Greyhawk Webcomic

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

chatdemon
Hobgoblin

Re: Greyhawk Webcomic

Post by chatdemon » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:32 am

mortellan wrote:http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/ ... 3intro.htm

Happy Needfest Greyfans! And surprise! hey to Chatdemon too, this year's Needfest Comic happens to be a dedication to him and his favorite deity.
Woot.

And bralm too!

Fruztii the snowman made me spew eggnog on the monitor :lol:

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:13 am

I love the eggnog spray. It makes the comic more worthwile :lol: However I can't claim all the kudos this time, darnit, apparently Fruztii was subconsciously lifted by me from our grey-colleague Sam Weiss in a chat from way back when. That works, nothing new. He's been picked for ideas before. :roll:

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:15 am

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:31 am

Yeah, I thought it was that funny! That did remind me of a good New Year's resolution that I really should resolve: to finish the 10 books that I started LAST year.

Thanks, Morty! Happy New Year!
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:32 pm

Wow! This one really went on for ever...

...but the punchline (and the epilogue) were well worth the wait. :lol:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:07 am

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:21 pm

Brillaint. I love "Gods in Spaaaaace!"!

The text at the bottom (about alternative Oerths) was very interesting and made me wish I had seen the conversation at Greytalk.

From a Spelljammer point of view, these "alternative Oerths" would imply "alternative Greyspaces". As the City of Greyhawk might not be so important to the gods in all of these alternative Oerths some of these alternate crystal spheres might be named after the central planet (i.e. "Uerthspace") or even another city on that planet (or one of the other planets). I would assume that the other planets of Greyspace would also have modified names in the alternate versions (i.e. "Udill" instead of "Edill").

The normal Oerth is defined by Spelljammer to be a "groundling world", but on some of the alternate Oerths, Spelljamming might be something that has been embraced and individual alternate Oerths could easily be part of some sort of spacefaring empire. Alternatively, Scro forces might have joined up with native orcs and goblinoids and there could be some planets where these "unhumans" are in control of the alternate Oerth. Unless Gary G restricted the number of alternate Oerths, the possibilities would be endless. :o :D

I have seen a MWP Dragonlance RPG book that has an entire chapter about "alternate Krynns" (Legends of the Twins - Chapter 4), so this concept is not something restricted to Greyhawk. I'm not sure how useful that book would be to Greyhawk fans, but someone who was a fan of both settings could probably draw inspiration from that chapter (and the time travel stuff) without worrying that the rest of the book was less useful to them.

Dragonlance seems to do a single timeline thing (where you can* change Krynn by going back in time, but that destroys "your" version of the world). This alternate Oerths concept seems to be a bit more like the Science Fiction TV show: Sliders. I get the impression that travel between alternate Oerths would be rather similar to Planewalking (but without a bunch of planes that have funky laws of nature). I can imagine a "Oerthscape" campaign where some sort of "doorway location" or "reality hopping magic" allows people to visit alternative versions of the places they know and love.

* = Actually some sort of law of nature stops most races from changing time and only races created after that time (kender, gnomes and perhaps dwarves) are able to change the past on Krynn. I wonder if a character from another crystal sphere (like Greyspace) would also be immune to the restrictions on changing the past.

As someone who likes Spelljammer and the ability to jump from one campaign setting to another, I wonder how this would all fit into "the multiverse". Would alternative Oerths actually be located on the same material plane (but placed far away on distant crystal spheres floating far across the Phlogiston? Or would alternative Oerths each have their own multiverse (as well as their own crystal sphere)?

I would be tempted to spin out an entirely new multiverse (inferred from the individual Oerths) and try to create alternate Krynns (and alternate Krynnspaces) and alternate Torils (and alternate Realmspaces) that fit in with the concept that GH has set up. And I would be tempted to make Greyspace the only place where people can "break through the reality barrier" and therefore the centre of any world spanning campaign.

But that is a "big" concept. I look forward to seeing how Gods in Spaaaaace! will tackle this on a "smaller" scale.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:43 am

Well I'll try my best to solve the mysteries of alternate Oerths. Off the cuff I'd say they have to be totally self contained multiverses in their own right. This is definitely true if deities have alter-selves too. If deities operate across all Primes with their standard allotment of avatars(in various guises) then maybe not.

Good post from the SJ p.o.v. :)

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:49 am

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:39 am

mortellan wrote:http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/ ... ip206a.htm

And now its time for...CATACLYSM! :twisted:
Hells yeah! Can't wayte for the next payj! Image
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:38 am

mortellan wrote:Well I'll try my best to solve the mysteries of alternate Oerths. Off the cuff I'd say they have to be totally self contained multiverses in their own right. This is definitely true if deities have alter-selves too. If deities operate across all Primes with their standard allotment of avatars(in various guises) then maybe not.
I think this is a really interesting aspect of Greyhawk* I think it is real shame that Gary G was pushed out before this idea could be turned into some sort of RPG sourcebook.

* = But then as someone who likes the connectivity provided by Spelljammer or Planescape, it isn't suprising that I would be interested in a multiple Greyhawk campaign option.
mortellan wrote:Good post from the SJ p.o.v. :)
Thanks.

Mind you, I'm just forward planning for the day when the GH community create some netbooks for the alternative Oerths! :twisted:
mortellan wrote:http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/ ... ip206a.htm

And now its time for...CATACLYSM! :twisted:
I love the Cultists. They always make me laugh and I find the fact that you never see their faces very amusing. But then I always liked that about Judge Dredd (and was a bit disapointed that Silverster Stallone dumped the iconic helmet).

I wonder if you could find any of the Judge Dredd stories where people were trying to see what Dredd looked like under his helmet and use them for GH Webcomic stories where we nearly see what your cultists look like. :lol:
Dread Delgath wrote:Hells yeah! Can't wayte for the next payj!
Are you sure that you don't just like these guys because they dress the same as your avatar? :lol:

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:13 am

Big Mac wrote: I love the Cultists. They always make me laugh and I find the fact that you never see their faces very amusing. But then I always liked that about Judge Dredd (and was a bit disapointed that Silverster Stallone dumped the iconic helmet).

I wonder if you could find any of the Judge Dredd stories where people were trying to see what Dredd looked like under his helmet and use them for GH Webcomic stories where we nearly see what your cultists look like. :lol:
I have been slowly dripping clues to their identity for a future time that I might reveal who they are, so a glimpse under the hood however small might be an instant-giveaway in comparison. You'll have to settle for more subtle clues until then(including one in this week's comic). ;)

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:23 pm

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:59 am

The Spelljammer boss! :lol:

I'm sad that we never got to see a third round of Ricardo Montalban vs William Shatner. He was so good at being bad.

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:36 am

Awesome clips. I haven't seen Fantasy Island in ages. That episode had ol Bill Bixby in it too, talk about dated! The Khan fight was classic too. Anyone who can ball up a phaser with his bare hands is bad ass.

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:32 am

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:59 am

mortellan wrote:Damn those goblins!
Hmm. Their song sounds strangly familiar.

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:43 am

Well it was either Pathfinder's goblin song or that one song by David Bowie from Labyrinth. :shock:

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:54 pm

The goblins look familiar too. Anyone play a highly distorted version of Magic: The Gathering? :twisted:

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:48 pm

mortellan wrote:Well it was either Pathfinder's goblin song or that one song by David Bowie from Labyrinth. :shock:
Haha! Love that movie! I even have in on DVD.
Dread Delgath wrote:The goblins look familiar too.
There is a member here on The Piazza that has the one goblin with its mouth open as his avatar.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:43 pm

Hugin wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:The goblins look familiar too.
There is a member here on The Piazza that has the one goblin with its mouth open as his avatar.
Hmm. Piazza members having cameo roles in Greyhawk webcomic?

Next you will be telling me that the cultists will open that dodgy book of theirs and counjur up a mind flayer! :P

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:06 am

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/ ... ip209a.htm

Me and this book have been through alot!

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:00 am

mortellan wrote:http://www.greyhawkonline.com/wogcomic/ ... ip209a.htm

Me and this book have been through alot!
Many mornings of mayhem after imbibing mint mohitos that mimic mango mimosas or mango margaritas?

...and I thought my books were in bad shape! My 1983 WoG books still have their covers, but alas; my 1981 Folio cover has been ripped asunder for many, many moons. :cry:

mortellan
Troll

Post by mortellan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:22 am

lol! that was a perfectly pronounced paralance of potental potables. yeah my WoG Folio is kept shelved, I dropped it once and about crapped myself. i treat it like a museum piece compared to my actual game used stuff.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:18 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:...and I thought my books were in bad shape! My 1983 WoG books still have their covers, but alas; my 1981 Folio cover has been ripped asunder for many, many moons. :cry:
I've narrowly avoided stomping on two AD&D 2nd edition boxed sets (one was Taladas: Time of the Dragon and the other was The Astromundi Cluster).

I think if I accidentally trashed my old out of print D&D stuff, I'd have to take six months of yoga lessons so that I could give myself a good kick up the bum! :P

I can see some of this old D&D stuff eventually going at auction stupidly high money. I don't think 4th edition stuff will ever go for silly money (because everyone knows about D&D now). It will probably be some obscure D&D product that nobody liked, when it first came out. Something that never got reprinted.

Return to “Greyhawk”