Greyhawk Webcomic

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Post Reply
User avatar
chatdemon
Hobgoblin
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:17 pm
Gender: male
Location: The Known World
Contact:

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by chatdemon » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:03 am

For those interested in Jason Zavoda's index, which Mortellan mentions in this week's comic:

http://melkot.com/mechanics/Encyclopedi ... ia2003.pdf

mortellan
Troll
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:08 pm
Gender: male
Location: Ullinois
Contact:

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by mortellan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:18 am

Dread Delgath wrote:Morty, if you're still endeavoring to encounter the enigmatic envoy of Greyhawkian enlightenment, Jason Zavoda, he is a member of Dragon's Foot. Search for his name there in the member database, & engage him in egalitarian effluvia & excelsior. :mrgreen:
I have been to DF many times. Can't say I've discussed anything included with JZ yet though.

mortellan
Troll
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:08 pm
Gender: male
Location: Ullinois
Contact:

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by mortellan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:19 am

chatdemon wrote:For those interested in Jason Zavoda's index, which Mortellan mentions in this week's comic:

http://melkot.com/mechanics/Encyclopedi ... ia2003.pdf
TYVM. I have updated my annotation. :)

Samwise
Bugbear
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:11 am
Gender: male

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by Samwise » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:08 pm

mortellan wrote:Would that be Hoblink? Hobliz?
It is Hoblumberjacks (and they're okay).

Flan is a very confusing language. :P

User avatar
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: "The Good Life"

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:31 pm

Samwise wrote:
mortellan wrote:Would that be Hoblink? Hobliz?
It is Hoblumberjacks (and they're okay).

Flan is a very confusing language. :P
What would you expect from those cross-dressing humanoids? At least their not cannibals like the gnolls in the RAF (Rary's Attack Force).

Sincerely,
Dread Delgath in a white wine sauce...
Mrs.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Samwise
Bugbear
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:11 am
Gender: male

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by Samwise » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:26 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:What would you expect from those cross-dressing humanoids? At least their not cannibals like the gnolls in the RAF (Rary's Attack Force).
Hobloggers do not cross-dress!

That is limited to Mystaran Hin pirates who do it out of a woeful lack of fashion sense.

Neither do they skip, jump (except to leap to safety to avoid a falling tree), or press wildflowers.
Those, in addition to cross-dressing, are the purview of Faerunian Elves, who do it out of excessive androgyny.

Hobloggers merely sleep all night, work all day, chop down trees, haul them away, and have buttered scones. (Though they drink copious amounts of honey mead with them instead of tea, which many attribute to contributing to their excessive tree chopping and hauling.)

User avatar
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: "The Good Life"

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:40 am

Samwise wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:What would you expect from those cross-dressing humanoids? At least their not cannibals like the gnolls in the RAF (Rary's Attack Force).
Hobloggers do not cross-dress!

That is limited to Mystaran Hin pirates who do it out of a woeful lack of fashion sense.

Neither do they skip, jump (except to leap to safety to avoid a falling tree), or press wildflowers.
Those, in addition to cross-dressing, are the purview of Faerunian Elves, who do it out of excessive androgyny.

Hobloggers merely sleep all night, work all day, chop down trees, haul them away, and have buttered scones. (Though they drink copious amounts of honey mead with them instead of tea, which many attribute to contributing to their excessive tree chopping and hauling.)
I never wanted to be hair-dresser anyways.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

mortellan
Troll
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:08 pm
Gender: male
Location: Ullinois
Contact:

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by mortellan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:02 am


User avatar
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: "The Good Life"

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:54 pm

mortellan wrote:http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/ ... ip233a.htm

Warning: Reading ahead!
Awesome read! I was dismayed to learn that I didn't know all of those terms, but I knew some that go back to the earliest novel about the World of Greyhawk. ;)

Ironically, I had a PC named Dashon 20 odd years ago, and I currently have an NPC MU named Master Rhopan! :lol:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23407
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:08 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:Awesome read! I was dismayed to learn that I didn't know all of those terms, but I knew some that go back to the earliest novel about the World of Greyhawk. ;)
I didn't know a lot of those terms. :oops: This was very educational, but my brain hurts now and I'll be looking forward to the next tribble-pun! :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

mortellan
Troll
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:08 pm
Gender: male
Location: Ullinois
Contact:

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by mortellan » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:54 am

Dread Delgath wrote:Awesome read! I was dismayed to learn that I didn't know all of those terms, but I knew some that go back to the earliest novel about the World of Greyhawk. ;)

Ironically, I had a PC named Dashon 20 odd years ago, and I currently have an NPC MU named Master Rhopan! :lol:
That is quirky...

Glad you were stumped! That way you get an education out of it ;)

mortellan
Troll
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:08 pm
Gender: male
Location: Ullinois
Contact:

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by mortellan » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:57 am

Big Mac wrote:I didn't know a lot of those terms. :oops: This was very educational, but my brain hurts now and I'll be looking forward to the next tribble-pun! :)
Many of the terms I used came from the base WoG box set and the 1E DMG. Gygax loved his esoteric words. I too am looking for some less brain-smashing jokes to use soon. Glad you enjoyed.

User avatar
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: "The Good Life"

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:49 am

mortellan wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I didn't know a lot of those terms. :oops: This was very educational, but my brain hurts now and I'll be looking forward to the next tribble-pun! :)
Many of the terms I used came from the base WoG box set and the 1E DMG. Gygax loved his esoteric words. I too am looking for some less brain-smashing jokes to use soon. Glad you enjoyed.
You should read Andre Norton's "Quag Keep" for more Ferrond goodness... :mrgreen:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23407
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:47 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
mortellan wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I didn't know a lot of those terms. :oops: This was very educational, but my brain hurts now and I'll be looking forward to the next tribble-pun! :)
Many of the terms I used came from the base WoG box set and the 1E DMG. Gygax loved his esoteric words. I too am looking for some less brain-smashing jokes to use soon. Glad you enjoyed.
You should read Andre Norton's "Quag Keep" for more Ferrond goodness... :mrgreen:
Quag Keep? Interesting. That seems to be a D&D novel that is not by TSR. I had never heard of that before.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

mortellan
Troll
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:08 pm
Gender: male
Location: Ullinois
Contact:

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by mortellan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:25 am

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/ ... ip234a.htm

This week, a game! Follow the directions. Feel free to post in this thread or email/PM me to keep your brilliant ideas a surprise from the others. ;)

User avatar
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: "The Good Life"

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:29 am

Big Mac wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:
mortellan wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I didn't know a lot of those terms. :oops: This was very educational, but my brain hurts now and I'll be looking forward to the next tribble-pun! :)
Many of the terms I used came from the base WoG box set and the 1E DMG. Gygax loved his esoteric words. I too am looking for some less brain-smashing jokes to use soon. Glad you enjoyed.
You should read Andre Norton's "Quag Keep" for more Ferrond goodness... :mrgreen:
Quag Keep? Interesting. That seems to be a D&D novel that is not by TSR. I had never heard of that before.
Here's a link to Andre Norton.org and a pic of the cover. I should say, the cover of the book that I have. There may be different covers out there. :ugeek:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23407
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:28 pm

mortellan wrote:http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/ ... ip234a.htm

This week, a game! Follow the directions. Feel free to post in this thread or email/PM me to keep your brilliant ideas a surprise from the others. ;)
OK. I'm playing this with Google-fu:
Norebo: Hey, look! There is a map in here!
Olidammara: Hmm, Rainbow Rock, isn't that near Hommlet?
Rudd: Hang on guys. Something is wrong. I thought we agreeed to play Lawful Neutral this time. Shouldn't we be meeting the Lord Mayor of Greyhawk round about now?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: "The Good Life"

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:05 pm

Big Mac wrote:
mortellan wrote:http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/ ... ip234a.htm

This week, a game! Follow the directions. Feel free to post in this thread or email/PM me to keep your brilliant ideas a surprise from the others. ;)
OK. I'm playing this with Google-fu:
Norebo: Hey, look! There is a map in here!
Olidammara: Hmm, Rainbow Rock, isn't that near Hommlet?
Rudd: Hang on guys. Something is wrong. I thought we agreeed to play Lawful Neutral this time. Shouldn't we be meeting the Lord Mayor of Greyhawk round about now?
LOL! I bring nothing to the table. :mrgreen:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23407
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:47 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:LOL! I bring nothing to the table. :mrgreen:
You have got to at least try to beat me. If nobody else beats me (and I win) I'll have to spend hours and hours hunting around for the most obscure Spelljammer character from Greyspace that I can ask mortellan to draw for me! :twisted: I might even end up being forced to put up a page on the Spelljammer Wiki! :o :lol:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: "The Good Life"

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:40 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:LOL! I bring nothing to the table. :mrgreen:
You have got to at least try to beat me. If nobody else beats me (and I win) I'll have to spend hours and hours hunting around for the most obscure Spelljammer character from Greyspace that I can ask mortellan to draw for me! :twisted: I might even end up being forced to put up a page on the Spelljammer Wiki! :o :lol:
I would if I had it in me, but I just don't. :(
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Samwise
Bugbear
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:11 am
Gender: male

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by Samwise » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:40 pm

"Treasure Table X, roll of 00: Deck of Many Portraits of Wee Jas by Julie Bell"

(For those not immediately familiar with her work, the effects obviously shown are Rudd blushing furiously, Olidammara gasping in shock, and Norebo fighting to keep from drooling as he reaches into the chest to claim the object of their long and arduous quest.)

mortellan
Troll
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:08 pm
Gender: male
Location: Ullinois
Contact:

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by mortellan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:03 pm

Good posts fellas, keep em coming.

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/ ... ip235a.htm

In the meantime, check out what I've been up to! ;)

User avatar
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: "The Good Life"

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:49 am

That looks great, Morty!

Now that I'm "free" again, (separated from the wife... :evil: ) I have an apartment all to myself, and nothing but my computer lab suite, shelves & shelves of RPGs, and a wifty desk or two to work on minis again.

I truly can't say if I still have the time to work on all the things I want to, but if I did, painting my miniature collection is in the top 10. :mrgreen:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23407
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:19 pm

mortellan wrote:Good posts fellas, keep em coming.

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/ ... ip235a.htm

In the meantime, check out what I've been up to! ;)
Hmm. This reminds me of a cartoon strip in a UK newspaper (about a footballer) that suddenly went 3D one day.

I love this touch: "...the spiral of Tharizdun is hand drawn with the same .01 ink pen I use to letter my comics..." How more authentic a replica can you get than one that uses the same ink.

This does look like a lot of work. A friend of mine sent me a link about "Star Wars Felt Finger Puppets". If you intend to make a full set of gods, then that might be the fastest technique! :lol:

...I bet that "cut it out yourself" designs, would be very similar to Maldin spelljamming ships. :ugeek:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

mortellan
Troll
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:08 pm
Gender: male
Location: Ullinois
Contact:

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by mortellan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:35 am

Felt finger puppets and Maldin SJ cut out ships...hmmmmmmmm I like! ;)

Post Reply

Return to “Greyhawk”