Gygax Estate is moving to publish Gary's unpublished works...

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Saracenus
Kobold

Gygax Estate is moving to publish Gary's unpublished works...

Post by Saracenus » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:00 pm

... but his son thinks pen and paper are dying and is going to push it all towards digital mediums. You can get the whole lowdown here:

Dungeons & Dragons creator’s unpublished work to be turned into video games (Polygon.com)

At least we might get Castle Greyhawk... in a video game?
Saracenus (AKA Bryan Blumklotz)
Lead Admin Canonfire! A Greyhawk Resource! Facebook Group
The World of Greyhawk Herald
Community Organizer for too many games to mention in a sig.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: Gygax Estate is moving to publish Gary's unpublished works...

Post by night_druid » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:04 pm

And yet POD format is selling like hotcakes. :P
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Allen Varney
Bugbear

Post by Allen Varney » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:27 pm

night_druid wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:04 pm
And yet POD format is selling like hotcakes.
Nothing in tabletop roleplaying sells a hundredth as strongly as a popular computer or video game. A hit tabletop book on Kickstarter can raise US$1.5 million. That isn't even table stakes for video games.
-- Allen Varney
Twitter: AllenVarney | http://www.allenvarney.com | http://bundleofholding.com

vestcoat
Hobgoblin

Post by vestcoat » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:23 pm

I wish they would at least mimic WotC's blend of video games, board games, and RPG's. Sure, video games can make millions, but they also need movie budgets to back them up and then have to compete with all the Final Fantasy's and Skyrims out there. D&D creators have had success in the world of novels and a few Gold Box and Buldur's Gate games, but they've never led the way in video games or movies.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:38 am

Pen & Paper RPGs are not dying. On the contrary we are in the mist of the second golden age of pen & paper RPGs spearheaded by Kickstarter campaigns.

I'm not interested in computer games so these products are not for me. I would read novelizations of the Lejendary Adventures campaign stories written by Gary but I doubt I would play the RPG if it became available in Pen & Paper format.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon • Working on : D&D5e in Calidar

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:21 pm

I think we are seeing multiple things at the same time here. Tabletop RPGs appear to be very popular. Kickstarters, PDFs, PoD etc has already been mentioned. There is also gaming via streaming, Roll20 and similar platforms, 80s nostalgia etc.

At the same time, the industry seems to be a tougher business than ever as is what Allen Varney mentions. I think comparisons to the video game industry are unrealistic since that industry has exploded over the last few decades. But self publishing, PDF games, Kickstarters etc probably also contribute to each RPG product being less profitable.

I can understand the Gygax Trust Fund, headed by Gail Gygax and (I assume) her son Alex in Gygax Games are interested in turning Gary's unpublished works into video game properties as there is more money to be made there, but we shall see how it goes. I would be more confident if Luke and Ernie Gygax were involved in the project.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:28 pm

Saracenus wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:00 pm
A video game, huh?

I can imagine that would require a considerable amount of money to develop.

I wonder if Alex Gygax would be trying to get old D&D designers, who previously worked with Gary Gygax, to come and work on the project...or if they are intending to build brand new stuff based only on Gary's notes. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:56 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:28 pm
Saracenus wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:00 pm
A video game, huh?

I can imagine that would require a considerable amount of money to develop.

I wonder if Alex Gygax would be trying to get old D&D designers, who previously worked with Gary Gygax, to come and work on the project...or if they are intending to build brand new stuff based only on Gary's notes. :?
Unless they are able to make a deal with Hasbro, there is no way they could use the name Greyhawk or any related properties, but I really like your idea of Alex Gygax pulling in other game designers from those days. It would also be cool if he did both electronic and tabletop products to completement eachother. There is no reason why they could not do both. That would be sweet :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

JamesMishler
Ogre

Post by JamesMishler » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:13 am

Regarding Lejendary Adventure, Gary designed it explicitly as a computer RPG engine system. He spoke of it often, and worked hard at getting a computer game company to work with him to get it made as a computer game, so that comes as no surprise.

And y'all -- Lejendary Adventure is an AWESOME game system. It is to Dangerous Journeys: Mythus as Original Dungeons & Dragons is to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

The problem with getting something going for LA in the computer game realm is that Gary, being GARY, was unable to get it done back when he was alive. His name is mostly meaningful today to the core of old school gamers, and even then, LA is meaningful to only a small snippet of that set. So it will take a mighty powerful angel to get anything going with LA today.

Regarding Castle Zagyg, similarly, and sadly, Gary's name only means so much to so few...

sam
Gnoll

Post by sam » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:24 am

We may get Greyhawk in new video game,but maybe you have to wait until 2020.I saw news about "WotC is preparing a lot of D&D video games", will involve multiple settings,at least we still have hope. But they will definitely make things more "fashionable",just like Shadow of Mordor.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 pm

JamesMishler wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:13 am
And y'all -- Lejendary Adventure is an AWESOME game system. It is to Dangerous Journeys: Mythus as Original Dungeons & Dragons is to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. Don't knock it till you've tried it.
I've read article about LA. No sure if I saw the book at my gaming store when they came out. I did see DJ books. IIRC I was turned off by the complexity of the system. LA is said to be lighter which is more my taste. Sadly, my pile of bought and unplayed RPGs is too high to add another yet one. Its all theoretical anyway since its not possible to buy LA since the licence was pulled from Troll Lord... and there are no know plans by the estate to publish it in P&P format.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon • Working on : D&D5e in Calidar

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:20 am

I find it endearing that you think this is actually going to be Gygax's work in any meaningful sense. :D

Return to “Greyhawk”