Anyone Play Fifth Edition?

A land of breathtaking beauty, where eight clans of powerful samurai warriors struggle against one another in constant war for supremacy. Discuss the Legend of the Five Rings campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Bugbear

Anyone Play Fifth Edition?

Post by 1970 »

I've heard that Fifth Edition pretty much dropped most if not all of the established storyline and started fresh. Is this true? I'm considering buying in since I have some game store credit laying around, but am kind of hesitant. Has anyone played or read through the 5E material and could summarize it for me? I know about the funky dice and am not too concerned about them, but everything else is a mystery. The other editions besides First are too involved sometimes for my tastes (and honestly I didn't like some of the ways the story played out and would like to omit them), so I'm looking to start over, but the First Edition rules show their age compared to say, Third and Fourth. I could backward engineer the story and mechanics to my liking, but it seems more trouble than it's worth sometimes.

I'd appreciate any guidance you have. Thanks.
Formless Faceless and Free

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Anyone Play Fifth Edition?

Post by Big Mac »

I don't have any of the books, but I posted a What do we know about the Fantasy Flight Games Rokugan reboot? topic, that might answer some of your questions.

I was more interested in the setting material than the mechanics, so it's a slightly different question from what you asked.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Bugbear

Post by 1970 »

That was pretty interesting, thanks! This New L5R really sounds like a breath of fresh air lore-wise. I've been immersed in the plot of L5R for so long that it got a little stagnant to me, which is why I prefer to play during the Prelude to the Scorpion Clan Coup, so I can make the story more of my own. The simple act of making Doji Hoturi female throws the Hoturi, Kachiko, Shoju, Aramoro, Asami, Dairyu, and that Fox Clan woman who's name I can't remember soap opera totally askew. I don't know how it plays out anymore, and honestly it's kind of cool. If I can find the right books in the right places I think I'll go for it.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, the tenth or so wheel in this relationship tree was Horiuchi Shoan, who had a crush on Hoturi that went no where except for her to eventually die unmarried.

Count Thalim
Hobgoblin

Post by Count Thalim »

I am currently playing in a 5th Ed L5R game and have been playing on and off from 3rd ed.

It is not a complete refresh, but they have brought it right back to 1123. The Mantis aren't a major clan yet for example.

The books they have released haven't moved the setting forward too much so far. They have mostly been around building up the setting at the current time in very nice detail.
Emerald Empire for example has 6 chapters on everything from cities and fortresses to the wilderness going via villages and temples as it does so.

It doesn't have quite the epic sweep of some of the earlier editions with epoch changing battles and clans rising & falling but it makes for a more immersive game where you aren't as constrained.
"Per Sanguinis, Ad Astra"

Bugbear

Post by 1970 »

Sounds like the setting used for First Edition, which is when I first started and happens to be my favorite ea of play. I'd go ahead and happily play First except I feel a little bad about it considering the improvements AEG was able to make between Third and Fourth Editions. What I need is a fresh start with improved mechanics, which is what I'm hoping Fifth Edition will give me without too much trouble. Thanks for your reply and insight!

talsine
Priest of Syrinx

Post by talsine »

I am actively playing a 5E game and i love it. It's pretty much my favorite iteration of the game to date, and the best version of FFG's funny dice. If i could only get some of my old L5R players to try it out, but they don't want to have to deal with the dice and the setting reset. They also don't like some of the character changes, like Hoturi being a woman

Return to “Rokugan”