warrior Troll, the one whodefeated Thangrin many years before, and only thesword can harm him.

Some more locations:

Sun Temple in Atrans (Ruined Temple of Pelor)
Map: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1780825 ... e=original

Sherrif of Holbrook - Holbrook is a town?

Skeleton Key of Kallictakus

Temple of Terror

Castle of Borash / Keep of Shadows

Lich Lord Necratim

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Rallion] Setting from D&D The Fantasy Adventure Board Game?

Post by Big Mac »

I've not dug up any information on this yet, but I've posted a topic over at BBG (Possible link between Rallion and Greyhawk or TH Lain novels?) that you might want to keep an eye on.

I wonder if there was any sort of publicity material for the board game that talked up the background story of the game.

Return to “Greyhawk”