Greyhawk Online/OerthJournal in danger of shutting down!

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Greyhawk Online/OerthJournal in danger of shutting down!

Post by Dragonhelm »

Folks, check out this thread: Greyhawk Online Closing

We have a pretty vibrant Greyhawk community here, and I am hoping folks can help. There's a donate button on GreyhawkOnline.com
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
-David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Greyhawk Online/OerthJournal in danger of shutting down!

Post by Havard »

That would be a terrible loss. :(

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

chatdemon
Hobgoblin

Post by chatdemon »

Time to air a dirty little secret.

I offered to fund canonfire and gho hosting in the past. My offer was declined because of the behind the scenes politics there that Cebrion will surely show up and argue don't exist. Then this post will be deleted by moderators here who don't know jack or shit about canonfire.

I also offered to purchase canonfire outright, for a fairly substantial sum, and part of that offer involved collecting some of the affiliated sites that needed hosting onto centralized servers.

Now, none of this ever directly involved Issak or GHO, but since he's always backed CF's plays, and the powers that be at CF have refused past offers of help from me because it would obviously involve giving me administrative access again.

So, in a nutshell

Screw it, let it die, enough of us have the material that it will be around again at some point.

I wish Issak and his family the best, but when a website becomes a burden, it's time to let it go.

We can't all be enworld and prey on the pathetic addiction of generous losers to fund our failed business model over and over and over and over.

User has been banned for 7 days, for calling out the mods. Additionally, bringing up grudge matches from across other threads (especially after being warned for this in the past), boards, or even other websites is not acceptable.

Cebrion
Hobgoblin

Post by Cebrion »

chatdemon wrote:Time to air a dirty little secret.

I offered to fund canonfire and gho hosting in the past. My offer was declined because of the behind the scenes politics there that Cebrion will surely show up and argue don't exist.
This is all true so far as I know, though I have a vague memory that it was an offer to outright buy Canonfire!. Perhaps that is not correct. I don't really know one way or the other as the behind the scenes politics had nothing to do with me, I was not involved with any of it, and at any rate none of it was my decision to make in the first place. Those who made the decisions did so for their own reasons. Posts like this one(and others) might give everyone a clue as to why those decisions were made. They certainly weren't made because chatdemon was not a capable administrator. Also, I was informed of those decisions after the fact. There is no Machiavellian back story here so far as it regards myself at least. I'm just a volunteer worker bee.

We surely don't agree on everything, but admittedly chatdemon has been very helpful to me on a number of occasions. If anything, after my time helping out at Canonfire!, I have more respect for chatdemons's(and other's) behind the scenes contributions to the site. I just don't have any respect for spewing bile is all, as it is counter to the whole purpose of having sites like The Piazza, Canonfire! and other fan sites- doing something enjoyable in your spare time. There is no such thing as too much Bob Ross warm fuzziness, and everybody, including myself, could use more of it. You know, happy little trees and fluffy little clouds...but in Greyhawk. ;)

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm »

FYI, I just got word today that GHO has found a new host and has costs covered for another two years.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
-David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Dragonhelm wrote:FYI, I just got word today that GHO has found a new host and has costs covered for another two years.
Woot! :cool:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Post by Princess Strega »

Dragonhelm wrote:FYI, I just got word today that GHO has found a new host and has costs covered for another two years.
Good to hear. Gives me more than enough time to back up everything.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal »

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Quite good to hear! Please get it all backed up TAD.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Post by Princess Strega »

Azaghal wrote:
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Quite good to hear! Please get it all backed up TAD.
I've got too many projects. I'll get back to it when I burned out on other things.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal »

OerthJournal is saved and back in business.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Return to “Greyhawk”