Archbarony of Blackmoor Week

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Archbarony of Blackmoor Week

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:50 pm

Havard said, a few days back, that it is Blackmoor Week.

So I made a Blackmoorspace Week topic in the Spelljammer forum.

So I thought it might be fun to talk about the Greyhawk version of Blackmoor too.

I know we have had a few topics about Blackmoor in Greyhawk. I tried doing a search, but the forum tells me that Blackmoor is too common a word to be searched for. :roll:

Here is how Anna Meyer has depicted the Archbarony of Blackmoor in her map.

But, where do Greyhawk GMs get the information to fill out that map?

Are there any specific products that detail Greyhawk's Blackmoor? Or do most Greyhawk fans play with material written by Dave Arneson and then give it a GH reboot?

What have you done with your verion of Blackmoor (in Greyhawk) to make it fit in with Greyhawk canon?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Archbarony of Blackmoor Week

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:12 am

Big Mac wrote:Are there any specific products that detail Greyhawk's Blackmoor?
World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting (1980)
World of Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting (1984)
Greyhawk Adventures (1988)
From the Ashes (1992)
Oerth Journal #5 (1997)
College of Wizardry (1998)
The Adventure Begins (1998)
D&D Gazetteer (2000)
Living Greyhawk Gazetteer (2000)
Living Greyhawk Journal #4 "Enchiridion of the Fiend-Sage" (2001)
Dragon #294 "Artifacts of Oerth" (2002)
Dungeon #115 "Raiders of the Black Ice" (2004)
Dungeon #126 "The Clockwork Fortress" (2004)
Or do most Greyhawk fans play with material written by Dave Arneson and then give it a GH reboot?
Some have.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:20 pm

Big Mac wrote:What have you done with your verion of Blackmoor (in Greyhawk) to make it fit in with Greyhawk canon?
With Dave Arneson gone from the company, noone at TSR really knew the details about Blackmoor. The map doesn't quite fit with Dave Arneson's campaign, though it can be made to fit I think. The official details of Greyhawk's Blackmoor appear to have been inspired by tales about Blackmoor after the second Coot invasion, which is when Gary adventured near Blackmoor. The DA modules detail a much different era, so there will be some challenges adapting those modules if you want to be consistent with what is described in the published Greyhawk books.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tenn
Kobold

Post by Tenn » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:27 am

I have been using the Greyhawk version of Blackmoor as the backdrop of my most recent campaign. I read what I could find about Blackmoor (the one in Greyhawk, that is) and it was pretty sketchy. I found a nice article and history in Oerth Journal. Other than that I felt like I was on my own.

My campaign mixes Arthurian Myth with Greyhawk NPCs. The campaign starts off with the PCs as children running away from some unseen terror in a snow covered forest. As they run they hear a chanting and a fog rising about them. A screech of an owl and they feel their spirits gathered by the owl sharing the senses of the bird as it carries their form to a cave. The cave is where they regain their bodies. They continue to walk down a tunnel filled with chanting and fog. They discover that as they walk they aged into adults. They discover they are partially covered in pulsing tattoos (These resemble circuitry, and unknown to them are indicative of magics used by the Egg of Coot). As they enter a cave the chanting stops and the fog is gone. They discover that new marks are on their body, that resemble the silver claw marks of a dragon that are situated over the top of the tattoos (thus freeing the PCs from their bondage). The cave contains a bent over old man, with strangely youthful eyes. He tells them that the Charm of Making has summoned the spirit of the world dragon and freed them from the service of witches. He tells them of a powerful witch that entrapped him in another world at another time, and he is still on that world, only able to track this witch from the world of dreams. He tells them that this powerful with was not from the world he is on, but a native of this world, and after being healed from grave injuries on his world she wrecked a lot of damage before returning to Oerth. In their world her name is Iggwilv, in his world her name is Morgan Le Faye (though the PCs didn't learn that nugget until a few adventures had passed.

So a lot has happened, apparently Iggwilv has returned with the help of her adopted Earth mother, Babba Yagga. She has discovered something new, or rather very old in a backwater baroney called Blackmoor. The Egg of Coot and his strange necrotechomancy so she takes him as her newest patron. The two themes are turning out really nice, as I read that Anderson's Blackmoor had a King Uthur, and the Lich of Glendor was defeated by a Morganise.

The PCs have discovered that they have a second soul that was bound into their bodies by these witches and that they were stolen from a village by the witches on a single night as infants. As the return from the dream they discover they are adults (the enchantment made them believe they were children, even though they had aged normally over time).

Anyway I could tell you much more but that's all the time I have now.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:21 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Are there any specific products that detail Greyhawk's Blackmoor?
World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting (1980)
World of Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting (1984)
Greyhawk Adventures (1988)
From the Ashes (1992)
Oerth Journal #5 (1997)
College of Wizardry (1998)
The Adventure Begins (1998)
D&D Gazetteer (2000)
Living Greyhawk Gazetteer (2000)
Living Greyhawk Journal #4 "Enchiridion of the Fiend-Sage" (2001)
Dragon #294 "Artifacts of Oerth" (2002)
Dungeon #115 "Raiders of the Black Ice" (2004)
Dungeon #126 "The Clockwork Fortress" (2004)
Thanks for that. I have a few of those sources, so I'll have to skim through them to see what Blackmoor content I can find.
ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Or do most Greyhawk fans play with material written by Dave Arneson and then give it a GH reboot?
Some have.
I guess that would make for a slightly different game experience, to only going with the above sources. I bet the DA modules would need to have some (Mystara-specific) stuff pulled.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:23 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:What have you done with your verion of Blackmoor (in Greyhawk) to make it fit in with Greyhawk canon?
With Dave Arneson gone from the company, noone at TSR really knew the details about Blackmoor. The map doesn't quite fit with Dave Arneson's campaign, though it can be made to fit I think. The official details of Greyhawk's Blackmoor appear to have been inspired by tales about Blackmoor after the second Coot invasion, which is when Gary adventured near Blackmoor. The DA modules detail a much different era, so there will be some challenges adapting those modules if you want to be consistent with what is described in the published Greyhawk books.
I'm mostly wondering what can be used from Blackmoor material in a Greyhawk game.

It looks like you are telling me that the post-second Coot invasion era is the one to go with. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:28 pm

Tenn wrote:I have been using the Greyhawk version of Blackmoor as the backdrop of my most recent campaign. I read what I could find about Blackmoor (the one in Greyhawk, that is) and it was pretty sketchy. I found a nice article and history in Oerth Journal. Other than that I felt like I was on my own.
That's kind of where I am now. :)
Tenn wrote:My campaign mixes Arthurian Myth with Greyhawk NPCs. The campaign starts off with the PCs as children running away from some unseen terror in a snow covered forest. As they run they hear a chanting and a fog rising about them. A screech of an owl and they feel their spirits gathered by the owl sharing the senses of the bird as it carries their form to a cave. The cave is where they regain their bodies. They continue to walk down a tunnel filled with chanting and fog. They discover that as they walk they aged into adults. They discover they are partially covered in pulsing tattoos (These resemble circuitry, and unknown to them are indicative of magics used by the Egg of Coot). As they enter a cave the chanting stops and the fog is gone. They discover that new marks are on their body, that resemble the silver claw marks of a dragon that are situated over the top of the tattoos (thus freeing the PCs from their bondage). The cave contains a bent over old man, with strangely youthful eyes. He tells them that the Charm of Making has summoned the spirit of the world dragon and freed them from the service of witches. He tells them of a powerful witch that entrapped him in another world at another time, and he is still on that world, only able to track this witch from the world of dreams. He tells them that this powerful with was not from the world he is on, but a native of this world, and after being healed from grave injuries on his world she wrecked a lot of damage before returning to Oerth. In their world her name is Iggwilv, in his world her name is Morgan Le Faye (though the PCs didn't learn that nugget until a few adventures had passed.

So a lot has happened, apparently Iggwilv has returned with the help of her adopted Earth mother, Babba Yagga. She has discovered something new, or rather very old in a backwater baroney called Blackmoor. The Egg of Coot and his strange necrotechomancy so she takes him as her newest patron. The two themes are turning out really nice, as I read that Anderson's Blackmoor had a King Uthur, and the Lich of Glendor was defeated by a Morganise.

The PCs have discovered that they have a second soul that was bound into their bodies by these witches and that they were stolen from a village by the witches on a single night as infants. As the return from the dream they discover they are adults (the enchantment made them believe they were children, even though they had aged normally over time).

Anyway I could tell you much more but that's all the time I have now.
Arthurian Myth is an interesting way to fill the gap.

I'm thinking of trying to use the 3rd Edition Blackmoor Campaign Setting books myself...assuming I can work out what details need to be "cut" to make them "Greyhawk compatible".

Return to “Greyhawk”