who would back the Greyhawk Beggar's Union?

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

kevperrine
Goblin

who would back the Greyhawk Beggar's Union?

Post by kevperrine » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:59 pm

POST-War Greyhawk +1 year...

If there were an outside faction who would back the BEGGAR'S UNION - to aid in ongoing rivalry against the Greyhawk Thieves Guild?
Or... which of these factions would... support, oppose or fund the Union vs. the Guild?
and WHY

The Slave Lords
The Pomarj
Scarlet Brotherhood
The Followers of Iuz
Horned Society

others?

vestcoat
Gnoll

Re: who would back the Greyhawk Beggar's Union?

Post by vestcoat » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:05 am

Most obvious and closest to canon would be the Scarlet Brotherhood. According to FtA Campaign Book p66, their primary goal in the CoG is toppling and subverting master thieves. TSB is smart and integrated into the city enough to do it and they're already using the poor, immigrants, and rabble rousers; why not beggars too?

BTW, according to Gygax, the Brotherhood ARE the real power in the Pomarj. Sargent hinted at it. The WotC revival threw TSB out and made Mak an ex-Slave Lord. So the Pomarj is basically controlled by the Slave Lords, TSB, or both. I wouldn't consider it an separate power group.

Iuz is probably too choatic to be so subtle and indirect. As seen in the Falcon modules, WGR1, and EttRoG, his methods revolve around evil cults, underworlders, artifacts, and humanoids.

I prefer my Heirarches to be more eldritch and less mundane.

Rary and Robilar need more machinations and might have old friends among the city's underbelly.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:16 pm

vestcoat wrote:BTW, according to Gygax, the Brotherhood ARE the real power in the Pomarj. Sargent hinted at it. The WotC revival threw TSB out and made Mak an ex-Slave Lord.
But they made him an ex-Slave Lord who rose to power with the help of the Scarlet Brotherhood.

From Slavers, page 123, "The Secrets of Turrosh Mak":
Despot Mak has been seen on occasion with a red-robed stranger, suggesting a possible link to the Scarlet Brotherhood. This clue is even more important than it appears, for it points to Theg Narlot, the former Slavelord.

In the wake of the Slavelords' destruction, Theg Narlot and Brother Kerin of the Scarlet Brotherhood remained together. In collusion with other agents of the Scarlet Brotherhood, the two former Slavelords concocted a plan to unite the humanoid tribes of the Pomarj and carve out a new nation. With their experience, and the contacts of the Slavelords and the resources of the Scarlet Brotherhood, only one thing stood between Theg Narlot and domination: the Earth Dragon.

vestcoat
Gnoll

Post by vestcoat » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:15 am

ripvanwormer wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:16 pm
But they made him an ex-Slave Lord who rose to power with the help of the Scarlet Brotherhood.
Ahh! Thanks. Post-Wars products made so many vague and faltering allusions to who's pulling strings in the Pomarj that I stopped keeping track.

Cebrion
Hobgoblin

Post by Cebrion » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:27 am

It need not be some grand evil power than would support the Beggars, but simply a rival power, like Dyvers, that wouldn't mind seeing the Greyhawk thieves/merchants guild take a hit (and no skin off their back in the Beggars suffer in the process). It's just business. ;)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:07 am

Cebrion wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:27 am
It need not be some grand evil power than would support the Beggars, but simply a rival power, like Dyvers, that wouldn't mind seeing the Greyhawk thieves/merchants guild take a hit (and no skin off their back in the Beggars suffer in the process). It's just business. ;)
Great point. The enemy of my enemy...is my friend.

So who have the Greyhawk Theives Guild caused problems for outside of the City of Greyhawk?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

vestcoat
Gnoll

Post by vestcoat » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:42 am

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:07 am
So who have the Greyhawk Theives Guild caused problems for outside of the City of Greyhawk?
Maybe the GH thieves were the masterminds responsible for bilking the Duke of Urnst out of his valuable mines in the eastern Cairn Hills? Also, Nellix is a competitor for the river trade between the Nyr Dyv and southern oceans; thieves and merchants there could profit by sowing discord in Greyhawk. If Iuz or the SB discovered a covert trade war between Greyhawk and Unrst, they could exploit it and greatly weaken relations between the two.

IMC, the Wild Coast cities are crawling with underworld organizations, some of which operate regionally and despise the growing reach of Greyhawk's big-city thieves. My biggest competitor is a "merchant guild" based in Badwall called South Coast Assets with fingers in pies from Ulek to Urnst. Someday I'll finish my article on them...

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:46 pm

There was a sort of subplot in Gygax's Greyhawk novels about this (or at least about the rivalry between the Beggar's and the Thieve's Guild; chiefly in Saga of Old City), in which the Beggar's Union lost, and lost badly. IIRC, the Assassin's Guild was playing both sides by selling its services to the highest bidder, which in this case happened to be the Thieve's Guild.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:50 pm

vestcoat wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:42 am
IMC, the Wild Coast cities are crawling with underworld organizations, some of which operate regionally and despise the growing reach of Greyhawk's big-city thieves. My biggest competitor is a "merchant guild" based in Badwall called South Coast Assets with fingers in pies from Ulek to Urnst. Someday I'll finish my article on them...
I hope you can pop back and drop a link here, when that article is finished.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:57 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:46 pm
There was a sort of subplot in Gygax's Greyhawk novels about this (or at least about the rivalry between the Beggar's and the Thieve's Guild; chiefly in Saga of Old City), in which the Beggar's Union lost, and lost badly. IIRC, the Assassin's Guild was playing both sides by selling its services to the highest bidder, which in this case happened to be the Thieve's Guild.
That's Kevperrine's answer then.

The Assassin's Guild would only back the Begger's Union if someone offered them more money than the Thieve's Guild.

Return to “Greyhawk”