Rob Kuntz Updating "The Original Living Room"

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Rob Kuntz Updating "The Original Living Room"

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:20 am

From what I can piece together, it appears that Rob Kuntz is releasing updates to the 2007 adventure The Original Living Room – a Greyhawk adventure with the serial numbers filed off. On the Lake Geneva Original RPG blog, he directs his readers to the Three Line Studio Facebook page where he writes:
Three Line Studio wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:00 pm
This expansion of the 2007 work Includes the Living Room, The Study and the Mind Maze, all linked adventure areas, now, making for one hell of a romp! . . . Please share this with all Greyhawk forums and people and those others who you feel would be on board with such a sustained product line.
Has anyone run The Original Living Room or any of Rob's other adventures from Pied Piper Publishing? If so, what were your impressions? Do they capture the feel of other Greyhawk products, or did the official products diverge significantly from Gary Gygax and Rob Kuntz's early works?

Are you excited to have Rob working on Castle Greyhawk products again?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Rob Kuntz Updating "The Original Living Room"

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:12 pm

I looked up The Original Living Room on RPG Geek and can't quite see what the Greyhawk connection is:
The Original Living Room wrote:From the book:

The Original Living Room - 1st Ed. Compatible

The Original Living Room was a hilarious romp for PCs, breaking the monotony of yet another monster encounter. Complete with additional source material to make your own Living Room come alive.

For those GMs who like to throw special encounters at their players this huge setting is the piece for that. Consider the following which is contained in this adventure set-piece:

21 New Monstrous Pieces of Furniture. Each one is specially detailed as to how it attacks, defends and interacts once animated.
19 Unusual Spell Reactions. The furniture reacts to certain spells in different ways than as described in the rules, making for unique and fun-filled circumstances.
Special Items. There's yet more for a GM to work with in crafting his or her own Living Room.
Many Detailed Encounters
It seems like this is/was a 10 page booklet with rules about furniature that fights player character.

Where does the Greyhawk connection come in? :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Zudrak
Orc

Post by Zudrak » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:29 pm

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:36 pm

Zudrak wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:29 pm
The Living Room is a site within Castle Greyhawk.

https://grognardia.blogspot.com/2008/04 ... -room.html

https://grodog.blogspot.com/2017/07/the ... art-1.html
Thanks for those links Zudrak!

They really helped me work out where this fits in.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

vestcoat
Gnoll

Post by vestcoat » Fri May 03, 2019 6:37 am

Thanks for sharing this! Good news.
Tim Baker wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:20 am
Has anyone run The Original Living Room or any of Rob's other adventures from Pied Piper Publishing? If so, what were your impressions? Do they capture the feel of other Greyhawk products, or did the official products diverge significantly from Gary Gygax and Rob Kuntz's early works?
I have all of the PPP stuff and ran his module The Ice Grave which isn't PPP, but is similar in production to his post-TSR works. I generally like everything he does, but some of it is pretty skeletal, especially when he's working solo or with a lone editor.
On one end of the spectrum we have the El Raja Key Archive, which is literally notebook sketches. Then works like The Stalk and Living Room which are similar, but typed and given a bit of a revision. Finally there are the works that have either been polished multiple times, like Dark Druids and Zayene, or really had a team behind Rob adding to the production, like the Kenzer and Paizo modules.

Ice Grave and Dark Druids are my post-TSR favorites. I wish we could see his original Maure levels before Paizo converted them to stupid 3e.

Admin Edit: Remember, no edition is stupid. At The Piazza, every edition is someone's favorite. Edition wars have no place here. :)

-Dragon Turtle

grodog
Hobgoblin

Post by grodog » Sat May 11, 2019 8:09 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
I haven't run the Living Room directly yet, since my players haven't encountered it in either my version of Castle Greyhawk, or in S1 Tomb of Horrors (where Gary included a version/homage of it as well).

I have run several of Rob's other works, including Bottle City (both on my own and co-DMing with Rob at GenCon 2007), Tower of Blood (connected to Cairn of the Skeleton King, Rob's first PPP book), "To the City of Brass" (tourney), Maze of Zayene series, WG5 and Maure Castle (I've run the original 3 levels, "The Statuary," "The Chambers of Antiquities," and also co-DM'd "Warlock's Walk with Rob at GC2007 too). I've enjoying DMing all of them---Rob's one of the best designers in the game! :D

Black Blade has republished Cairn, Tower, and Bottle City, and in the case of Cairn and BC, they've normalized to AD&D stats, and BC's stats were also expanded for the various monsters, NPCs, and divine avatars mentioned but not statted out in the original edition. More info/details at https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/ and http://black-blade-publishing.com/ (the web site has intermittently been not working, so if you'd like to place an order, there's info on the FB page as well as my blog for how to do so).
Tim Baker wrote:
Are you excited to have Rob working on Castle Greyhawk products again?
Absolutely :D
vestcoat wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:37 am
I have all of the PPP stuff and ran his module The Ice Grave which isn't PPP, but is similar in production to his post-TSR works. I generally like everything he does, but some of it is pretty skeletal, especially when he's working solo or with a lone editor.
On one end of the spectrum we have the El Raja Key Archive, which is literally notebook sketches. Then works like The Stalk and Living Room which are similar, but typed and given a bit of a revision. Finally there are the works that have either been polished multiple times, like Dark Druids and Zayene, or really had a team behind Rob adding to the production, like the Kenzer and Paizo modules.

Ice Grave and Dark Druids are my post-TSR favorites. I wish we could see his original Maure levels before Paizo converted them to stupid 3e.
Those manuscripts definitely exist, Cody. Since they were produced for Paizo under license to WotC, it's possible that they could be compiled into a Maure Castle reprint project, sometime.

Allan.
grodog
---
Allan Grohe
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Return to “Greyhawk”