[resource] The Great Library of Greyhawk (a canon wiki)

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[resource] The Great Library of Greyhawk (a canon wiki)

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 24, 2009 10:51 am

"The Great Library of Greyhawk is meant to be a repository of lore for the World of Greyhawk, a campaign setting for the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy roleplaying game." (This means it is a canon wiki, that only lists information from the original gamebooks - rather than a fanon wiki, for fan expansion.)

The Great Library of Greyhawk is hosted by Canonfire! (the leading Greyhawk fansite), so it is backed up by the support of the Canonfire! webteam. That means that this wiki is not going to vanish unexpectedly, like so many D&D websites sadly do.

About a month ago I stuck a page for The Great Library of Greyhawk up on WikiIndex (to help promote it) and if you look over there you will see that the statistics show that The Great Library of Greyhawk currently has 1,038 pages of useful content and has a wikiFactor of 4. That means that, statistically, it is more popular than my own wiki*.

** = My wiki is Spelljammer Wiki - the wiki that hopes to to for Spelljammer canon what The Great Library of Greyhawk is already doing for World of Greyhawk canon.

Anyhoo, I think that you should give The Great Library of Greyhawk a look. And if you can edit wiki text and are a fan of Greyhawk, you might want to consider signing up and helping out.

And if you want to talk about the The Great Library of Greyhawk, or have any questions about how to join in with wiki editing, please feel free to post in this thread.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Re: [resource] The Great Library of Greyhawk (a canon wiki)

Post by Marco Fossati » Mon May 25, 2009 6:41 am

The wiki is good...I don't know much about Greyhawk so I'll surely find it very helpful

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Mon May 25, 2009 1:50 pm

Big Mac, this is a good thread. As a CF staffer I'd like to thank you for bringing wider attention to this GH resource. The CF wiki is mainly the work of a small cadre of dedicated GH fans (none of which are current CF staff members, though I did tweak the Ull entry myself) who have been doing the GH community a service on Wikipedia for years. Also statistics aside, the Spelljammer wiki is an incredible service to the D&D community as well. In fact it might be an even more important wiki than anything for GH. Heck I've used it for reference many times when doing my comic. Kudos to you and all the wiki-contributors out there.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 28, 2009 11:09 pm

Marco Fossati wrote:The wiki is good...I don't know much about Greyhawk so I'll surely find it very helpful
The Great Library of Greyhawk has a really cool Random page feature. The text appears on the menu on the left and does the obvious - taking you to a random article. For people who don't know much, this is really useful, because you can click the link a few times until something interesting comes up and then explore the related articles in the normal way.
mortellan wrote:Big Mac, this is a good thread. As a CF staffer I'd like to thank you for bringing wider attention to this GH resource.
Thanks. :oops:

I'm kind-of hoping that bringing their work to the attention of more people could eventually help pull in a few additional contributors that can help them add articles faster.
mortellan wrote:The CF wiki is mainly the work of a small cadre of dedicated GH fans (none of which are current CF staff members, though I did tweak the Ull entry myself) who have been doing the GH community a service on Wikipedia for years.
They are all doing a great job, and they all deserve a pat on the back.

And you didn't just tweak the Ull entry...you tweaked it twice (adding a total of 108 bytes)! So you deserve a mini-pat on the back for doing that.

On Wikipedia, BOZ has been doing a great job of fighting the anti-fiction anti-D&D deletionists who have been pushing the view that it is impossible to have well written D&D articles with good citations. I don't know all the Great Library of Greyhawk staff, but I do know that some of them have been helping BOZ to get the Wikipedia articles improved.
mortellan wrote:Also statistics aside, the Spelljammer wiki is an incredible service to the D&D community as well.
At just under a tenth of the size of The Great Library of Greyhawk, I think that Spelljammer Wiki has a long way to go, before it can start to be as useful as that wiki. At the moment it is pot-luck if your subject of interest has been covered. But I'm glad that you like it. I have a hope that one day there will be a canon wiki (or other type of canon encyclopedia) for every D&D campaign setting that has ever been published.

Sadly, I have not yet got much coverage of Greyspace on SJ Wiki. The Great Library of Greyhawk is actually beating my wiki in this area, as they already have several good quality articles on space related subjects.
mortellan wrote:In fact it might be an even more important wiki than anything for GH. Heck I've used it for reference many times when doing my comic. Kudos to you and all the wiki-contributors out there.
Hmm. Thanks for the complement, although I think that opinion is a fairly subjective one. Other people are probably mostly going to value the wiki that supports their favorite campaign setting.

And lets not forget that while Jeff Grubb said that the Spelljammer universe contains Oerth, Krynn and Toril, the reality is that the canon of Spelljammer "stands on the shoulders of giants" (in this case Greyhawk, Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms). Spelljammer Wiki can not (and should not) provide total detail on all three of those planets and I think that The Great Library of Greyhawk (as well as Forgotten Realms Wiki and the Dragonlance Lexicon) is going to be valuable to both GH fans and SJ fans. So from that point of view, I would personally say that The Great Library of Greyhawk is possibly more important to the greater D&D community. (And I think the wikiFactor of SJ Wiki+3 backs my opinion up with "scientific evidence"! :) )
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Post by Marco Fossati » Fri May 29, 2009 7:07 am

Big Mac wrote:
Marco Fossati wrote:The wiki is good...I don't know much about Greyhawk so I'll surely find it very helpful
The Great Library of Greyhawk has a really cool Random page feature. The text appears on the menu on the left and does the obvious - taking you to a random article. For people who don't know much, this is really useful, because you can click the link a few times until something interesting comes up and then explore the related articles in the normal way.

It's what actually I'm doing ;)

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:48 pm

Big Mac wrote:The Great Library of Greyhawk has a really cool Random page feature. The text appears on the menu on the left and does the obvious - taking you to a random article. For people who don't know much, this is really useful, because you can click the link a few times until something interesting comes up and then explore the related articles in the normal way.
That really is a cool feature! I'd love to see that on The Vaults of Pandius actually.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:27 am

Hugin wrote:
Big Mac wrote:The Great Library of Greyhawk has a really cool Random page feature. The text appears on the menu on the left and does the obvious - taking you to a random article. For people who don't know much, this is really useful, because you can click the link a few times until something interesting comes up and then explore the related articles in the normal way.
That really is a cool feature! I'd love to see that on The Vaults of Pandius actually.
I'd love to see it on a lot of websites (including Canonfire!). I don't recall seeing it anywhere other than a wiki.

Return to “Greyhawk”