Blackmoor - Greyhawk version

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Blackmoor - Greyhawk version

Post by Havard »

I just found this article on Scott Casper's blog
http://scottenkainenland.blogspot.com/2 ... rsion.html
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Overview of Blackmoor - Greyhawk Version
[Written in 2006 for a "Blackmoor in Greyhawk" campaign]
Tucked away in a little corner of the Flanaess, between the Land of Black Ice to the north, the Icy Sea to the west, the Cold Marshes to the south, and the Burneal Forest to the west, is the land of Blackmoor. Although isolated from most of the doings of the Flanaess, Blackmoor is an active place with its own dramatic history.

Though hilly, even mountainous, to the southeast and west, half of Blackmoor is below sea level. Peat, or "sinking land," is the most common soil. The forests are half-coniferous and half-deciduous. The most prominent geographic features are Lake Blackmoor, which flows into the Icy Sea; the Island of Coot in Lake Blackmoor; the
sylvan Redwood Forest to the east, between the City of Maus and the Dragon Hills; "Lake" Gloomen, an island-filled swamp to the southwest; and the Skandaharian Strait that feeds Lake Blackmoor with run-off from the Black Ice.

The indigenous humans of Blackmoor were the caramel-skinned Flanae-Skandaharians (the Skandaharians being a fierce Viking people that live in the Land of the Black Ice). In the ancient past, Baklunish and Oerdian immigrants came to the region. The Baklunish were small in number, remnants flung from their fallen empire to the far west. They brought some of their exotic culture to Blackmoor, but remained
largely aloof from the indigenous people. Some half-Baklunish people remain in Blackmoor today. The Oerdians, an expansionist people, brought Blackmoor a sense of connection with the rest of the Flanaess. This last migration was 500 years ago, when Blackmoor was still a little kingdom.

Although he lived almost 500 years ago, everyone in Blackmoor knows the name of Uther, last king of Blackmoor. Uther was fascinated with Oerdian tales of the "great kingdom" of Ferrond to the south. He journeyed there, through the orc-infested Cold Marshes and the nomad lands beyond and finally pledged his fealty to the Ferrondian
King. Uther became Marquis to the March of Blackmoor, farthest province of Ferrond.

Over time, Ferrond grew unstable and broke apart. Contact with Ferrond, or Furyondy as it would become, grew faint. And Blackmoor became busy with new matters outside its borders. To the far west, the Witch-Queen Iggwilv was trying to whip the Tiger Nomads into an army. Some nomads fled north through the Burneal Forest and came
into conflict with the forest's goblins and kobolds. The goblins in particular were pushed east and spilled into Blackmoor. Worse, when the nomads emerged from the north side of the forest, they settled down and became a rival and threat to Blackmoor. Their leaders were the Wolf Dukes. The then-Marquis of Blackmoor answered their threat by changing his own title to Arch-Duke, which his descendents have
kept since. Meanwhile, the goblins were harried north, where they were absorbed into the Barony of Coot, where evil men were gathering. All there were under the spell of a monstrous being called the Egg of Coot. Intent on conquest, the Coot Invasion of
the southern baronies began 400 years ago and took the combined effort of man and the fairy races, who had previously remained neutral in Blackmoor's affairs, to repel.
Posted by Scott at 1:53 PM
Is this really canon? Does GH assume that Uther's reign was 500 years ago?

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Samwise
Bugbear

Re: Blackmoor - Greyhawk version

Post by Samwise »

No, that is not the canon version of Blackmoor, it is just another fan version.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew »

Like Samwise says, I think it must be some fan's version of Oeridian history. It certainly isn't mentioned at all in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, and I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure it isn't mentioned at all in the original Greyhawk campaign book.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Thanks guys!

I thought that might be the case, but I also wondered how best to incorporate Blackmoor canon into Greyhawk. It does make sense that Arneson's campaign may have been set at an earlier time though doesnt it? At what time in Greyhawk's history were Gary's earliest games set?

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Samwise
Bugbear

Post by Samwise »

I am pretty sure he ran all of his game around the time of the first setting book - 576 CY.
Or at least whatever equivalent he used in his home game, as the home campaign Greyhawk had significant differences from the published Greyhawk.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

I don't think that Gygax used dates in his home game, but some of the events that occurred in his home game have subsequently been given canonical dates. According to the Living Greyhawk Journal #0, the Citadel of Eight (Mordenkainen, Yrag, Serten, Bigby, Robilar, Tenser, Teric, Murlynd, Melf, and so on) adventured beginning in 561 CY and broke up after the Battle of Emridy Meadows in 569 CY, so I'd place the original Lake Geneva Greyhawk campaign generally in that period. The Battle of Emridy Meadows didn't end Gygax's home game, of course, so many of those characters' adventures took place after that. Robilar adventured in the Temple of Elemental Evil adventure, which was set in 579 CY (ten years after Emridy Meadows). Robilar and Mordenkainen adventured in Dave Arneson's City of the Gods some time after that (according to Rob Kuntz on the Dragonsfoot forums).

That extends the period almost twenty years in-game, while in real life the majority of the Lake Geneva campaign only happened from the 1970s to early 1980s - the distortion is a result of trying to apply the real-life sequence of adventures to dates applied to the events long after the fact. Still, that would seem to fit best with all the available material.

I think that in real life, Dave Arneson's campaign began a year before Gary Gygax's campaign did.

561 CY *Campaign Starts
*Adventures into GH Castle by Teric, Robilar, Murlynd, and Tenser, and Elise Gygax's cleric (whose name has been forgotten)
*The Wight Adventure--all a dream--by Tenser and Robilar
*Other adventures--Otto Captured by Tenser
*The Orc Level of Greyhawk Battles: Quij Slays a Troll and is raised in level
*Otto joins Robilar out of distate for his captor
*The 1st level is sealed and fortified by the same three
"Building of the "three" 3 Keeps
*The Solo Adventures of Robilar
*Robilar in the Troll Dens
*Robilar and Gargoyle against the black Dragon and Purple worm, level 6 of GH.
*Robilar goes to "China"
*Teric and Tenser follow Robilar to China
*Trip back homeward-- City of Brass with flying carpets, the Rocs and the Gems
*Three different routes: Tenser heads home, Teric looks for forces of voodoo in the southern isles and
Robilar advantures into modern day Hepmonaland where he is captured and his +1 bow left behind wwhen he escapes.
*Solo Adventures by Teric into Castle
*Heavy outdoor Aventures begin
*Tenser Acquires Red Dragons
*Teric Acquire a black dragon
*Robilar acquires 3 green dragons, looses efreeti doing so
City has grown 4 fold with wealth flowing out of castle
*The White Dragon and the Wizard of the Tower Adventure by Robilar

569 CY *Battle of Emridy Meadows, Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure

570 CY *Loosing of the "Nine" by Robilar in GH castle

*Strange Way and Odd Alley adventures by Robilar, finds a ring of spell turning.
*Finding of the MU's crown by Tenser
*Robilar turns evil, killing some of his retainers, but one escapes to tell the tale

571 CY *Robilar completes Tomb of Horrors
572 CY *Erac's Cousin turns to evil after being tormented into swearing a pact with Baalzebul.

579 CY *Sacking of the Temple of Elemental Evil by Robilar
*Robilar's Castle Sacked; he goes into hiding (the reasons for this vary in canon, but originally it was retribution by Tenser, Otis, and other champions of Good for Robilar's freeing the demoness Zuggtmoy from beneath the Temple of Elemental Evil).
*Adventure to the City of the Gods, Robilar and Mordenkainen

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Thanks for providing this information Rip! :)

Any thoughts to aligning this timeline to the Blackmoor timeline?

If the classic Arneson campaign/ First Fantasy Campaign setting is aligned with 560CY (one year before Gary's), then the DA series and the d20 material will be set 25-30 years later (585-590CY), just prior to the Living Greyhawk Campaign.

Blackmoor's Age of the Wolf, set 269 years after that, will correspond to 855-859CY. I couldnt find much on GH in that specific period.

Thoughts?

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

Havard wrote:Blackmoor's Age of the Wolf, set 269 years after that, will correspond to 855-859CY. I couldnt find much on GH in that specific period.
Nothing of that period is known. The next dates we know anything about is 644 CY (the Dwarven Resurgence mentioned in Dragon #277) and 963 CY (a time of fading magic, when Pluffet Smedger the Elder was designing role-playing games to be used as aids in teaching the ancient history of 576 CY).

I'd say that setting the First Fantasy Campaign in 560 CY makes as much sense as anything else, keeping in mind that the dates I used above are the result of comparing two quite different things (the real Lake Geneva Greyhawk campaign and the in-game history of the published World of Greyhawk).

Return to “Greyhawk”