Ghosts of Saltmarsh "unequivocally set in Greyhawk"

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

stebehil
Hill Giant

Re: Ghosts of Saltmarsh "unequivocally set in Greyhawk"

Post by stebehil »

My take on that would be

that the true allegations are hidden, and they still try to buy foodstuff, and might sell cursed magical items. A hidden evil would be keeping more in line with the smuggling operations, and could even generate another story. The way it is is just odd.

Zenopus
Hobgoblin

Post by Zenopus »

I've now converted to the Tower of Zenopus to 5e and released it on DMs Guild. This includes notes on using it as the "Tower of Zenopus" adventure site included in Ghosts of Saltmarsh, so now there is a conversion of the Zenopus dungeon that is set in Greyhawk. :cool:

https://zenopusarchives.blogspot.com/20 ... 5e-on.html
“Story tellers are always careful to point out that the reputed dungeons lie in close proximity to the foundations of an older, pre-human city, to the graveyard, and to the sea.” --- J. Eric Holmes

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

My Zenopus Dungeon 5e conversion is now up on DMs Guild

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Zenopus wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:23 pm
I've now converted to the Tower of Zenopus to 5e and released it on DMs Guild. This includes notes on using it as the "Tower of Zenopus" adventure site included in Ghosts of Saltmarsh, so now there is a conversion of the Zenopus dungeon that is set in Greyhawk. :cool:

https://zenopusarchives.blogspot.com/20 ... 5e-on.html
Very cool! You may want to begin a separate thread on the topic. Folks may not notice a new post on a relatively old thread.

I just purchased it, and will take a look.

Zenopus
Hobgoblin

Post by Zenopus »

Thank you for the purchase, Tim! I thought about starting a new thread but I wasn't sure if that would be too spammy.

Edit: I did a little searching and saw that Big Mac indicated the Wishing Well is for product announcements, so I've created a new thread there.
“Story tellers are always careful to point out that the reputed dungeons lie in close proximity to the foundations of an older, pre-human city, to the graveyard, and to the sea.” --- J. Eric Holmes

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

My Zenopus Dungeon 5e conversion is now up on DMs Guild

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Zenopus wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:36 pm
Thank you for the purchase, Tim! I thought about starting a new thread but I wasn't sure if that would be too spammy.
I'm happy to. Thank you for creating it.
Zenopus wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:36 pm
Edit: I did a little searching and saw that Big Mac indicated the Wishing Well is for product announcements, so I've created a new thread there.
Good call!

stebehil
Hill Giant

Post by stebehil »

As ripvanwormer pointed out here: viewtopic.php?p=246932#p246932 , Ghosts of Saltmarsh is (most probably) set before the Greyhawk Wars, as the Scarlet Brotherhood is described in terms as they were before 582 CY, infiltration and preparation of a major takeover. Indeed, nothing in the book seems to indicate anything else. So, this is a reboot of the Saltmarsh "mini-setting", not a sequel. I hadn´t noticed before, to be honest (my Greyhawk-fu being untrained for years now).

Would you use it as written? Would you use the war at all, if starting out fresh? Could it be played after the war, and if so, what would need to be changed?

KtA
Bugbear

Post by KtA »

I agree.

The political situation in Keoland (previous imperialism, which failed, now turning to the south/sea and paying more attention to the Sea Princes) seems to line up with what's in the 1983 World of Greyhawk as well.

Iuz having a representative in Saltmarsh is interesting though, the old Greyhawk material describes him as almost a bogeyman - it seems odd that any vaguely 'civilized' / law-based nation (as opposed to Bandit Kingdoms, Horned Society etc.) would be willing to have any peaceful relations with Iuz.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

KtA wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:01 am
Iuz having a representative in Saltmarsh is interesting though, the old Greyhawk material describes him as almost a bogeyman - it seems odd that any vaguely 'civilized' / law-based nation (as opposed to Bandit Kingdoms, Horned Society etc.) would be willing to have any peaceful relations with Iuz.
Could this be explained by any developments that occur later in Greyhawk's metaplot? Could Ghosts of Saltmarsh be drawing elements from different parts of the timeline to make a richer story at the expense of established canon, for example?

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

Tim Baker wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:55 am
Could this be explained by any developments that occur later in Greyhawk's metaplot?
Keoland certainly doesn't grow any friendlier with Iuz as time passes. However, I don't really have any problem with a servant of Iuz selling magic items in a comparatively wild region in the arse-end of nowhere, full of smugglers and lizardfolk, far from the king's law. Keoland's status as a relatively good nation notwithstanding, not all of the kingdom is equally civilized or lawful.

Keoland was slow to oppose Iuz during the Greyhawk Wars. According to the Greyhawk Wars boxed set, the kingdom was "maddeningly silent" when Furyondy first called for aid against the demonic forces besieging their capital. It was only later, when it became clear that Iuz was a threat to more than the north, that the Treaty of Niole Dra was signed pledging Keoland's aid.

Here's a recent Canonfire! thread on the subject. And here's a thread speculating on Captain Xendros' ancestry.
Last edited by ripvanwormer on Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

ripvanwormer wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:40 am
Keoland certainly doesn't grow any friendlier with Iuz as time passes. However, I don't really have any problem with a servant of Iuz selling magic items in a comparatively wild region in the arse-end of nowhere, full of smugglers and lizardfolk, far from the king's law. Keoland's status as a relatively good nation notwithstanding, not all of the kingdom is equally civilized or lawful.

Keoland was slow to oppose Iuz during the Greyhawk Wars. According to the Greyhawk Wars boxed set, the kingdom was "maddeningly silent" when Furyondy first called for aid against the demonic forces besieging their capital. It was only later, when it became clear that Iuz was a threat to more than the north, that the Treaty of Niole Dra was signed pledging Keoland's aid.

Here's a recent Canonfire! thread on the subject. And here's a thread speculating on Captain Xendros' ancestry.
These are great resources. Thanks for the info!

KtA
Bugbear

Post by KtA »

It's not Xendros' presence in Saltmarsh specifically that I was questioning, but the statement that the king of Keoland doesn't see Iuz as an enemy.

But thanks... if their viewpoint is just that Iuz is too far away to matter, that would make sense.

Return to “Greyhawk”