new Gygax Castle Greyhawk level revealed!

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

grodog
Hobgoblin

new Gygax Castle Greyhawk level revealed!

Post by grodog » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:33 am

Paul Stormberg's reddit AMA is must-see reading for Greyhawk fans: https://grodog.blogspot.com/2019/01/pau ... chive.html

While digging around, I found a new Castle Greyhawk map on the Gygax Games web site, too!

Allan.
grodog
---
Allan Grohe
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: new Gygax Castle Greyhawk level revealed!

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:44 am

Very interesting. Grodog says Paul Stormberg works for The Collector's Trove, but Paul Stormberg also says he works for Gygax Games, in this short video about Gygax Games:

I didn't realise he was involved with them. I wonder how close they are to getting something published.

EDIT: Gygax Games seem to have hinted that they have been talking to both Pazio and Wizards of the Coast. I think we would probably see better integration with Greyhawk from Wizards of the Coast, but Paizo has a very good history of supporting Greyhawk (maybe even better than WotC).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

grodog
Hobgoblin

Post by grodog » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:43 am

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:44 am
Very interesting. Grodog says Paul Stormberg works for The Collector's Trove, but Paul Stormberg also says he works for Gygax Games, in this short video
These are not incompatible statements: Paul owns/manages The Collector's Trove (and has for about 13 or 14 years now, I think!), and works with Gygax Games. Just like I co-own Black Blade Publishing but also work for Ruckus Networks (or, how when I was working for Juniper, at one point I also worked with Different Worlds and Pied Piper too). Etc. :D
Big Mac wrote:
I didn't realise he was involved with them. I wonder how close they are to getting something published.
An excellent question. I hope to learn more at GaryCon. We'll see!
Big Mac wrote:
EDIT: Gygax Games seem to have hinted that they have been talking to both Pazio and Wizards of the Coast. I think we would probably see better integration with Greyhawk from Wizards of the Coast, but Paizo has a very good history of supporting Greyhawk (maybe even better than WotC).
Agreed on the latter!---the Age of Worms and Maure Castle are definitely highlights of the entire 3.x era for D&D (I've not read Shackled City yet...).

Allan.
grodog
---
Allan Grohe
grodog@gmail.com

stebehil
Troll

Post by stebehil » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:23 pm

grodog wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:43 am

Agreed on the latter!---the Age of Worms and Maure Castle are definitely highlights of the entire 3.x era for D&D (I've not read Shackled City yet...).

Allan.
Shackled city has only a loose connection to GH. The city was placed where the Hellfurnaces meet the Amedio Jungle, an AFAIK undescribed wilderness. This was probably intentional, as the city could be placed easily on another world, and with their first AP, folks at paizo probably did not want to mess to badly with canon. The city gets turned pretty much upside down, so messing with canon like that might have upset folks.
The last AP (Savage Tide) is placed on GH, but also loosely connected, IIRC.

vestcoat
Gnoll

Post by vestcoat » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:48 am

grodog wrote:
These are not incompatible statements: Paul owns/manages The Collector's Trove (and has for about 13 or 14 years now, I think!), and works with Gygax Games. Just like I co-own Black Blade Publishing but also work for Ruckus Networks (or, how when I was working for Juniper, at one point I also worked with Different Worlds and Pied Piper too).
Didn't know you were involved with Different Worlds. I guess that explains part four of the Maze of Zayene!
Stormberg has been doing Collectors Trove FOREVER. I think he used to post his sales on the old GH listservs. I bought my copy of Dungeon Magazine #1 in an email sale from him in the late Nineties. Glad he's involved with the Gygax IP. If we ever see the Gygax name in print again, it'll be because of him.

grodog
Hobgoblin

Post by grodog » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:38 pm

stebehil wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:23 pm
grodog wrote:
Shackled city has only a loose connection to GH. The city was placed where the Hellfurnaces meet the Amedio Jungle, an AFAIK undescribed wilderness. This was probably intentional, as the city could be placed easily on another world, and with their first AP, folks at paizo probably did not want to mess to badly with canon. The city gets turned pretty much upside down, so messing with canon like that might have upset folks.
Thanks on both of those---I've not read SC or ST so knowing that they're not as deeply-tied to GH as AoW means I'll prioritize other things to read first!
vestcoat wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:48 am
grodog wrote:
These are not incompatible statements: Paul owns/manages The Collector's Trove (and has for about 13 or 14 years now, I think!), and works with Gygax Games. Just like I co-own Black Blade Publishing but also work for Ruckus Networks (or, how when I was working for Juniper, at one point I also worked with Different Worlds and Pied Piper too).
Didn't know you were involved with Different Worlds. I guess that explains part four of the Maze of Zayene!
Indeed :D
vestcoat wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:48 am
Stormberg has been doing Collectors Trove FOREVER. I think he used to post his sales on the old GH listservs. I bought my copy of Dungeon Magazine #1 in an email sale from him in the late Nineties. Glad he's involved with the Gygax IP. If we ever see the Gygax name in print again, it'll be because of him.
Agreed, on all fronts: Paul's a great guy, and his continuing involvement with Gary's IP can only be good for Greyhawk!

Allan.
grodog
---
Allan Grohe
grodog@gmail.com

stebehil
Troll

Post by stebehil » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:41 pm

grodog wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:38 pm
stebehil wrote:
grodog wrote:
Thanks on both of those---I've not read SC or ST so knowing that they're not as deeply-tied to GH as AoW means I'll prioritize other things to read first!
Looking into it, I found a WIkipedia article on ST: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Tide There was a Players Guide for that AP as well, the pdf is available for free at paizo: https://paizo.com/products/btpy7t7i As I remembered, it is only loosely connected to GH, and might even be placed on Known World/Mystara, as it uses the Isle of Dread.

vestcoat
Gnoll

Post by vestcoat » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:45 am

grodog wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:38 pm
stebehil wrote:
grodog wrote:
Shackled City is like the Adlerweg modules (UK2-3) -- it's Greyhawk, but it's staking out new ground. It doesn't expand anything we're familiar with; it expands a stretch of lonely coast, mountains, and jungle. There ARE lots of GH temples, priests, spells, and monsters and Cauldron was later placed on the four-part Dungeon Magazine GH maps.

Savage Tide is MUCH more tied to GH, but also on the edges of the Darlene map and off map. Isle of Dread was was officially imported to GH.

grodog
Hobgoblin

Post by grodog » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:20 am

Thanks guys!

Allan.
grodog
---
Allan Grohe
grodog@gmail.com

Return to “Greyhawk”