Greyhawk Webcomic

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

mortellan
Troll

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by mortellan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:25 am

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:44 am

One of my friends is the Devil's Cabana boy, and he never has stories like this to tell! Image
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:07 am

I love the punchline. :D
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:46 am

Big Mac wrote:
I love the punchline. :D
However, I didn't care much for the punch. Image
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:44 am

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:49 am

Yep. Another late night talk show with brain dead, thick-skulls! :lol:

No love for 4e from me, but I don't wish harm on anything Brian James is involved with, as he is a friend. I'll have to send a link to him here. I know he'll get a kick out of it! :mrgreen:

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:09 pm

Still loving these! :lol: Thanks.

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:34 am

Dread Delgath wrote:Yep. Another late night talk show with brain dead, thick-skulls! :lol:

No love for 4e from me, but I don't wish harm on anything Brian James is involved with, as he is a friend. I'll have to send a link to him here. I know he'll get a kick out of it! :mrgreen:
Cool! I love it when authors get a look at my parodies of their work.

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:56 pm

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/ ... ip212a.htm

This message will self-destruct in 10 seconds...

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:15 pm

Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:22 pm

Haha, double-auto. The notes after the comic are interesting as well so thanks for them too.

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:22 am

Yeah my intros/annotations are as fun to compose as the comic themselves. I'm glad you like them!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:25 am

mortellan wrote:Yeah my intros/annotations are as fun to compose as the comic themselves. I'm glad you like them!
They are kind of like DVD extras! :D

And they really help me get the joke when you do a comic about something I know nothing about. :oops:

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:51 pm

mortellan wrote:http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/ ... ip212a.htm

Heh, yeah, self-destruct mechanisms on ships always make sense. Lets rig our ship with explosives that could be triggered accidentally in battle, that makes a ton of sense... :lol: (Note: comment about sci fi in general, not the comic, which is hilarious)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:18 am

night_druid wrote:
mortellan wrote:http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/ ... ip212a.htm

Heh, yeah, self-destruct mechanisms on ships always make sense. Lets rig our ship with explosives that could be triggered accidentally in battle, that makes a ton of sense... :lol: (Note: comment about sci fi in general, not the comic, which is hilarious)
Hmm. Well, the fantasy version of this is the giant magical Stone City that starts to crumble to dust when you rip the magic horn out of the statue of power that allows the uber-wizard to rule the world.

They did this sort of thing in Krull. I don't think it was made of stone, but there were big lumps randomly falling down from the roof while they escaped.

But going back to science fiction, lets not forget that the exploding ship principle was scaled up to the Death Star. An uber distructive battle station powerful enough to destroy an entire planet, covered in weapons and forcefields and protected by hundreds of small fighter ships...but with an "exaust pipe" leading right down into the reactor.

If Greyhawk Webcomic was a Star Wars comic, I'd expect someone to stuff a potato into the exaust port and make the Death Star blow up! :lol:

(Actually, I'd love the "Gods in Spaaace" to visit some of the worlds of Greyspace at some point. It would be fun to see Mortellan poke his tongue out at some of the weird things there: like the drow spelljamming port hidden in a volcano on Kule - a planet with no atmosphere. That might be a good place for the gods to go for ship repairs.)

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:28 am

OK, now one of my NPCs has to carry around a 10 lb sack of potatoes; if only to make the PCs ask why. Image

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:25 am

Big Mac wrote:(Actually, I'd love the "Gods in Spaaace" to visit some of the worlds of Greyspace at some point. It would be fun to see Mortellan poke his tongue out at some of the weird things there: like the drow spelljamming port hidden in a volcano on Kule - a planet with no atmosphere. That might be a good place for the gods to go for ship repairs.)
Good call. Exploring bits of Greyspace is on my radar as you'll find out real soon with any luck. 8-)

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:29 am

night_druid wrote:Heh, yeah, self-destruct mechanisms on ships always make sense. Lets rig our ship with explosives that could be triggered accidentally in battle, that makes a ton of sense... :lol: (Note: comment about sci fi in general, not the comic, which is hilarious)
Incredibly, Zagig's explosive ship payload is in canon. You shall see what I mean eventually. ;)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:27 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:OK, now one of my NPCs has to carry around a 10 lb sack of potatoes; if only to make the PCs ask why.
I'm sure a set of potatoes could have various uses. You could break windows with them. You could toss them behind monsters, to make them turn around and check out the noise.

You might even be able to eat them! :lol:
mortellan wrote:
Big Mac wrote:(Actually, I'd love the "Gods in Spaaace" to visit some of the worlds of Greyspace at some point. It would be fun to see Mortellan poke his tongue out at some of the weird things there: like the drow spelljamming port hidden in a volcano on Kule - a planet with no atmosphere. That might be a good place for the gods to go for ship repairs.)
Good call. Exploring bits of Greyspace is on my radar as you'll find out real soon with any luck. 8-)
Brilliant! I look forward to it. The Greyspace page on Spelljammer Wiki is a bit out of bare, but let me know if you want any obscure SJ canon looked up.
mortellan wrote:
night_druid wrote:Heh, yeah, self-destruct mechanisms on ships always make sense. Lets rig our ship with explosives that could be triggered accidentally in battle, that makes a ton of sense... :lol: (Note: comment about sci fi in general, not the comic, which is hilarious)
Incredibly, Zagig's explosive ship payload is in canon. You shall see what I mean eventually. ;)
Hmm. I'm wondering if the self destruct count stop at one (like in Galaxy Quest*)! Will we ever see an Unneccesary Combat Roll? :lol:

* = By Gaerdal's hammer, by the sons of Wenta, you shall be avenged! :P

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:02 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:OK, now one of my NPCs has to carry around a 10 lb sack of potatoes; if only to make the PCs ask why.
I'm sure a set of potatoes could have various uses. You could break windows with them. You could toss them behind monsters, to make them turn around and check out the noise.

I was thinking of having the MU cast "Enlarge" on a spud, "Blade Barrier" it through & through, then blasting it with a new spell "Deep Fat Fry".
Big Mac wrote:
mortellan wrote:
Hmm. I'm wondering if the self destruct count stop at one (like in Galaxy Quest*)! Will we ever see an Unneccesary Combat Roll? :lol:

* = By Gaerdal's hammer, by the sons of Wenta, you shall be avenged! :P
LOL! "But our self destruct sequence stops at eleven..."

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:00 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

I was thinking of having the MU cast "Enlarge" on a spud, "Blade Barrier" it through & through, then blasting it with a new spell "Deep Fat Fry".

Hmm...

...OK...

...of course, if I was your GM, I'd rule that you couldn't actually buy a sack of potatoes unless we were playing a Maztica game! :twisted: :P

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:14 am

Big Mac wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

Hmm...

...OK...

...of course, if I was your GM, I'd rule that you couldn't actually buy a sack of potatoes unless we were playing a Maztica game! :twisted: :P
I always thought of the potato as being very Celtic! What with the Potato Famine & all that...

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:17 pm

I like that Blade Barrier-Potato trick! Very comic-bookish!

Unnecessary combat rolls? Hm, another good idea for the memory bank.

Lively and wacky discussions, I love it.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:38 pm

mortellan wrote:Good call. Exploring bits of Greyspace is on my radar as you'll find out real soon with any luck. 8-)
Sweet. Probably fly through the Seven Sisters or ram the Habitat.... :D
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:01 pm

Habitat... habitat... habitrail... hamsters.... giant space hamsters habitrail!

"That's no worm hole, Captain! That's a Giant Space Hamster Habitrail! Quick! Get us out of here, before the ship gets caught in the hamster wheel!"

:shock: (Mental train of thought is not a pretty sight, sometimes...)

Return to “Greyhawk”