Dwarf / Human settlements

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Bud
Goblin

Dwarf / Human settlements

Post by Bud » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:48 am

Does anyone know of an existing Greyhawk city (or town, fiefdom) from any GH material (Living Greyhawk, Oerth Journal, TSR) that is a settlement populated by dwarves and humans, on equal footing? I'm looking to put something like this in our GH campaign, and would prefer to graft onto an existing place.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Re: Dwarf / Human settlements

Post by Boneguard » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:57 am

The Principality of Ulek would be your best bet.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:43 pm

You likely want either one of the settlements in the Principality of Ulek (population 53% human, 30% dwarf, with dwarves ruling) or Irongate (humans 83%, dwarves 15%, but the mayor is of unknown race; he could be a human, a dwarf, a dragon, or some kind of hybrid).

The Principality of Ulek's dwarven population is likely higher in the cities. Gryrax is the cosmopolitan capital of the principality, while Havenhill, with a larger population, is a more traditional city; Havenhill was the capital until 281 CY, when Prince Olinstaad Corond moved it to Gryrax. So bustling Gryrax is probably more likely to have dwarves and humans on equal footing than staid Havenhill. But there will probably be some humans in most of the Principality's towns. Anna B. Meyer's map of the area.

Irongate is another good choice; dwarves are a minority population but they're very well established there. They helped build it thanks to an old alliance between Aerdy and the dwarven Kingdom of the Iron Hills nearby, and they've been there since its founding.

vestcoat
Gnoll

Post by vestcoat » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:31 pm

Little referenced, but Dwarfhaven AKA Grellton on Lendore Isle could be 50/50. Its High Priest of Fortubo is the only dwarf in the Flanaess capable of casting raise dead according to Dragon Magazine and Footprints #5. Also see the Burrow Heights neighborhood in CoG.

IMC, there are a lot of chaotic Sundered dwarves (per PHBR6) in Riftcrag and surrounding regions that were driven out of their Canyon delves centuries ago.

GH has so few supplemental gazetteers that I like to plunder Forgotten Realms, Mystara, and C&C's World of Erde for demihuman kingdoms and earth culture analogues. FR11 Dwarves Deep has a Rift Canyon rip-off called The Great Rift inhabited by dwarves. They control a town called Hammer & Anvil (47) where they mingle and trade with other races.

Bud
Goblin

Post by Bud » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:43 pm

Thanks, I think Gryax will work perfectly.
@vestcoat, Grellton is a deep find, good one! FR11 is excellent, I use it. There's an old third party supplement I use for Dwarven culture also, Fantasy Games Unlimited supplement "Dwarven Halls", made for Swordbearer rpg.

Icarus
Ogre

Post by Icarus » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:05 pm

vestcoat wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:31 pm
Little referenced, but Dwarfhaven AKA Grellton on Lendore Isle could be 50/50. Its High Priest of Fortubo is the only dwarf in the Flanaess capable of casting raise dead according to Dragon Magazine and Footprints #5.
Though the outcome is essentially the same, this is slightly inaccurate (in only the most minor of details).
Technically, it says that the High Priest can cast raise dead. Also, it says there is only one High Priest.
It doesn't say that only a High Priest is capable of casting it.

Granted, this was written when Dwarves were limited in class and level because of their race. By the PHB chart, only NPCs could be dwarven clerics and even those were limited to 8th level. But, that's only true up through AD&D, before AD&D 2nd Edition. It is only by the fiat of the High Priest of Fortubo description in Dragon #88 that any Dwarven Cleric could cast raise dead. Normally, they'd need to be 9th level to cast it.

So, the statement is true, if one has race-level limitations in their game. If not, then there could be other priests of high enough level, they simply aren't in the position of being the High Priest.
Personally, I wouldn't have race-level limitations. I would simply remove references to them in my game.
"And he did fly,... and he was seen on the wings of the wind."
My online Gallery of Artwork. Take a look at my illustrations!

Return to “Greyhawk”