Greyhawk Webcomic

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Postby Azaghal » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:49 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Azaghal wrote:I haven`t followed Greyhawk for years and yet I feel I should know the cultists!! Grrrr!

I have a couple of powerful NPCs in mind, yet I have the feeling that I will be wrong. Mort will announce who they really are, and I'll sit here blinking at my screen saying, "Who!?"
:P

Either that or DOH! *facepalm*
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby mortellan » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:48 am

Azaghal wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:
Azaghal wrote:I haven`t followed Greyhawk for years and yet I feel I should know the cultists!! Grrrr!

I have a couple of powerful NPCs in mind, yet I have the feeling that I will be wrong. Mort will announce who they really are, and I'll sit here blinking at my screen saying, "Who!?"
:P

Either that or DOH! *facepalm*

I live for this type of commentary! :P

Anyhoo, not much to show you guys this week. The blog tells it all. Expect a furious output from me in December. :roll:
http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2010/11/thanksgiving-break.html
mortellan
Troll

Postby mortellan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:31 am

http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2010/12/greyhawk-comic-battle-of-shamblefield.html

Some mighty reading ahead, but educationally nostalgic!
mortellan
Troll

Postby Dread Delgath » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:44 am

mortellan wrote:http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2010/12/greyhawk-comic-battle-of-shamblefield.html

Some mighty reading ahead, but educationally nostalgic!

The Seal of Marner? Gimme that paper. Bet yer horns I'll sign it! It's the only reason I learned writin' for! :twisted:

As we near that mythical episode number of 300, I feel something blowing in the wind. ;)
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby Azaghal » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:41 pm

Awesome Mortellan! Sherman and Peabody were great! That goes way back!.
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby mortellan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks Azaghal! It certainly does go way back. If I had a Wayback Machine I'd fix things about Greyhawk too.
Last edited by mortellan on Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
mortellan
Troll

Postby Azaghal » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:26 pm

mortellan wrote:Thanks Azaghal! It certainly does go way back. If I had a Wayback Machine I'd change a fix things about Greyhawk too.

:lol: I think most of us would.
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby mortellan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:04 am

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/title/wogstrip299a.htm

The cultists are back! One more till #300!
mortellan
Troll

Postby Samwise » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:36 am

Okay, I figured out who Cultist #2 is.
I'm still not sure about #1, though I expect if I looked at a list of NPCs I could figure it out.
Samwise
Bugbear

Postby mortellan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:38 am

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/title/wogstrip300a.htm

Get ready to facepalm folks! #300, TADA!

(Hope your suspicions were right, Sam.)
Last edited by mortellan on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mortellan
Troll

Postby Samwise » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:07 am

50/50

I had Tang, the stuff about looking at maps did that.

I didn't expect Philidor, I was thinking one of the wizards from back in CoG, someone in the Guild or school.

Interesting choices.
Samwise
Bugbear

Postby ripvanwormer » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:25 am

Nailed it.

It's funny, though. My original guess (back in September) for the "smart" cultist was Lord Melkotia Marchanter, because he seemed to be parroting some of Maldin's ideas about the gods.

My next guess, back in October, was that they were Mordenkainen and Yrag.

I got it eventually, though!

Looking back at it, I notice that Philidor's "It's more important where I'm going" line that he says while playing chess with Rudd comes straight from his description in From the Ashes.

And yeah, "gnat" is "Tang" spelled backwards. Boo!
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby mortellan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:31 am

Samwise wrote:50/50

I had Tang, the stuff about looking at maps did that.

I didn't expect Philidor, I was thinking one of the wizards from back in CoG, someone in the Guild or school.

Interesting choices.

Nice spot on the map clue. I had forgot I used that bit. Well Phil wasn't in CoG true, but he is a Guild member, no? Thanks!
mortellan
Troll

Postby mortellan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:35 am

ripvanwormer wrote:Nailed it.

It's funny, though. My original guess (back in September) for the "smart" cultist was Lord Melkotia Marchanter, because he seemed to be parroting some of Maldin's ideas about the gods.

My next guess, back in October, was that they were Mordenkainen and Yrag.

I got it eventually, though!

Looking back at it, I notice that Philidor's "It's more important where I'm going" line that he says while playing chess with Rudd comes straight from his description in From the Ashes.

And yeah, "gnat" is "Tang" spelled backwards. Boo!

Marchanter is way too obscure IMO, I was serious when I said I was using 'well known' NPCs. Mordy and Yrag would've been keen though I know little about Yrag personally. The Philidor line slipped by somehow. I really wondered if a wikimeister like you would've spotted that right away. Glad you went to the wire!
mortellan
Troll

Postby Ashtagon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:16 pm

I have no idea what actually happened in this comic :?
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby mortellan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:24 pm

Ashtagon wrote:I have no idea what actually happened in this comic :?

:lol: That's the Philidor-effect. Anytime you try to ask questions about his personal business, your mind gets muddled. I'd be happy to explain(dodge) any loose threads.
mortellan
Troll

Postby night_druid » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:24 pm

I know my character's homeworld was destroyed in the comic ;(

;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Dread Delgath » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:24 pm

night_druid wrote:

;)

At least it wasn't your destiny or sense of continuity that was destroyed. :P Philidor was one of my guesses several months ago when Mortellan released this info, and since I knew Philidor was from a different plane, but I ruled him out because I didn't recall that he resided in the City of Greyhawk. Its been too long since I last cracked a CoGH book. :oops:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Postby mortellan » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:00 am

night_druid wrote:

;)

Are you talking about Greela? That was swallowed whole. There's still a chance it could be spat or sneezed out of the Quazar Dragon. I'm just sayin'.
mortellan
Troll

Postby mortellan » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:02 am

Dread Delgath wrote:At least it wasn't your destiny or sense of continuity that was destroyed. :P Philidor was one of my guesses several months ago when Mortellan released this info, and since I knew Philidor was from a different plane, but I ruled him out because I didn't recall that he resided in the City of Greyhawk. Its been too long since I last cracked a CoGH book. :oops:

Looks like you fell for the mind-altering effects of Philidor too! He's so elusive, I bet a few months from now you won't even remember this conversation! ;)
mortellan
Troll

Postby Dread Delgath » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:19 am

mortellan wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:At least it wasn't your destiny or sense of continuity that was destroyed. :P Philidor was one of my guesses several months ago when Mortellan released this info, and since I knew Philidor was from a different plane, but I ruled him out because I didn't recall that he resided in the City of Greyhawk. Its been too long since I last cracked a CoGH book. :oops:

Looks like you fell for the mind-altering effects of Philidor too! He's so elusive, I bet a few months from now you won't even remember this conversation! ;)

Eh, what were you saying? Phil who?
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Postby Samwise » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:43 am

mortellan wrote:Nice spot on the map clue. I had forgot I used that bit. Well Phil wasn't in CoG true, but he is a Guild member, no? Thanks!

He probably is a Guild member.
I'm not sure why now, but it never really occurred to me to consider using him for any LG stuff.

However . . .

mortellan wrote:Marchanter is way too obscure IMO, I was serious when I said I was using 'well known' NPCs. Mordy and Yrag would've been keen though I know little about Yrag personally. The Philidor line slipped by somehow. I really wondered if a wikimeister like you would've spotted that right away. Glad you went to the wire!

Philidor is 'well known'?
I thought only obscure canonistas remembered him, let alone cared about him?
Hmmm . . .
Maybe I should cast "Detect Shenanigans" on that just to be sure.

Still, I did catch that map clue, and I figured I'd never have a hint about either of them.
Samwise
Bugbear

Postby night_druid » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:46 am

mortellan wrote:Are you talking about Greela? That was swallowed whole. There's still a chance it could be spat or sneezed out of the Quazar Dragon. I'm just sayin'.

Heh, he's in another sphere anyways, so no great loss other than his mom, who he hates with a passion ;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Dread Delgath » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:21 am

Samwise wrote:Philidor is 'well known'?
I thought only obscure canonistas remembered him, let alone cared about him?
Hmmm . . .
Maybe I should cast "Detect Shenanigans" on that just to be sure.

Still, I did catch that map clue, and I figured I'd never have a hint about either of them.

If I had gone through my 2e GH material throughout this whole contest, I could point out Philidor's existence more readily than Tang's. Honestly, I don't recall Tang. Ever. :oops:

I considered myself to have a good handle on all trivia Greyhawk up until the tail end of 2e*. Nothing of Grodog or Canonfire aficionado level, but as far as keeping my pre-Wars campaign going, I knew quite a bit and tacked on some Quag Keep pre-history stuff to keep my players guessing. :lol:

(*I stopped collecting when 3e came out & there my general knowledge proficiency drops off. This is also around the time (2000) that I finally got online and did a search of WoG and discovered to my horror that not only was I not alone in the universe, but that my knowledge was instantly obsolete.
In the words of a now long-forgotten Krikkitian I uttered a horrible oath, my Shon'Kar: "It'll have to go.")
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Postby mortellan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:13 am

Dread Delgath wrote: If I had gone through my 2e GH material throughout this whole contest, I could point out Philidor's existence more readily than Tang's. Honestly, I don't recall Tang. Ever. :oops:

That's because Tang was not around in 2nd edition (the Sargent era). He got a token mention in the history of Stonehold for the Living Greyhawk Gaz, but that's it since 1e.
mortellan
Troll

PreviousNext

Return to Greyhawk