Seragrimm the Just: Lawful Good Lich

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: Seragrimm the Just: Lawful Good Lich

Post by willpell » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:04 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the creator of that image just conceptualized it as "the faithful knight remains loyal to his liege, despite the latter having long since died and rotted away from the passage of time", and the idea of that being a lich was entirely invented by the creator of the trading card set without consulting anyone else on the brand team. That kind of unrestrained creativity is one of the advantages of not yet having been bought out by a corporate megaconglomerate.

Icarus
Ogre

Post by Icarus » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:06 pm

willpell wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:04 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if the creator of that image just conceptualized it as "the faithful knight remains loyal to his liege, despite the latter having long since died and rotted away from the passage of time", and the idea of that being a lich was entirely invented by the creator of the trading card set without consulting anyone else on the brand team. That kind of unrestrained creativity is one of the advantages of not yet having been bought out by a corporate megaconglomerate.
I'd agree with the entire thing, with the exception of the bolded part.
I just can't imagine how a monster entry in 1989, another monster and stat block in 1990, and in 1991 there just happened to be a card using all those rules could possibly be a coincidence.
These things are super-discussed. Every single card has to have approval and oversight, because they were giving game statistics to particular characters. Especially ones like Mordenkainen and the Circle of Eight who up until that time, insofar as I'm aware, never had stats for all those fellas.
I totally agree the idea for it was likely unrestrained creativity, as you said ... but, I'm sure that random creator probably said something like, "Man! How COOL would it be if we had a GOOD lich!!"
And someone widened their eyes, and said, "They'll blow up on the bulletin boards and BBS's, but, let's do it anyway! It's too cool not to pass up!" :lol:
Last edited by Icarus on Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"And he did fly,... and he was seen on the wings of the wind."
My online Gallery of Artwork. Take a look at my illustrations!

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:16 pm

You're probably right there. They probably did talk about it after all, but probably not directly to the same person who painted the picture. The decision may well have been made without all the context being known.

Digitalelf
Hobgoblin

Post by Digitalelf » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:54 am

willpell wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:04 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if the creator of that image just conceptualized it as "the faithful knight remains loyal to his liege, despite the latter having long since died and rotted away from the passage of time"
Well, the piece is officially entitled: "Crown of Ancient Glory". So the artist was probably Contracted to paint something for that specific module, which was basically about finding the heir of a kingdom after its king had died.

Unfortunately, the artist passed away in 2005 from "acute myelogenous leukemia". So we are unable to ask him about it. ;(

Here is the entire image outside of the module or card's cropping:

-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

Icarus
Ogre

Post by Icarus » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:40 am

Digitalelf wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:54 am
Well, the piece is officially entitled: "Crown of Ancient Glory". So the artist was probably Contracted to paint something for that specific module, which was basically about finding the heir of a kingdom after its king had died.

Unfortunately, the artist passed away in 2005 from "acute myelogenous leukemia". So we are unable to ask him about it. ;(
I didn't realize that it was a piece by Kieth Parkinson! He's one of the artists that I love the most, and I like to think influenced my work as a professional illustrator.
His passing seems like such a loss to the industry.

A bit lighter:
I found an interesting thing: There's a version of the artwork on a 1,000-piece puzzle in a series of puzzles by WotC. Several of his works that were made into puzzles, apparently.

If you want, you can take a look at it on Amazon!!

Icarus
Ogre

Post by Icarus » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:53 pm

You know, interestingly …
I was just looking at the painting, an zoomed in close on Drendar (the vassal), and noticed his expression.
I'm not sure if it's anger, or firm resolution, or if his knees just hurt from kneeling down, but, he has a fairly clear grimace, even to the point of baring his teeth!

Return to “Greyhawk”