Descent into the Depths of the Earth (spoilers)

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Descent into the Depths of the Earth (spoilers)

Postby GMWestermeyer » Wed May 03, 2017 3:54 am

So, Escalla from Paul Kidd's Greyhawk novels is a Faerie. Fair enough. But which book, from any edition (but 1e/2e especially) do Faeries appear in?I can't seem to find them. And in _Descent into the Depths of the Earth_ there is a Court of the Faeries that is on another plane, was that just invented whole cloth by Kidd?
GMWestermeyer
Hill Giant

Re: Descent into the Depths of the Earth (spoilers)

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed May 03, 2017 10:21 am

Whoops double post.
Last edited by ripvanwormer on Wed May 03, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed May 03, 2017 10:22 am

I have a lot to say on this subject, but for now check out this thread: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php ... pic&t=8582
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Wed May 03, 2017 3:18 pm

IIRC Descent into the Depths of the Earth is a sequel to the White Plume Mountain novelization by the same author. Do you know if Escalla was featured in both novels?

There is a creature called Faerie in BECMI's Master Set, though they are strange winged creatures inhabiting traits from all the other demihuman races. I am not sure if that fits with the description of Escalla? Faerie is also a term used collectively for Fey races in Classic D&D (BECMI) while the term Fey seems to have taken over from 3E and onwards.

How is Escalla described?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed May 03, 2017 4:42 pm

The From the Ashes boxed set describes the faerie Court of Rings, accessible from a portal in the Welkwood (Atlas of the Flanaess, page 66). It is considered another plane (a kind of demiplane called a Fading Land). I don't know if Paul Kidd based his faerie court on this, but there's definitely an otherworldly faerie court in Greyhawk canon. The Court of Rings may or may not be the same as the Seelie Court from Monster Mythology; they sound similar, and were created by the same author (Carl Sargent) but the Court of Rings is a demiplane overlapping the Prime Material Plane while the Seelie Court (described further in Planes of Chaos and Planes of Conflict) is said to travel between Ysgard, Arborea, and the Beastlands so their connection is unclear.

Escalla looks like an 18-inch-high elf woman with insectlike wings, so she's not exactly like the faeries in the D&D Master Rules.

She's a pretty good match for the seelie faeries detailed in the 2nd edition AD&D Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Two (1995), page 105. They're actually considered a kind of sprite and listed as "Sprite, Seelie Faerie" but they're referred to as seelie faeries in the actual description. The seelie faeries in this source range from one inch to one foot in height, so Escalla is a little bigger, but she's royalty and they don't seem to have a firmly fixed size anyway. The following page of the same book details unseelie faeries.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby GMWestermeyer » Wed May 03, 2017 5:55 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:I have a lot to say on this subject, but for now check out this thread: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php ... pic&t=8582

That sort of just restates what I already know. :(

I wonder of Kidd is interviewed anywhere.
GMWestermeyer
Hill Giant

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed May 03, 2017 8:42 pm

GMWestermeyer wrote:That sort of just restates what I already know.

What exactly are you asking, then? What do you still want to know? I feel like I answered both parts of your question: yes, there are faeries and a court of the faeries in 2nd edition.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby GMWestermeyer » Wed May 03, 2017 11:37 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
GMWestermeyer wrote:That sort of just restates what I already know.

What exactly are you asking, then? What do you still want to know? I feel like I answered both parts of your question: yes, there are faeries and a court of the faeries in 2nd edition.

I missed the post with info from Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Two, that was what I was looking for, thank you! I was refering to the Canonfire discussion.

I agree, Escalla and her family fit as 'royalty' Seelie Faerie from that source perfectly.

I'm pretty certain that is what he meant. The stone circle in't a great match. The Faerie court accessed in Descent is in the Dreadwood (great location, IMO). And I don't recall a stone circle. I need to reread these novels.
GMWestermeyer
Hill Giant

Postby GMWestermeyer » Wed May 03, 2017 11:47 pm

Interesting twist, that is a compendium of monsters TSR released in module and magazines in 1994... so, where did seelie faeries appear in 1994 products? My hunt is on!
GMWestermeyer
Hill Giant

Postby Havard » Mon May 08, 2017 1:15 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:Escalla looks like an 18-inch-high elf woman with insectlike wings, so she's not exactly like the faeries in the D&D Master Rules.

She's a pretty good match for the seelie faeries detailed in the 2nd edition AD&D Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Two (1995), page 105. They're actually considered a kind of sprite and listed as "Sprite, Seelie Faerie" but they're referred to as seelie faeries in the actual description. The seelie faeries in this source range from one inch to one foot in height, so Escalla is a little bigger, but she's royalty and they don't seem to have a firmly fixed size anyway. The following page of the same book details unseelie faeries.

Is there any reason why she could not be a standard Sprite? Not sure about AD&D Sprites, but according to BECMI sprites can be up to 15 inches so allowing for slight variations for royalty that might be appropriate.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Alzrius » Tue May 09, 2017 6:02 pm

As I recall, the novels state several times that "faeries" are simply pixies that are spellcasters. The most obvious reference that I can recall is Lolth saying that in the third novel, Queen of the Demonweb Pits.
Alzrius
Bugbear

Return to Greyhawk