Were other Rokugan settings included in d20 releases?

A land of breathtaking beauty, where eight clans of powerful samurai warriors struggle against one another in constant war for supremacy. Discuss the Legend of the Five Rings campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
thorr-kan
Troll

Were other Rokugan settings included in d20 releases?

Post by thorr-kan »

Ivory Kingdoms and Burning Sands sound interesting, based on their wiki entries. Were they ever released under d20, or only under the Legends of the Five Rings RPGs?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Were other Rokugan settings included in d20 releases?

Post by Big Mac »

thorr-kan wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:37 pm
Ivory Kingdoms and Burning Sands sound interesting, based on their wiki entries. Were they ever released under d20, or only under the Legends of the Five Rings RPGs?
I've been trying to find this out myself, so I'll be interested to see what you can turn up.

The Rokugun term for people from outside Rokugun is gaijin and the Legend of the Five Rings article for Gaijin gives some detail on how gaijin have interacted with Rokugan. There is also a list of notable gaijin. If there are any statblocks for those gaijin in the Oriental Adventures products for Rokugan, that might allow us to reverse-engineer the stats and "unlock" options for character classes or races. :)

The Complete Exotic Arms Guide is one of those duel-stat (L5R/d20 System) books (I think that there are only two books in the Oriental Adventures product line that only include 3rd Edition D&D stat). Chapter 5 of that book is called Gaijin Weapons and has sections for The Senpet, The Ivory Kingdoms, The Yodotai, The Yobanjin and Merenae.

So there might be other books that contain information about gaijin (and enough information in different sources to work out how to use those lands).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Icarus
Troll

Post by Icarus »

thorr-kan wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:37 pm
... Were they ever released under d20, or only under the Legends of the Five Rings RPGs?
Yes, as a matter of fact, they were.
Well, they weren't d20, but, they weren't solely under the L5R RPGs, either.
It was it's own standalone RPG.

Much as L5R was originally a Collectible Card Game, Legend of the Burning Sands was a TCG, as well, for a brief time.
And there was a hardback RPG book based on the CCG which came out in 2007. I actually have a deck of the cards amidst all of my L5R cards, and the hardback somewhere in my collection of unused RPG books in a Sterilite/Rubbermaid storage box in my garage.

Here's a wiki entry describing the RPG book contents.
"And he did fly,... and he was seen on the wings of the wind."
My online Gallery of Artwork. Take a look at my illustrations!

Bugbear

Post by 1970 »

The only other related AEG game translated to the d20 System that I know of was Swashbuckling Adventures, which was based on 7th Sea. The first few books were d20 only, while later ones were dual stated like the L5R books were.

The Legend of the Burning Sands was released during L5R's Third Edition and used its rules.

The Ivory Kingdom was mostly touched on at the end of the L5R CCG line. It made its way into a pretty spectacular RPG Box Set for the Fourth Edition rules called the Second City and an entry in one of the Imperial Histories books.

...and that's pretty much all I got. Hope it helps a little.
Formless Faceless and Free

Return to “Rokugan”