[Lendore Isles] Lenard Lakofka's planet of dwarven thralls

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Lendore Isles] Lenard Lakofka's planet of dwarven thralls

Post by Big Mac » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:28 pm

Shannon Appelcline wrote something interesting about an alternative world Leonard Lakofka used in his home Lendore Isles campaign on the DMs Guild page for L3 Deep Dwarven Delve:
Shannon Appelcline at DMs Guild wrote:The Original Campaign. Like all of the L-series adventures, "Deep Dwarven Delve" was drawn directly from Lakofka's own Lendore Isle campaign. He says he created it when he "decided to go DOWN below the complex of rooms currently occupied by orcs, ogres, and a troll or two." Dwarves - like those who founded the "Delve" as a mithril mine - had long been an important element in Lakofka's home campaign, which had also included a six-month mini-campaign centered on freeing dwarves in another world from thralldom; this in turn led to Dobfur, an 8th level cleric PC, becoming a High Priest of dwarves for the Suel god Fortubo.
Has Leonard Lakofka ever written anything about this other world?

How does it link to the Lendore Isles?

Would it work as a world (or part of a world) in Greyspace? Or is there anything about the world that means it would be impossible to be within the same crystal sphere as Oerth?

Who were these dwarves that needed to be rescued from thralldom? Who enslaved them?

Has Leonard Lakofka ever published anything for this other world as part of a RPG product?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Re: [Lendore Isles] Lenard Lakofka's planet of dwarven thral

Post by GMWestermeyer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:08 pm

I doubt he has said much, it might have been addressed in an Footprints No 5 (published by Dragon's Foot) in his article "The Nystul & Lendore Island Campaign."

There is more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Dwarven_Delve

He did some interviews that have some answers:

http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... art-i.html

http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... rt-ii.html

http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... t-iii.html

He later published addition 'L' series modules at Dragon's Foot.

https://www.dragonsfoot.org/ad/index.shtml

As for the 'planet' I'm sure it could be placed in Greyspace - in the grinder most likely. It was pre-SJ in creation so <shrug>

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:06 pm

The planet is called Dwaerth.

There's a little detail on it in Oerth Journal #10, in Len Lakofka's article "Tales from the Green Dragon Inn: Leomund's Life." From that source, we know the name of one of the gods (who apparently transported them to Dwaerth) and that Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor was apparently there.
Len Lakofka wrote:I left Oerth in 541 and began an adventure on the Dwaerth World. I went with a good dwarven friend named Dobfur. Dobfur’s god, Fortubo*, had selected him to free a large segment of his people from slavery on Dwaerth. It was success on that adventure** that made Dobfur a High Priest.

*On Dwaerth Fortubo is known as Felgar, dwarven god of war. You did know that many of the gods exist as different ‘powers’ on different worlds, didn’t you? Phaulkon is Thax on Dyrth, for example.

**This is the adventure where I met a strange mage who called his magic ‘science’. He possessed a magical box of great potency. It was larger on the inside than the outside and it had the ability to teleport in the current Prime Material. He claimed it could move in time as well! The Doctor was quite an interesting soul and he was helpful in freeing the dwarves from slavery. I wish I had a scarf like his too.
Dyrth is yet another world, where the olive-skinned, black-eyed native elves lacked open ocean navigation skills or the secrets of magic past the 3rd level until Leomund taught them magic up to the sixth level. Leomund traveled to Dyrth with an artifact called Lendor's Matrix.

I wouldn't put either Dwaerth or Dyrth in Greyspace, personally. You could name an enslaved dwarven citadel in the Grinder "Dwaerth" if you just wanted an homage to Lakofka's ideas, but the intent seems clearly that they're parallel Oerths. I'd assume the Suel pantheon is worshiped on all three worlds under various names.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:56 pm

ripvanwormer wrote: I wouldn't put either Dwaerth or Dyrth in Greyspace, personally. You could name an enslaved dwarven citadel in the Grinder "Dwaerth" if you just wanted an homage to Lakofka's ideas, but the intent seems clearly that they're parallel Oerths. I'd assume the Suel pantheon is worshiped on all three worlds under various names.

I agree, different crystal sphere altogether. I always think of each crystal sphere as an 'alternative prime' in the old Planes sense. That explains why it is impossible in the Flow to cast summoning spells or contact deities to regain spells - the Flow is a sort of 'null-place', the space between planes. :)

But I probably won't put either in my Guide to the Spheres, since none of the sources are published by TSR.

Return to “Greyhawk”