Gygax Novel (unpublished): Shrike: The Coming Avenger

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Gygax Novel (unpublished): Shrike: The Coming Avenger

Post by Havard »

ExTSR wrote:We're proud to offer an unpublished manuscript of "Shrike: The Coming Avenger" by E. Gary Gygax (1938-2008). This is offered as an Artifact only, with any & all associated Rights explicitly Not Included.

This is a unique opportunity to own a copy of this unpublished Gygax novel. It continues a series -- Saga of Old City and Artifact of Evil (both from TSR), and the four published novels from New Infinities Productions Inc. (NIPI): City of Hawks, Night Arrant, Sea of Death, and Come Endless Darkness.

The only other known copy is in the possession of the owner of the Intellectual Property, Mrs. Gail Carpenter Gygax. She has chosen not to publish it in the last 28 years, and thus its public appearance is not expected in the near future. (See Important Legal Note below.)

Terms & Procedures

Bids via email (or phone if prequalified); use Reply to be sure the Subject begins with "FGB: Gygax".
Opening bid 1000 $US. Increments of 50 until notified otherwise.
Buyer's Premium 15% (added to the final bid, per standard FGB practice).
Shipping & Insurance as per Buyer's preference and invoiced accordingly.

Description

The artifact is a Period (1988) Photocopy of Gary's double-spaced typewritten original, consisting of 291 numbered pages plus one or more 'insert' pages (as was his custom when adding material, due to the labor of retyping). It was provided to a freelance independent contractor, and its return was not requested. It has been stored for more than 25 years in a climate-controlled non-smoking home, in an otherwise empty "Cyborg Commando" box (in fair shape at best, but included). Thus, the overall condition is Excellent.

Most of the pages have trade handouts on the reverse side promoting various products from New Infinities Productions Inc. (NIPI). This novel had been advertised at that time but was unpublished due to the collapse of NIPI.

For those concerned: Separate measures have been taken to preserve the contents of this manuscript for archival purposes.

Important Legal Note:

The title page is clearly marked "(c) 1988 Trigee Enterprises Corporation. All Rights Reserved." Every subsequent page header says "gygax 88" (Gary's method of notation).
The Owner of this Intellectual Property is clearly noted (above).
The sale of this manuscript artifact is not intended to challenge that ownership in any way.
The IP may be published by its Owner at a future time.
The public dissemination of the IP could arguably have an adverse effect on sales.

Thus, there is one Special Condition affecting this Auction:

In submitting a Bid on this artifact, the Bidder thereby agrees to treat its contents as Confidental, and agrees not to publish or distribute its contents in any way.
Source: https://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic. ... =15822&c=1

It is a bummer that any buyer will have to agree not to publish or distribute the contents. It would be interesting to see how this novel continues the story from Gygax' other novels.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Re: Gygax Novel (unpublished): Shrike: The Coming Avenger

Post by BlackBat242 »

It would be even more of a bummer if the buyer was sued by Gail Gygax for distributing "her" IP.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

BlackBat242 wrote:It would be even more of a bummer if the buyer was sued by Gail Gygax for distributing "her" IP.
Oh certainly. I would not try to suggest that he ought to do something like that. But it would be interesting to know what Gygax had written in that novel.

Anyone have any ideas as to speculate on the contents?

Mvh
Håvard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Post by BlackBat242 »

And the legal shenanigans have begun!
https://www.facebook.com/forbeck/posts/ ... 7326416022
Matt Forbeck
Yesterday at 1:47pm ·
Twitter
Did I mention I found a manuscript of an unpublished Gary Gygax novel in my attic?
https://www.facebook.com/forbeck/posts/ ... 9100806022
Matt Forbeck
10 hrs ·
Twitter
Wow. Tweet about finding an unpublished Gary Gygax novel at 1:44 PM, receive a cease & desist letter from the Gygax estate at 3:47 PM.
And yes, the C&D letter was in regards to the auction - Gail's lawyers are claiming that the manuscript cannot be sold by anyone other than her.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

BlackBat242 wrote:
And yes, the C&D letter was in regards to the auction - Gail's lawyers are claiming that the manuscript cannot be sold by anyone other than her.
I am curious about that. Can someone actually legally prevent someone else from selling a physical copy of a manuscript?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:Anyone have any ideas as to speculate on the contents?
I asked Matt Forbeck if this was a Gord the Rogue novel, via the Facebook link that BlackBat provided and he said this:
Matt Forbeck wrote:It's been decades since I actually read it. As I recall, it was about a new character in the same universe.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:
BlackBat242 wrote:
I am curious about that. Can someone actually legally prevent someone else from selling a physical copy of a manuscript?
It does seem, that most of the times I hear Gail Gygax's name mentioned is when she is trying to use lawyers to prevent people from being able to read Gary Gygax's work. :?

If she has her own copy of this, she should stop trying to prevent distribution and run a Kickstarter to get it into the hands of fans.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Big Mac wrote:It does seem, that most of the times I hear Gail Gygax's name mentioned is when she is trying to use lawyers to prevent people from being able to read Gary Gygax's work. :?

If she has her own copy of this, she should stop trying to prevent distribution and run a Kickstarter to get it into the hands of fans.
From the OP:
ExTSR wrote:The only other known copy is in the possession of the owner of the Intellectual Property, Mrs. Gail Carpenter Gygax. She has chosen not to publish it in the last 28 years, and thus its public appearance is not expected in the near future. (See Important Legal Note below.)
It is a shame that Mrs Carpenter Gygax does not show more interest in getting this book and other unpublished works by Gary published. A kickstarter or other project to get the book published would be sure to give her a profit. If she lacks the resources to pursue something like this, I am sure there are plenty of people who would be willing to partner up with her to get this done.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Post by BlackBat242 »

Havard wrote:
BlackBat242 wrote:

-Havard

Part of the issue is that he has possession of the manuscript solely because he had been hired to edit it, and when the company (New Infinities) went bankrupt, Gary told him to keep it because they couldn't pay him for the work he had done.

Without actually knowing the specifics, it appears that Gail is claiming that the physical manuscript remains the property of the Gygax Estate (in other words, her) and that therefore he doesn't have the legal right to sell it.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

BlackBat242 wrote:
Havard wrote:
BlackBat242 wrote:

-Havard

Part of the issue is that he has possession of the manuscript solely because he had been hired to edit it, and when the company (New Infinities) went bankrupt, Gary told him to keep it because they couldn't pay him for the work he had done.

Without actually knowing the specifics, it appears that Gail is claiming that the physical manuscript remains the property of the Gygax Estate (in other words, her) and that therefore he doesn't have the legal right to sell it.
I say they should both go on Judge Judy and thrash it out. :twisted:

His counter-suit would obviously be that he was told to keep the manuscript in lieu of the money he was owed.

My account with change.org is stuffed up, otherwise I would start a petition to ask Gail Gygax to please authorise Matt Forbeck to run a Kickstarter to get Gary Gygax's novel Shrike: The Coming Avenger published, and give the petition a pimp on social media.

Return to “Greyhawk”