If Greyhawk advanced 100 years. What's the tech differences?

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

kevperrine
Goblin

Post by kevperrine » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:37 pm

In a world of Greyhawk, the classic timeline is 576. What if you advance the timeline 100 years to 676?

What types of innovations in "technology" and magic that becomes more common place?
I am looking for ideas of spells or sciences and technology that make sense to "evolve" but not take away the "sword and sorcery" vibe of the setting.

What would the mages of the day "allow"? What about Cleric magics in the common society?
Would Boccob open the use of gunpowder to the world?

Any suggestions?
What is too far? (for example, I don't want to go to Eberron's Lightning Train tech)

snorri
Ogre

Re: If Greyhawk advanced 100 years. What's the tech differences?

Post by snorri » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Greyhawk has a 12-13th century feeling to me, so maybe a 14-15th century feeling would be nice. So, it's more about social changes than technology : less knights and more mercenaries, more internationally trade, more powers to cities and bourgeoisie. About gunpowder, early canons could be available but nothing more.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:01 am

I don't like ramping up technology in my fantasy D&D so advancing the timeline 100 years would mean nothing in my Greyhawk.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:36 am

I don't know about 100 years, but this question does remind me of an article in Dragon called "Greyhawk 2000" that featured all sorts of advanced magical and technological advances in a future version of Greyhawk (as well as some political and social changes).

Google tells me it is in Dragon 277.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:46 am

Hard to say. A lot of technology is driven by necessity. Greyhawk's development, or regression, would depend on a number of factors, including if nations are still standing in 100 years. Any number of factors could send Greyhawk back into the Stone Age, or advance them into the Stellar Age. Orcs raids, giant attacks, dragons, demons, and the like could bring down civilization. Conversely, some otherworldly artifact might advance them to rival the Federation in tech.

All that aside, I can't imagine Greyhawk advancing much in 100 years. Gunpowder doesn't work, so that avenue of advancement is completely unavailable. At best, I guess it would reach High Middle Ages to early Renaissance at best.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 am

Two words: balloon warfare! :D
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:31 am

Dragon #258 had a 2e article called "Mage vs. Machine." One of its conceits was that a society of wizards had been inspired by the tech from the Barrier Peaks crash to become "machine mages."

I also recall an old forum letter in Dragon where the writer advanced their campaign by 100 years and decided eccentric nobles like those in X2 Castle Amber were now the norm and spelljammers were a common sight.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:12 pm

I would imagine that the advancement would depend on the wars taking place.

If you use real world analogy, war is responsible or indirectly responsible for most new tech. Medical and Ag tech is advanced to feed the armies and keep them fighting.

There are other drivers, but I would think this would be the main driver of tech.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:37 pm

Technology in 1000 years in the future, yes, I can see using Mage vs. Machine Dragon article, or the like, but tech advances in 100 years? Perhaps a slight improvement to wagon axles so they don't break as easily when they slam into potholes, or a slightly different stone mix for the roads - so potholes don't happen as often.

Aqueducts are a good, believable technological advancement too.

Mostly social & political advances, as Snorri mentioned.
Wikipedia wrote: Feudalism itself decayed and effectively disappeared in most of Western Europe by about 1500,[32][33] partly since the military power of kings shifted from armies consisting of the nobility to professional fighters (effectively reducing the nobility's power), but also because the Black Death reduced the nobility's hold on the lower classes. The system lingered on in parts of Central and Eastern Europe as late as the 1850s. Russia finally abolished serfdom in 1861.[34][35]
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:37 pm
Technology in 1000 years in the future, yes, I can see using Mage vs. Machine Dragon article, or the like, but tech advances in 100 years?
The article in Dragon #258 didn't postulate major societal changes, just a small mage guild that had incorporated elements of technology into their magic. It was supposed to be set in the present day, a decade or so after Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.

Return to “Greyhawk”