How do the phases of Oerth's moons work?

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

How do the phases of Oerth's moons work?

Post by Big Mac » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:36 pm

I've seen a chart for tracking the moons of Krynn, but have never seen anything similar for Oerth.

What are the phases of Oerth's moons like?

Are there regular patterns (like eclipses of the sun or occultations)?

Does one of the moons or both line up with Greyhawk's calendar, or does the pattern wander every year?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

barrataria
Hobgoblin

Re: How do the phases of Oerth's moons work?

Post by barrataria » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:34 pm

I don't remember one. I also didn't remember a discussion in the books, but now I see on one of the first pages of the 1E box Gary had a brief discussion. The calendar is based on Luna's cycles, and the 4 festival weeks are set when Celene is full 4x per year.
Companion Expansion and adventure modules for basic and expert games: free for download and always in print (on demand): http://www.barrataria.com

Icarus
Ogre

Post by Icarus » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:10 pm

Barrataria is correct.
There are numerous places in books and online that show calendars with the moon phases.
It’s in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer and several other books, as well.
There's also other holidays, like Great Moon's Glory, and Mid-Summer's Day (and Night) where the moon phases have to do with holidays.

But,here is one calendar hosted by GreyhawOnline.com That is pretty basic, but shows the moon phases.
Also, Anna B. Meyer (of GHMaps.net) saw a tweet this morning from The Piazza, I think … so, she reposted her recent calendar with moon phases added! She said she'd forgotten to include them, and your question prompted her to add them in!

Click the image below to see the whole calendar, hosted from Greyhawkonline.com!!
Last edited by Icarus on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And he did fly,... and he was seen on the wings of the wind."
My online Gallery of Artwork. Take a look at my illustrations!

netlich
Kobold

Post by netlich » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:53 pm

I have to hit the books to check (The Adventure Begins" and Dragon Annual #4 are hinted at in my notes :D :D :)

This is an old one I used with some holidays too - but I don't think it is canon.
I tracked it the calendar at least down but I am not sure where I got it from ages ago

https://www.modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~fey/DD3/calendar_GH.html

Icarus
Ogre

Post by Icarus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:32 am

netlich wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:53 pm
This is an old one I used with some holidays too - but I don't think it is canon.
I tracked it the calendar at least down but I am not sure where I got it from ages ago

https://www.modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~fey/DD3/calendar_GH.html
Hey, netlich ... I just want to mention, that link leading to your website… It gets a security certificate error, and says that your site is not secure. There maybe something wrong with your HTTPS.
Just thought I would let you know.
"And he did fly,... and he was seen on the wings of the wind."
My online Gallery of Artwork. Take a look at my illustrations!

Return to “Greyhawk”