Greyhawk Webcomic

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

mortellan
Troll

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by mortellan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:23 am

Samwise wrote: Philidor is 'well known'?
I thought only obscure canonistas remembered him, let alone cared about him?
Hmmm . . .
Maybe I should cast "Detect Shenanigans" on that just to be sure.

Still, I did catch that map clue, and I figured I'd never have a hint about either of them.
Their obscurity is overmatched by their infamy as unloved GH NPCs. That alone puts them heads above many many other NPC candidates including Yrag or Marchanter but below lightning rods like Robilar or Rary. A perfect position for a mystery like this.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:05 am

mortellan wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote: If I had gone through my 2e GH material throughout this whole contest, I could point out Philidor's existence more readily than Tang's. Honestly, I don't recall Tang. Ever. :oops:
That's because Tang was not around in 2nd edition (the Sargent era). He got a token mention in the history of Stonehold for the Living Greyhawk Gaz, but that's it since 1e.
Is Tang mentioned in any 1e GH?
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:01 am

Dread Delgath wrote: Is Tang mentioned in any 1e GH?
Greyhawk Adventures (hardback) by James Ward.
It had quite a bit of new stuff in it, including a "Hall of Heroes". Tang is given a lengthy write up as is several other NPCs, some notable some just as forgotten as Tang. Tang is the son of a KhaKhan (royalty) from the Dry Steppes who goes on a wanderlust to the east. He serves as a mercenary leader for several nations, eventually landing in Iuz where he pisses off the old one for defying orders and goes on the run. Tang swore a vendetta on Iuz and had planned on creating a horde of Wolf Nomads, Rovers (and more?) to crush Iuz. It was a pipe dream perhaps, but he is set up as a possible second front in the war against Iuz. Could you imagine Furyondy and the Shield Lands being bailed out by the riders of the north? Very tolkien-y if ask me! Carl Sargent flubbed by not using Tang in 2nd edition. IMO, Tang is often ridiculed only for his name, not the character concept.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:00 am

Tang feels like the protagonist of an unwritten fantasy series, perhaps what Mika-Oba should have been. I imagine that Sargent left him out under the theory that if anyone rallies a horde to attack Iuz, it should be a PC.

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:02 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:Tang feels like the protagonist of an unwritten fantasy series, perhaps what Mika-Oba should have been. I imagine that Sargent left him out under the theory that if anyone rallies a horde to attack Iuz, it should be a PC.
Well sure the PCs should aspire to greatness but any DM would be hard pressed to put a PC into the position for power that Tang has. Going by the NPCs in that same book, it would be equivalent to having a PC aspire to be mayor of Greyhawk City or even the Father of Obedience in the Scarlet Brotherhood. All the NPCs in that section are set-up to be major encounters in a DM's campaign. If the campaign hinges on defeating Iuz militarily, you are hiring/diplomacizing with Tang not replacing his role in the campaign. It's okay for Sargent to create a new NPC to rally the elves against Iuz but not use an existing one for the nomads? I think he just overlooked Tang is all.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:41 pm

As far as I am concerned, if the PCs will want any "role" to play in this campaign, they will want to be in Tang's place, not led along by the noses to the adventure with Tang (or anyone else for that matter) leading the way. If my players didn't know that Tang was a major TSR created NPC for the World of Greyhawk, they would think that he is a DMPC and look for ways to make him die. They will look for ways to aspire to be the Mayor of Greyhawk or the Father of Obedience, and the campaign should have some allowances for this, but I always felt like all the NPCs presented were inviolate and I recall many, many places where it was written that to let PCs take the reins would lead to a runaway campaign. The game authors did not trust my PCs, which I found to be in poor game design. It is my job as DM to not trust my PCs, not the game designers. :evil:

OK, I'm done ranting now. Sorry about that. I just had to get that off my chest. :)
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:57 am

Summoning a barbarian horde used to be a class feature that every barbarian got at 8th level, though Tang was potentially breaking the rules by trying to summon a horde outside his native land. And, of course, Sargent was writing for 2nd edition, when all a fighter with the barbarian kit got was a +3 reaction bonus, and Tang was a straight-up fighter anyway. But... for those continuing to use Unearthed Arcana rules at that point (or even for those who weren't), Tang's campaign role involved doing something a PC barbarian could conceivably do without him. Whether or not a PC eventually becomes mayor of Greyhawk, someone has to be mayor at the beginning of the campaign, before the PC reaches that point. But no one has to be gathering a horde to battle Iuz before the PCs think of doing so.

That said, I'm sure there are are many ways to use Tang that don't involve him "leading the PCs around by their noses." In fact, negotiating with him could be part of the process by which the PCs get an allied barbarian horde, whether they're barbarians or not. Even someone using Unearthed Arcana rules,

Philidor feels different to me, though. He's the Dumbledore to the PCs' Harry, Ron, and Hermione, or the Obi-Wan to their Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, and miscellaneous droids. His role is to show the PCs what their destiny is, and politely die so they can get on with it. He can yell "You shall not pass!" but really it's the PCs who should ultimately have to kill the balor, and Philidor ought to be courteous enough not to come back after the balor makes an example of him. There are indeed other NPCs who can fill this function - not Tenser, since he was dead during the From the Ashes era, although some were theorizing at the time that Philidor was Tenser reincarnated somehow (they are both good wizards with a fondness for blue). Mordenkainen and the rest of the Circle to some degree, though they work just as well as the morally ambiguous Professor Snape or Lando. Of course, there's Tenser's protege, Jallarzi, but I think it was Tenser's return, more than anything, that made Philidor redundant. Though "Philidor the Blue Smurf" was unpopular long before then (I remember another theory that he was some kind of overgrown xvart).

You can do the same thing with Tang, too. "Tang the Horrific has fallen," said Philidor. "And with it the Northern Alliance and all our hopes. You must prove yourself to the great men of the north as Tang did before you, and reunite the alliance before all is lost. Now excuse me while I get killed by a balor."

Samwise
Bugbear

Post by Samwise » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:43 am

mortellan wrote:Their obscurity is overmatched by their infamy as unloved GH NPCs. That alone puts them heads above many many other NPC candidates including Yrag or Marchanter but below lightning rods like Robilar or Rary. A perfect position for a mystery like this.
Heh.
You've got a point there. :P

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:55 am

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:26 am

Utterly Awesome Mortellan!! Encore! Encore!
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:56 pm

That got my slay bells a ringing! :mrgreen:

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:00 am

Thanks all. It turned out great, but I wish I had one more week to work on that Special. Too much stuff going on in December. Time for a slow-down methinks.

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:13 am

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/ ... ip302a.htm

More Greyhawk madness to heap on your poor gaming minds.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:36 am

mortellan wrote:http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/ ... ip302a.htm

More Greyhawk madness to heap on your poor gaming minds.
Mortellan's Magical Mystery Maginomicon!

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:29 am

Awesome! Nobody has ever named a spellbook after me before. Now for me to take this Maginomoicon and go on Mortellan's Magical Mystery Tour!

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:04 pm

mortellan wrote:Awesome! Nobody has ever named a spellbook after me before. Now for me to take this Maginomoicon and go on Mortellan's Magical Mystery Tour!
As you should! That would be the Magical Mystery signing tour!

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Azaghal wrote:
mortellan wrote:Awesome! Nobody has ever named a spellbook after me before. Now for me to take this Maginomoicon and go on Mortellan's Magical Mystery Tour!
As you should! That would be the Magical Mystery signing tour!
Mortellan: What am I signing again?

Tour Manager: We can't tell you. It must remain a mystery for this tour to live up to it's name.
:lol:

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:21 am

http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2011/01 ... ecast.html

Some winter nostalgia for the old gamers.

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:59 am

mortellan wrote:http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2011/01 ... ecast.html

Some winter nostalgia for the old gamers.
Very nice.

In reply to your comment on the blog, I believe that illustration of Kostchtchie is by Daniel Horne.
- Selman

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:32 am

Sorry about my hiatus. New laptop and figuring out my links slowly. Expect a new GH comic very soon!

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:14 pm

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:29 am

Awesomeness Mortellan! Glad you're back!

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:32 am

Woot! :mrgreen:

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:04 am

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:03 pm

I'm glad you still post the notifications for new strips here, as I never check My Yahoo page for new updates. :oops:

Return to “Greyhawk”