Against the Giants in Post-War, how would nations react?

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

kevperrine
Goblin

Against the Giants in Post-War, how would nations react?

Post by kevperrine » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:47 pm

So idea brainstorm for my campaign. Set post-Greyhawk Wars, about a year. The player party began in Geoff. Where giants had begun rampaging out of the Crystalmists. I set the classic module-series to begin at this time.... AGAINST THE GIANTS and eventually the DROW series.

I need aid!
Politically and action of Geoff, surrounding nations, rulers, even monsters and other in-setting villains and NPCs.

As the PCs decide to flee south to get aid (Rary & Robilar! And perhaps arms from City of Gods if convince Robilar to take them!)
6 months to a year passes....

What do the Giants and their factions do??
How far do they advance?
What other nations, armies, aid - come to help?
What nations and alliances?
What nations and villains take advantage or even help the Giants?
And what are the Drow factions doing??

Overall...
Beyond my immediate player location, in far Bright Desert. What would be happening with all those politics and personalities?

Thses are just idea starters for what may happen month later when my Players return to AGAINST THE GIANTS, with wheels in motion.

Help??

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Re: Against the Giants in Post-War, how would nations react?

Post by GMWestermeyer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:36 pm

I think there are a few resources for that already. If you can get a copy, the Greyhawk novel Against the Giants depicts that scenario. I think the 2e adventure, Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff also depicts it pretty well. http://tsr.bothgunsblazing.com/gh/gh-atg.htm

vestcoat
Gnoll

Post by vestcoat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:20 pm

One year after the Wars puts you in Sargent territory. Times are dark, the giants have already taken two countries. Geoff hasn't been liberated. Two characters in the G series, Ombi and Eclavdra, serve Iuz as described in WGR5. The first thing you'll need to decide is how much control and influence Iuz has in the plot if the drow are the masterminds. Iuz's common tactic is to use threats from the south to distract nations from the northern front.

The hook for the original series is that armies AREN'T reacting, they're sending the high-level PC's. You want to have armies AND a PC strike force clearing dungeons, so perhaps multiple incursions or two battle fronts is the answer. The PC's could start out leading/supporting armies in Gran March or Yeomanry, then run off to defend the flank and stop a new threat.

Avoid a "save the world with your 8th-level characters" campaign. Greyhawk is human-centric and giants don't have the resources or organization to threaten everyone from Geoff to the Bright Lands.

The Scarlet Brotherhood and Iuz aren't going to help anybody. Ulek is busy with the Pomarj. It might be a fun campaign to play politics in Ket/Bissel or the Valley of the Mage.

Module S3 is a lot closer to the giants than the City of the Gods or Robilar. Maybe the PC's could stop there to pick up some unoerthly weaponry.
GMWestermeyer wrote:I think there are a few resources for that already. If you can get a copy, the Greyhawk novel Against the Giants depicts that scenario. I think the 2e adventure, Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff also depicts it pretty well. http://tsr.bothgunsblazing.com/gh/gh-atg.htm
The novel is a pretty dry retelling of the modules and the Greyhawk content is reduced to a few place names. The Liberation of Geoff truncates the drow series that kevperrine plans to use and changes the plot quite a bit.
Last edited by vestcoat on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vestcoat
Gnoll

Post by vestcoat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:22 pm

double post

Return to “Greyhawk”