Frank Mentzer's Aquaria

Quest for the lost city of Empyrea in Frank Mentzer's Aquaria Setting.
The Book-House: Find Aquaria products.

Moderators: Big Mac, Havard

Frank Mentzer's Aquaria

Postby galliard » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:18 pm

Hi everyone, I wanted to start a thread about Aquaria since there is talk of more details of this setting seeing the light of day! I dropped it in Greyhawk because supposedly Gary Gygax approved its being located east of Oerik.

First of all, can we get a list of publications that have info on this setting? For starters, we obviously have I12 Egg of the Phoenix. I believe R1-4 also qualify. Any others?

Does anyone have any links to info/maps of the setting?

Does anyone have a sense for how large the continent is in terms of miles?

Has anyone culled the little tidbits of info dropped in the Mentzer threads over at Dragonsfoot?

Moved from greyhawk forum.
galliard
Gnoll

Re: Frank Mentzer's Aquaria

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:28 pm

If you contact Frank through Dragonsfoot, he can probably send you some files with maps and some other info about the setting. I have them, but I dont want to distribute them without his permission.

I asked him about the size of the continent compared to those of Mystara (thinking about incorporating it) and he said it would be about the size of Belisaria.

Aquaria was originally supposed to be placed in Greyhawk as you say, and much of the history and facts are derived from that. However, over the last few years Frank has been working to separate it from GH since he is interested in getting it published and wouldnt want to get into any entanglements over copyright.

The whole Technology (Tek) vs. Magic is a recurring theme of Aquaria. Frank uses a mix of the BECMI/RC rules and 1E when running Aquaria, apparently, including the Gold Box cosmology (Immortals etc).

Havard
Last edited by Havard on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ripvanwormer » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:27 am

I wrote an article on the setting (using the name given for the region in the Egg of the Phoenix supermodule, since the name "Aquaria" isn't used officially anywhere) on the Greyhawk wiki.

Note that it's not a continent in itself; it's a relatively small region about 170x270 miles in area, 5000 miles across the ocean from the Flanaess. Whether it's part of a separate continent or not is unknown (though using the current official map of Oerth, it would be part of Western Oerik).

The only sources, apart from Frank Mentzer himself, are R1-4 and the Egg of the Phoenix supermodule.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:50 am

ripvanwormer wrote:I wrote an article on the setting (using the name given for the region in the Egg of the Phoenix supermodule, since the name "Aquaria" isn't used officially anywhere) on the Greyhawk wiki.

Great article! I notice that you use the name New Empyrea. Frank has also stated that future products will probably use the name Empyrea rather than Aquaria.

Note that it's not a continent in itself; it's a relatively small region about 170x270 miles in area, 5000 miles across the ocean from the Flanaess. Whether it's part of a separate continent or not is unknown (though using the current official map of Oerth, it would be part of Western Oerik).

Frank has stated that it is supposed to be a separate continent, though you are right that there are no written sources documenting this. Nor does any of the written material cover anything what is beyond the small region you mention.

Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:51 pm

So where does the name Aquaria come in?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ripvanwormer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:56 am

Big Mac wrote:So where does the name Aquaria come in?

Aquaria is the name Frank Mentzer refers to his campaign as. As a result, many of the people who know of the setting at all know if it by that name.

The short timeline of the setting in Oerth Journal #1 also uses the name "Aquaria."

Empyrea is properly the name of the kingdom founded by John Asperman and its capital city (though neither were known by that name until the reign of his son, John II). New Empyrea is the coalition of good-aligned cities that replaced the kingdom after Empyrea's fall (and the regional map in the Egg of the Phoenix supermodule is labeled "New Empyrea"). The land in which New Empyrea is located (including the evil and neutral states that surround it) isn't given a name - unofficially, that would probably be Aquaria, named for the "Aquaerdians" (Aerdi humans, with mixed Flannae blood) who colonized it.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:15 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:Aquaria is the name Frank Mentzer refers to his campaign as. As a result, many of the people who know of the setting at all know if it by that name.

The short timeline of the setting in Oerth Journal #1 also uses the name "Aquaria."

Empyrea is properly the name of the kingdom founded by John Asperman and its capital city (though neither were known by that name until the reign of his son, John II). New Empyrea is the coalition of good-aligned cities that replaced the kingdom after Empyrea's fall (and the regional map in the Egg of the Phoenix supermodule is labeled "New Empyrea"). The land in which New Empyrea is located (including the evil and neutral states that surround it) isn't given a name - unofficially, that would probably be Aquaria, named for the "Aquaerdians" (Aerdi humans, with mixed Flannae blood) who colonized it.

Thanks ripvanwormer.

Do you think that Frank Mentzer will be able to release some sort of conversion notes for people who want to buy his new campaign setting and reintegrate it back into Greyhawk?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Hugin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:15 pm

As an update to this subject, Aquaria has its own sub-forum here which Frank Mentzer has settled into for discussions. It can be found under the "Other Worlds" forums. A direct link is here; Aquaria.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Return to Aquaria