It's Official the Oerth Journal is back

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

It's Official the Oerth Journal is back

Postby Argon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:40 pm

The Oerth Journal is back and looking for submissions! New leadership and a new staff means we are hungry for material (literally - we don’t feed our editorial xvarts unless they work!).

What is the Oerth Journal and what are we looking for?

The Oerth Journal is a long-running and distinguished online periodical first published in 1995. Devoted to the World of Greyhawk Campaign Setting, the Oerth Journal explores facets of Greyhawk untouched by “official” development, from the mundane to the macabre, including adventures, gazetteers, esoterica, and “alternate” Greyhawks, as well as NPCs, deities, adventure sites, and simple lore.

The Oerth Journal is always looking for submissions for our regular departments and features: Denizens of the Flanaess; Of Oerth and Altar; Rogues Gallery; Tales from the Green Dragon Inn; and With Boccob’s Blessing, among others. (Summaries of all the regular features can be found in the guidelines document.) These features give many authors an easy “entry point”, but we welcome articles of any nature related to the World of Greyhawk. We also accept any rules edition or game system, including (but not limited to!) Basic D&D, OSR systems, AD&D, 3e, 4e, and Pathfinder. In addition, we welcome fantasy art and Greyhawk fan-fiction submissions!

All inquiries and proposals can be emailed to oerthjournal@gmail.com , and will be answered promptly. Submission guidelines are available at http://www.canonfire.com/cfhtml/modules ... eA&show=10 - scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “The Oerth Journal Submission Guidelines and Templates” to open or download the document.

Authorship and Plagiarism

Determining true authorship over the internet in the era of e-mail, mailing lists, and "cut-n'-paste" is effectively impossible for The Oerth Journal. As such, we rely upon the honor system - that the person submitting the article is either the author or has the consent of the author. If the article draws heavily upon or quotes material from another source (be it an official Wizards of the Coast product, a Dragon magazine article, an online file, a popular fiction book, or whatever), we expect the source and author (if known and applicable) to be listed as a source. If an article is found to be blatantly plagiarized from another source, it will be rejected and we will not accept further submissions from that person. Articles that update earlier material are considered separately.

Ownership Rights & Regulations

Dungeons & Dragons, AD&D, Dragon Magazine, Greyhawk, and the World Of Greyhawk are registered trademarks owned by Wizards of the Coast/ Hasbro. All characters, character names, and the distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks owned by Wizards of the Coast, Inc. Unless otherwise noted, all individual contributions are copyright their respective authors.

Origins of The Oerth Journal

The Oerth Journal has gone through many incarnations but began from tender roots with the Council of Greyhawk, an informal organization of gamers dedicated to keeping the World of Greyhawk a viable campaign world. At present, the Council has expanded to include many fans that now meet online at Canonfire! to discuss matters of the actual campaign world. The site also maintains the Greytalk mailing list.
Argon
Goblin

Re: It's Official the Oerth Journal is back

Postby Havard » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:03 am

Great news! Thanks for coming here to post about it Argon! Welcome to the Piazza :)

BTW, I wrote a small piece on the Journal here:

http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/20 ... urnal.html

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Argon » Sat May 07, 2011 5:25 am

Thanks for the welcome Harvard,

Was hoping to have more Greyhawk fans respond from the piazza. I know your out there post here any questions can be directed here or by emailing us at oerthjournal@gmail.com
Argon
Goblin

Postby Havard » Mon May 09, 2011 1:31 pm

The Greyhawk community here is still quite small, but growing. Some here are experts, who also parttake in discussions at Canonfire, Dragonsfoot etc, while others, like myself, are fairly new to Greyhawk, but interested in learning more.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Argon » Thu May 12, 2011 3:23 am

Havard,

That is a really nice Blackmoor site. I really like the design of the site as well. Is that all your doing or did someone else help you design it. It Doesn't look like a fan site its has a professional appeal to it. Notice you like Mystara as well. Not really my cup of tea but I know quite a few fans of Mystara and Greyhawk settings that have used the two interchangeably. We all Know Blackmoor fits as Greyhawk has it set up as an arch-barony.

I might have to invade ummm.... :twisted: Peruse some of your files :D soon.
Argon
Goblin

Postby Havard » Thu May 12, 2011 6:29 am

Argon wrote:Havard,

That is a really nice Blackmoor site. I really like the design of the site as well. Is that all your doing or did someone else help you design it. It Doesn't look like a fan site its has a professional appeal to it.

Thanks! I do love getting feedback on the site. The main site design is all mine. Most of the articles are also written by me, but credit is given where I have used material by others. With the forum, I have had help from a couple of other people, mainly Angelo/Copperblade. The forum is administrated by Angelo, Rafael, Greg Svenson (Arneson's player) and myself and a few others are also helping out :)

Notice you like Mystara as well. Not really my cup of tea but I know quite a few fans of Mystara and Greyhawk settings that have used the two interchangeably. We all Know Blackmoor fits as Greyhawk has it set up as an arch-barony.

I love Mystara, it was the setting I started out with, and how I "discovered" Blackmoor. However, I would like my website and forum to be a resource for all fans of Blackmoor, whether you come from a background of Mystara, Greyhawk, the Wilderlands, or simply prefer to run Blackmoor on its own. If you have more ideas to adapt some of my material to a more Greyhawk friendly environment, I would be very interested in that.

I might have to invade ummm.... :twisted: Peruse some of your files :D soon.

Cool, looking forward to seeing what you can do with them :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Fri May 20, 2011 1:46 am

Argon wrote:Thanks for the welcome Harvard,

Was hoping to have more Greyhawk fans respond from the piazza. I know your out there post here any questions can be directed here or by emailing us at oerthjournal@gmail.com

Welcome to The Piazza, Argon.

I'm not sure how I managed to miss this thread, but I've long been impressed by the work that Oerth Journal is trying to do to keep Greyhawk alive.

I think that every campaign setting needs its own fan magazine. I would love to see Oerth Journal and a number of other fan magazines devoted to other campaign settings slugging it out for next year's ENnie Awards.

I'm still learning about Greyhawk. I'm not sure if I'll be contributing anything in the near future, but I do have two big reasons for being interested in Greyhawk.

Firstly, I'm primarily a Spelljammer fan and see Greyhawk (like Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms) as one of the three pillars that supports my favourite setting. (And I also see Planescape as picking up the torch, where Spelljammer left off and fitting in with the Great Wheel Cosmology of Greyhawk.) So anything that supports GH is good in my books. And anything that improves my Greyhawk-fu is good for me.

Secondly, I'm primarily interested in playing with the 3rd edition rules and find the Greyhawk-lite to be unsatisfying. I want to play in "proper" campaign settings, like I did back in my 2nd edition days. So anything that can take the generic elements from core rulebooks like Dungeonscape or Lords of Madness and give them a "proper" backstory that ties in with specific organisations and/or locations on Oerth is something I'd love to see.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Greyhawk