Greyhawk Shadowfell

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Greyhawk Shadowfell

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:47 am

Tribality recently featured a post that suggested how you might use the Shadowfell in your Greyhawk game. As someone who isn't particularly versed in Greyhawk, how far does this stray from the Plane of Shadow (if at all)? Do you like the advice presented, or would you approach the Shadowfell differently in a Greyhawk game?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Greyhawk Shadowfell

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:29 am

I really like Richard Baker's depiction of the Shadowfell as just a new name for the Plane of Shadow in his Blades of the Moonsea trilogy.

The best thing about his Shadowfell scenes is that they were literally reboots of Material Plane locations (albeit inhabited by shadow monsters that want to kill you ;) ).

That means that a Greyhawk GM could literally make an entire replica of the City of Greyhawk and then make subtle changes (or big changes) to the city, that mean that people familiar with the layout of the city might find that certain roads don't exist or certain buildings have been build differently.

There are a few examples, in Forgotten Realms canon, of these Shadowfell/Plane of Shadow alternatives to Material Plane locations. They even gave them their own names.

And Shadowfell mirrors of relatively safe locations in Greyhawk could be a place for evil cultists to meet and plot the downfall of the Material Plane town or city.

Blake Ryan's idea, that there could be areas on Greyhawk that are linked to the Shadowfell, where PCs could stumble into the Shadowfell (without the use of spells and such) is an interesting one. My Greyhawk-fu is not good enough to know if these are the best places to do that (Ripvanwormer can probably advise on that) but these could all be good scenes in a long-term campaign, where the Shadowfell threatens Oerth.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:06 pm

I incorporated many features of 4e's Shadowfell into the map of Greyhawk's Plane of Shadow that I made.

I've been meaning to revise it and put the two darker Fading Lands there. The Blood Obelisk, mentioned in the linked article above, is a great candidate, as are the Crypts of Iron Souls. According to From the Ashes, the Crypts of Iron Souls are "...where the restless, animated bodies and spirits of the dead of many battles wander in subterranean glooms of semi-liquid ash and bones. Here, sounds can take semi-solid form and waves of screams can melt iron and steel." Sounds like it could be part of the Shadowfell, doesn't it?

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:33 am

ripvanwormer wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:06 pm
I incorporated many features of 4e's Shadowfell into the map of Greyhawk's Plane of Shadow that I made.

I've been meaning to revise it and put the two darker Fading Lands there. The Blood Obelisk, mentioned in the linked article above, is a great candidate, as are the Crypts of Iron Souls. According to From the Ashes, the Crypts of Iron Souls are "...where the restless, animated bodies and spirits of the dead of many battles wander in subterranean glooms of semi-liquid ash and bones. Here, sounds can take semi-solid form and waves of screams can melt iron and steel." Sounds like it could be part of the Shadowfell, doesn't it?
Thanks for sharing your map. Great resource!

I love that description of the Crypts of Iron Souls. I look forward to your update.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:34 am

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:29 am
The best thing about his Shadowfell scenes is that they were literally reboots of Material Plane locations (albeit inhabited by shadow monsters that want to kill you ;) ).
Those are some great adventure ideas!

Icarus
Ogre

Post by Icarus » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:08 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:06 pm
Honestly, I was SO excited to see the Shadowfell article on Tribality by Blake Ryan come up for discussion … I thought, briefly, "Oh, wow! I'll even discuss Rip's article, and link it!"

Well, duh. What was I thinking?
Of course Rip beat me to his own article!

On another note, though, they're both excellent resources! I think they work very nicely together!
I don't see any reason why a DM wouldn't use Rip, Ryan, and Baker all as inspiration for their campaigns!
"And he did fly,... and he was seen on the wings of the wind."
My online Gallery of Artwork. Take a look at my illustrations!

Return to “Greyhawk”