[Greyhawk-lite][Greyspace-lite] Monsters of the Moon

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Greyhawk-lite][Greyspace-lite] Monsters of the Moon

Post by Big Mac » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:17 am

I just stumbled onto a series of four Random Encounters articles, called Monsters of the Moon that were pretty hidden on the WotC website (only the first one was listed - I had to find the other three via Google). They don't give a setting, so I'm assuming it's a core-3e (and therefore implied Greyhawk) thing. (That means I'm also assuming that any moon connection would be one of Oerth's two moons). Anyhoo, here they are: The articles are all built around a village called Dark Stone and use moon-themed monsters from Monster Manual II.

Has Dark Stone ever featured in any other product?

Is it a village from pre-existing Greyhawk canon or something new to these articles?

Have any of the Living Greyhawk regions used Dark Stone?

Has this village returned for any other web articles or articles in Dragon or Dungeon magazine?

Which of Oerth's two moons would be most appropriate to tie into an article like this? Does either of them have a lycanthrope tie-in that implies it's light has an influence on Oerth?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

grodog
Orc

Re: [Greyhawk-lite][Greyspace-lite] Monsters of the Moon

Post by grodog » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:03 pm

Big Mac wrote:I just stumbled onto a series of four Random Encounters articles, called Monsters of the Moon that were pretty hidden on the WotC website (only the first one was listed - I had to find the other three via Google). They don't give a setting, so I'm assuming it's a core-3e (and therefore implied Greyhawk) thing. (That means I'm also assuming that any moon connection would be one of Oerth's two moons).
Thanks for the pointers---the moons have held my interest since Iggwilv's moon base appears in passing in Return of the Eight.
Big Mac wrote:The articles are all built around a village called Dark Stone and use moon-themed monsters from Monster Manual II.

It doesn't appear in Zavoda's index, but that stops in 2003, so it's unlikely that it would have indexed any content from MM2, which only appeared in 2002.

Allan.
grodog
---
Allan Grohe
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:09 pm

Big Mac wrote:Has Dark Stone ever featured in any other product?

Is it a village from pre-existing Greyhawk canon or something new to these articles?

Have any of the Living Greyhawk regions used Dark Stone?

Has this village returned for any other web articles or articles in Dragon or Dungeon magazine?
I suspect the answer is 'no' in all cases. As the article said, it's just meant to be a setting for random encounters. It's noteworthy that dune stalkers are usually found in the Bright Desert, though, so it'd make some sense to put Dark Stone relatively nearby, perhaps in the Duchy of Urnst, near Hardby, or in Nyrond near the Nesser River, so that the mooncalf wouldn't have to go far to recruit it. It could also be in the Bright Desert itself. The village of Kalundi near the Brass Hills is similar enough and has "lun" in its name, which makes me think of Luna. The amphitheatre could have been built by Rary or Robilar, or it could have been constructed by the ancient Sulmites thousands of years before.

There was an "Ecology of the Mooncalf" in Dragon #340, reprinted in Dragon: Monster Ecologies. According to it, mooncalves don't actually originate on moons, but from greater monsters in deep space. However, you could easily encounter one on a moon. The moongods created the mooncalves because they're unable to exist within planetary atmospheres, so mooncalves act as avatars who can act on their behalf. Thus, one would expect to see mooncalves on Luna (and in the Grinder), but they might be unnecessary on Celene, which is a voidworld.
Big Mac wrote:Which of Oerth's two moons would be most appropriate to tie into an article like this? Does either of them have a lycanthrope tie-in that implies its light has an influence on Oerth?
According to the Glossography in the World of Greyhawk boxed set, "Most lycanthropes have their were-cycles linked to the cycles of Luna only. However, 1 of 10 lycanthropes are affected only by Celene, and another 10% are affected by either moon."

The moonrat adventure you linked to mentions that the previous full moon was "last month," which points to Luna. Luna is full every month, while Celene is full only four times a year. I'd assume that there are groups of moonrats tied to Celene instead of Luna, though; perhaps the 1 in 10 figure given for lycanthropes would also work for them. Either way Midsummer's Night, when both moons are full, would be a bad time for those who fear moonrats.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:30 am

grodog wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I just stumbled onto a series of four Random Encounters articles, called Monsters of the Moon that were pretty hidden on the WotC website (only the first one was listed - I had to find the other three via Google). They don't give a setting, so I'm assuming it's a core-3e (and therefore implied Greyhawk) thing. (That means I'm also assuming that any moon connection would be one of Oerth's two moons).
Thanks for the pointers---the moons have held my interest since Iggwilv's moon base appears in passing in Return of the Eight.
Wait! What? Iggwilv had a base on one of Oerth's moons? :o

Thanks for mentoning this. I don't think anyone in the Spelljammer community ever told me about this. I need to know more. I am totally starting a new topic for this: [Greyspace] Iggwilv has a base on Oerth's moon!
grodog wrote:
Big Mac wrote:The articles are all built around a village called Dark Stone and use moon-themed monsters from Monster Manual II.

It doesn't appear in Zavoda's index, but that stops in 2003, so it's unlikely that it would have indexed any content from MM2, which only appeared in 2002.

Allan.
Thanks.

I do feel that there is a need (at least for me) to start going through various 3rd Edition core D&D books to see how they do (or don't) fit in with earlier Greyhawk products.

I already found out that (despite people initially telling me there was not a Greyhawk link) that the 3e D&D novels were set in Greyhawk (but located in previously undocumented areas). So I'm thinking that the 3e product line might be creating various new Greyhawk locations.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

grodog
Orc

Post by grodog » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:01 am

Big Mac wrote:I do feel that there is a need (at least for me) to start going through various 3rd Edition core D&D books to see how they do (or don't) fit in with earlier Greyhawk products.

I already found out that (despite people initially telling me there was not a Greyhawk link) that the 3e D&D novels were set in Greyhawk (but located in previously undocumented areas). So I'm thinking that the 3e product line might be creating various new Greyhawk locations.
Yes, that's definitely the case---a vast body of (mostly not deeply managed and curated) lore was created for 3.x, and much of it impacts existing Greyhawk lore or introduces new lore to the setting.

Zavoda's index stops in 2003, but it does include the LGG, but I think that was all from among the 3.x era books.

Allan.
grodog
---
Allan Grohe
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Return to “Greyhawk”