Chainmail was supposed to be a Greyhawk Wars game!

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Chainmail was supposed to be a Greyhawk Wars game!

Postby Big Mac » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:10 am

I just found out, from Icarus, that the setting for Chainmail was originally supposed to be the Greyhawk Wars, but that Wizards of the Coast said no to that. And then Chris Pramas said this:
Chris Pramas wrote:Me: "Let's do the Greyhawk Wars!"
Brand: "No. GH belongs to the RPGA."
Me: "Fine. New setting."
(Later): "Chris, can you put this in GH?"

So how do people think that the Chainmail range would have worked if it was set in the Greyhawk Wars?

What factions would have been created?

What minis might each faction have included?

Chainmail included some terrain. Would different types of terrain have been appropriate during the Greyhawk Wars?

How do you think the backstory of the war would have influenced the various years of Chainmail?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Chainmail was supposed to be a Greyhawk Wars game!

Postby night_druid » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:29 am

Major factions: Iuz, Furyondy, Great Kingdom, Nyrond, Scarlet Brotherhood, Keoland, and marauders.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:12 am

I think they almost certainly would have continued with a drow set the way they planned, albeit one more directly connected to the Vault of the Drow.

A giants line would have probably ensued.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:38 am

night_druid wrote:Major factions: Iuz, Furyondy, Great Kingdom, Nyrond, Scarlet Brotherhood, Keoland, and marauders.

They certainly could have spread that mix over several years.

I wonder if they would have set some of the battle plots in specific locations.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:17 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:I think they almost certainly would have continued with a drow set the way they planned, albeit one more directly connected to the Vault of the Drow.

A Vault of the Drow plotline would have been excellent.

They did already give House Kilsek a tie-in to Drow of the Underdark, so they could have made that tie-in a lot stronger. :cool:

Cthulhudrew wrote:A giants line would have probably ensued.

Giants would be good.

They use more lead though, so would have been more expensive. And I bet they would be worth a lot of points, from a warband point-of-view.

Did DDM have giants? Maybe they have a points system that could show roughly where a giant would fit into the Chainmail system.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:50 pm

Big Mac wrote:They certainly could have spread that mix over several years.

I wonder if they would have set some of the battle plots in specific locations.

They'd have to come out with a "core" set for every army in the first year or so. Probably Iuz vs Furyondy would be the first out of the gate, followed by Nyrond & Great Kingdom. I'm guessing they wanted something that would compete with Warhammer, but decided against it and scaled back to a skirmish-level game (and imposed some goofy mechanics to prevent it from being used as a full fledged war game :p ).

It might have worked better if they had sold it as "Grats, your PC has reached level 9. Now what?" type of game. The armies in question are the PCs' followers vs threats to their lords' land and fortune.
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Havard » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:21 pm

night_druid wrote:It might have worked better if they had sold it as "Grats, your PC has reached level 9. Now what?" type of game. The armies in question are the PCs' followers vs threats to their lords' land and fortune.

I would have loved that! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby night_druid » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Havard wrote:
night_druid wrote:It might have worked better if they had sold it as "Grats, your PC has reached level 9. Now what?" type of game. The armies in question are the PCs' followers vs threats to their lords' land and fortune.

I would have loved that! :)

They probably would have had to change how followers worked, especially for wizards and thieves, but it certainly would have been interesting. A mage's army would play very differently than a fighter's army or a cleric's army.
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:10 am

Big Mac wrote:Giants would be good.

They use more lead though, so would have been more expensive. And I bet they would be worth a lot of points, from a warband point-of-view.

I forgot that Chainmail used lead minis; for some reason I was thinking that line was plastic.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Icarus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:57 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:I think they almost certainly would have continued with a drow set the way they planned, albeit one more directly connected to the Vault of the Drow.
The Kilsek expansion certainly was tied to the Vault of the Drow ... but, if it had been a Greyhawk Wars version, the Kilsek likely wouldn't have left the Vault, and Venrit would've found a way to keep the noble house there, and in power.

A giants line would have probably ensued.
Actually, that entirely was the case. That's what was, at least, the concept that was sketched out:
Chris Pramas, on ENWorld wrote: Set 5 was going to have lots of giants, dragons, and other fun stuff.
Last edited by Icarus on Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And he did fly,... and he was seen on the wins of the wind."
My online Gallery of Artwork. Take a look at my illustrations!
Icarus
Bugbear

Postby Icarus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:04 pm

night_druid wrote:Major factions: Iuz, Furyondy, Great Kingdom, Nyrond, Scarlet Brotherhood, Keoland, and marauders.
So, I was just sitting here, tryin gin my head, and in my notes to do, like:
  • Iuz = Ahmut's Legion
  • Free States (Mercenaries) = marauders
  • Furyondy = Thalos
  • Great Kingdom = Mordengaard
  • SB = Drazen's Horde??
And then, I realized, it's strange how Chainmail -and so many other games- cast things so easily in a black-and-white light. Good vs. Evil. Human vs. Orcs. Knight vs. Dragon.
I'm not saying that Furyondy is exactly what Thalos is ... but, it's interesting that in a GH Wars scenario, with the factions that you listed, there's a difficulty, because GH Wars doesn't so easily line up on black-and-white lines. GH Wars was much more in-line with what an IRL war of that kind would actually be. Not that I like the kind of uber-reality of politics and laws and such in roleplaying ... But, it is interesting to note that the factions of Chainmail really are lined up on an even-matchup kind of level playing field.
GH Wars would actually be just a lot of humans, for the most part.
I could pull out my GH Wars game set, and look ... I know I distinctly remember Elves and Dwarves being some of the forces that were available. It's far too late for me, and I'm nodding off, though.
"And he did fly,... and he was seen on the wins of the wind."
My online Gallery of Artwork. Take a look at my illustrations!
Icarus
Bugbear

Return to Greyhawk