Greyhawk locations for Yawning Portal dungeons?

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Greyhawk locations for Yawning Portal dungeons?

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:51 pm

The new Tales From the Yawning Portal book is bringing back seven D&D dungeons for 5th Edition D&D:
Wizards of the Coast wrote:Explore seven deadly dungeons in this adventure supplement for the world’s greatest roleplaying game:

• Against the Giants
  • Dead in Thay
  • Forge of Fury
  • Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
  • Sunless Citadel
  • Tomb of Horrors
  • White Plume Mountain

The book is going to have suggestions about locating the seven dungeons in four different campaign settings.

Some of these dungeons already have a Greyhawk connection. Where would you locate the other dungeons?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Greyhawk locations for Yawning Portal dungeons?

Postby night_druid » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:32 am

My guesses:

* Dead in Thay - no idea, no context on what its about.

* Forge of Fury - Probably near the Pomarj. I'd put it near the Principality of Ulek's northern border.

* Sunless Citadel - Probably in the Cairn Hills, on a road from the City of Greyhawk to Urnst.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Zeromaru X » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:29 am

Sunless Citadel wasn't in Greyhawk in 3e?
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby ripvanwormer » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:Sunless Citadel wasn't in Greyhawk in 3e?

In theory it was, but there was no specific placement.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Dread Delgath » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:59 pm

This is what the Yawning Portal suggests for the placement of the non-Greyhawk setting dungeons:

Sunless Citadel ...is a ruined Baklunish stronghold that was cast into the bowels of the earth when the Suel Imperium unleashed the Invoked Devastation. It is located in northwestern Bissel, in the foothills west of Thornward.

Forge of Fury ...stands in the Pomarj, in the western Drachensgrab Hills. ...

Dead in Thay ...Perhaps Rary the Traitor found the Doomvault -- yet another vestige of ancient Sulm -- under the Bright Desert...

I don't have a lot of context with these dungeons, but, at just a quick, studied glance, I'd set them in my (theoretical) pre-Wars Greyhawk Campaign as follows:
Sunless Citadel ...west of the town of Eku in the Spine Ridge on the neck of the Tilvanot Peninsula, close to the lands of the Scarlet Brotherhood.
Forge of Fury ...in the Hollow Highlands east of Naerie, County of Sunndi.
Dead in Thay ...the remnants of a blasted mountaintop near a forgotten city 'floating' above the Sea of Dust.

After I read through these dungeons, I'll likely change my mind. ;)
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby ripvanwormer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:34 pm

This website identifies the town of Pontyrel, in the Duchy of Urnst, with Blasingdell from Forge of Fury, and honestly I think that identification works really well. The ancestral halls of Durgeddin the Black might be what is now the orc stronghold of Harrgrek Kukulend, and Stone Tooth is what this map calls the Delagos Caverns.

Setting it in the Pomarj makes some sense, but there's no ready equivalent of Blasingdell there (not that you strictly need Blasingdell, but it's part of the adventure; Stoneheim is the nearest significant town in the western Pomarj, but it's not exactly friendly to outlanders and they're not going to offer anyone a bounty for killing orcs like the townsfolk do in Forge of Fury). The PCs could start out in Havenhill in the Principality of Ulek, though, and enter the Pomarj from there.

This article by TwiceBorn places the Sunless Citadel in the southern Lorridges, in eastern Bissel, rather than in western Bissel near Thornward, and makes it of Flan origin rather than Baklunish. But still Bissel.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Return to Greyhawk