Age of Worms and the other Paizo 3E adventure paths

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Post Reply
User avatar
talsine
Priest of Syrinx
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 1:01 am
Gender: male
Location: Phoenix Metro, Arizona

Age of Worms and the other Paizo 3E adventure paths

Post by talsine » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:16 am

Has anyone here ever run these? I have about half of Age of Worms as old issues of Dungeon (which, can I say that I miss Dungeon a lot? I don't think i ever used most of the adventures as written, but I have definitely used a lot of pieces of them in my games.), and i was thinking about trying to run this for a new group of people. i really like the concepts, and the idea of ancient worm god just hits a sweat spot for me. So please, someone, tell you have run this and if it is worth trying to track down.

grodog
Hobgoblin
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: Age of Worms and the other Paizo 3E adventure paths

Post by grodog » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:39 am

I ran "The Whispering Cairn" back during the 3.x era, and enjoyed it enough to add it into my 1e Greyhawk campaign; it links to the later "A Gathering of Winds" in Dungeon 129, which is a fun reminder that there should always be things to come back to in dungeons later---mysteries to solve, tougher monsters to fight that the PCs previously ran away from, additional areas to explore that weren't discovered the first time around, etc. That Paizo was never able to reprint and collect this as a hardcover is a shame!

All that said, the Maure Castle adventures are still better: Dungeons 112, 124, and 139, with some other freebies on the web: see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maure_Castle for details.

Allan.
grodog
---
Allan Grohe
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

User avatar
talsine
Priest of Syrinx
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 1:01 am
Gender: male
Location: Phoenix Metro, Arizona

Re: Age of Worms and the other Paizo 3E adventure paths

Post by talsine » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:44 pm

grodog wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:39 am
I ran "The Whispering Cairn" back during the 3.x era, and enjoyed it enough to add it into my 1e Greyhawk campaign; it links to the later "A Gathering of Winds" in Dungeon 129, which is a fun reminder that there should always be things to come back to in dungeons later---mysteries to solve, tougher monsters to fight that the PCs previously ran away from, additional areas to explore that weren't discovered the first time around, etc. That Paizo was never able to reprint and collect this as a hardcover is a shame!

All that said, the Maure Castle adventures are still better: Dungeons 112, 124, and 139, with some other freebies on the web: see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maure_Castle for details.

Allan.
I will look into this as well, thank you!

grodog
Hobgoblin
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: Age of Worms and the other Paizo 3E adventure paths

Post by grodog » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:51 pm

You're quite welcome---enjoy! =)

Allan.
grodog
---
Allan Grohe
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

User avatar
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon
Posts: 4416
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 2:13 pm
Gender: male
Location: Long Beach, CA

Re: Age of Worms and the other Paizo 3E adventure paths

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:32 pm

I don't have the entirety of the run, but I do recall liking most of what I saw of Age of Worms. I thought it did a really excellent job of tying together Greyhawk lore and creating a steadily escalating, challenging adventure for characters.

I liked the concept and parts of Savage Tide, but I felt that its narrow focus on the Isle of Dread hampered its ability to remain interesting and evocative, that it relied overly on similar tropes of other APs (ie, lots of demons as high level threats), and mostly I didn't care for quite how much room was devoted to what- in my opinion- were the pet NPCs of the developers. Some of them manage to somehow gain enough levels and experience to consistently keep challenging the PCs at all levels, some of them gain experience and levels for no apparent reason whatsoever given their roles in the adventure (such as Lavinia Vanderboren), and the net result- given the size of stat blocks in 3E, is a lot of wasted space that could have been used for other things.

That said, I have never had occasion to run any of these myself, so cannot speak to their utility in actual play.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Image

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 25460
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Age of Worms and the other Paizo 3E adventure paths

Post by Big Mac » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:29 pm

I missed these, back in the day.

I was a bit sad that there were not official Greyhawk books for 3e and the fact that we had "Greyhawk-lite" content in the core rulebooks and that Paizo was putting out "Paizohawk" content flew under my RADAR for most (if not all) of the 3rd Edition Era.

I've picked up a copy of the Shackled City Adventure Path hardback and wish that the other adventure paths had been converted.

I'll be very interested to hear how you and others got on with this.

I'd also be interested to hear about any "Fan Enhancements" that tie Shackled City, Age of Worms, Savage Tide or Scales of War in with the Greyhawk setting any better.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Ahzad
Goblin
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:03 pm
Gender: male

Re: Age of Worms and the other Paizo 3E adventure paths

Post by Ahzad » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:27 pm

I'm currently running age of worms cut with parts of the rod of seven parts box set adapted for the spelljammer setting. We are about to get to the whispering cairn.

User avatar
Tim Baker
Axe Beak
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:51 am
Gender: male
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Age of Worms and the other Paizo 3E adventure paths

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:40 pm

If you're interested in listening to an actual play of the adventure path, this one's been going on for several months: viewtopic.php?t=21236.

User avatar
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon
Posts: 4416
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 2:13 pm
Gender: male
Location: Long Beach, CA

Re: Age of Worms and the other Paizo 3E adventure paths

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:59 am

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:29 pm
I'd also be interested to hear about any "Fan Enhancements" that tie Shackled City, Age of Worms, Savage Tide or Scales of War in with the Greyhawk setting any better.
I don't know about Scales of War, but all of the other three APs are pretty extensively tied into the lore of Greyhawk already. Particularly the first two (the third takes place largely in territory outside of the Flanaess, so it is a bit easier to remove from Greyhawk lore.)
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Image

apotheot
Troll
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:19 pm
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Age of Worms and the other Paizo 3E adventure paths

Post by apotheot » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:35 am

Following, I Intend to run all of them starting with the Shackled City (using the hardback they produced) starting in about a year or so.

User avatar
Dett
Kobold
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Texas!

Re: Age of Worms and the other Paizo 3E adventure paths

Post by Dett » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:33 pm

I've not run Age of Worms but I have the magazines and I'm eager to try it with my group. Right now I'm running Savage Tide and the players are having a blast! We are using Pathfinder ruleset so I'm having change a few things. We are two modules in and the group is having a blast. Lots of Greyhawk goodness baked into these adventure paths. I would gladly pay tidy sums for the Paizo team to release fresh adventure paths for Greyhawk. :-)

User avatar
talsine
Priest of Syrinx
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 1:01 am
Gender: male
Location: Phoenix Metro, Arizona

Re: Age of Worms and the other Paizo 3E adventure paths

Post by talsine » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:57 pm

Dett wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:33 pm
I've not run Age of Worms but I have the magazines and I'm eager to try it with my group. Right now I'm running Savage Tide and the players are having a blast! We are using Pathfinder ruleset so I'm having change a few things. We are two modules in and the group is having a blast. Lots of Greyhawk goodness baked into these adventure paths. I would gladly pay tidy sums for the Paizo team to release fresh adventure paths for Greyhawk. :-)
Greyhawk is WotC, so you won't ever see that again.

I'm gonna run it in PF2 myself, which will require some conversion, but I don't mind a challenge. I am hoping that i don't have to reinvent too many wheels

User avatar
Dett
Kobold
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Texas!

Re: Age of Worms and the other Paizo 3E adventure paths

Post by Dett » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:14 am

talsine wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:57 pm
Dett wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:33 pm
I've not run Age of Worms but I have the magazines and I'm eager to try it with my group. Right now I'm running Savage Tide and the players are having a blast! We are using Pathfinder ruleset so I'm having change a few things. We are two modules in and the group is having a blast. Lots of Greyhawk goodness baked into these adventure paths. I would gladly pay tidy sums for the Paizo team to release fresh adventure paths for Greyhawk. :-)
Greyhawk is WotC, so you won't ever see that again.
Sad but true. But I'm still holding out hope... Rumor has it Paizo is thinking about at least publishing 5E modules. So tiny steps!
I'm gonna run it in PF2 myself, which will require some conversion, but I don't mind a challenge. I am hoping that i don't have to reinvent too many wheels
I bet your players will have a blast.

User avatar
talsine
Priest of Syrinx
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 1:01 am
Gender: male
Location: Phoenix Metro, Arizona

Re: Age of Worms and the other Paizo 3E adventure paths

Post by talsine » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:58 am

Dett wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:14 am
talsine wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:57 pm
Dett wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:33 pm
I've not run Age of Worms but I have the magazines and I'm eager to try it with my group. Right now I'm running Savage Tide and the players are having a blast! We are using Pathfinder ruleset so I'm having change a few things. We are two modules in and the group is having a blast. Lots of Greyhawk goodness baked into these adventure paths. I would gladly pay tidy sums for the Paizo team to release fresh adventure paths for Greyhawk. :-)
Greyhawk is WotC, so you won't ever see that again.
Sad but true. But I'm still holding out hope... Rumor has it Paizo is thinking about at least publishing 5E modules. So tiny steps!
I'll be honest, some good quality APs might get me to try and revisit 5E, and Paizo certainly knows how to do good AP's
I'm gonna run it in PF2 myself, which will require some conversion, but I don't mind a challenge. I am hoping that i don't have to reinvent too many wheels
I bet your players will have a blast.
I hope so, one of them was the one who inspired this thread since they complained about missing the old Dungeon style adventures.

User avatar
Icarus
Ogre
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:31 pm
Gender: male
Location: Cape May
Contact:

Re: Age of Worms and the other Paizo 3E adventure paths

Post by Icarus » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 pm

talsine wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:16 am
… i was thinking about trying to run this for a new group of people. i really like the concepts, and the idea of ancient worm god just hits a sweat spot for me. So please, someone, tell you have run this and if it is worth trying to track down.
I have. They are.
I've enjoyed running the Age of Worms probably more than any other Greyhawk content over the years. I've run it four times, in total.
Granted, back in my college days, people came and went, characters died, etc.... so it wasn't a single continuous game, but, rather an interrupted series of groups.
And other groups started it, but didn't get all the way through - it likely takes well more than a year, at the very least.

But, there's dungeons, urban scenarios, murder mystery, monsters, humanoid enemies, political scheming, enemies you want to kill but can't, plenty of roleplaying opportunity, evil cults, mistaken identity, dragons, plenty of undead, dragonchess, and a doppleganger. Oh, and *lots* of combat. It doesn't get much more fun. There's something for everyone.
There's also plenty of online extras in the Age of Worms Overload, a massive NPC stat-block appendix, a summary of the starting town, Dungeon Magazine articles that expand the setting about Diamond Lake, the Free City, etc. … there's a series of Dragon Magazine companion articles that has gear to buy, NPCs to hire, prestige classes, and monthly downloads that include NPC art and such.

It's absolutely worth it. Obviously, some in the series are better than the others.
And everyone has different play styles.
But, one thing to note … usually, when someone asks for recommendations for a particular adventure, there's people saying, "No they're not worth it. Don't play them." etc. …
You're not seeing that here. Even the one opinion saying they prefer another set of adventure modules, that has nothing to do with this series, other than that they like something else. And even then, they're not saying this one should be skipped.
That, alone, says a great deal about this adventure series.
"And he did fly,... and he was seen on the wings of the wind."
My online Gallery of Artwork. Take a look at my illustrations!

grodog
Hobgoblin
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: Age of Worms and the other Paizo 3E adventure paths

Post by grodog » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:08 pm

Icarus wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 pm
Even the one opinion saying they prefer another set of adventure modules, that has nothing to do with this series, other than that they like something else. And even then, they're not saying this one should be skipped.
That, alone, says a great deal about this adventure series.
Oh agreed: I wasn't suggesting that AoW wasn't a great AP, just that I happen to prefer the Maure Castle adventures to AoW. I think that AoW is the strongest of the 3 true APs that Paizo published, for the many reasons that Kristoph outlined above so eloquently!

Allan.
grodog
---
Allan Grohe
grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Post Reply

Return to “Greyhawk”