[Rokugan] Burning Sands?

A land of breathtaking beauty, where eight clans of powerful samurai warriors struggle against one another in constant war for supremacy. Discuss the Legend of the Five Rings campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
willpell
Black Dragon

[Rokugan] Burning Sands?

Post by willpell »

Anyone remember this? My fondness for it has endured far better than for the vastly more popular franchise it spun out of - not only because I like Arabian motifs better than samurai and ninjas, but also because of the diversity of the factions it referenced, from Egypt to Mongolia to India to Rome, to say nothing of the extremely creative Ashalans and Khadi, which I still think deserve to be standard fantasy tropes a lot more than half of what's codified into D&D. If someone besides me still has fond memories of Aliqet-Ra, the Jewel of the Desert, City of a Thousand Stories, and various other names I've temporarily forgotten (presumably so that the Qabal, Qolat, or the Old Man on the Mountain couldn't steal them from my mind...unless....), then let's reminisce and debate the possibility of statting up some Djinni.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Rokugan] Burning Sands?

Post by Big Mac »

There are already a couple of other topics about Legend of the Burning Sands on The Piazza, where we discussed this subsetting:

The Anyone got Legend of the Burning Sands? topic (in the Al-Qadim forum) looked into raiding ideas from Burning Sands to add to an Al-Qadim game.

The [Rokugan] Did you know that Lot5R had a subsetting? topic is a discussion about how Legend of the Burning Sands fits in with Legend of the Five Rings.

If there is ever enough interest in Rokugan to earn it a bespoke forum at The Piazza, the LotBS topics would go into the same forum.

I'd love to talk about the setting, but I have not gotten around to buying the book yet. (I might go check my Amazon wishlists soon. Maybe if I snag a copy, I can be more useful in a discussion.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

In this threadwe are also talking about how to use the Burning Sands area as part of Theah from the Swashbucking Adventures 3E Sourcebook and the 7th Sea RPG, which may or may not be on the same planet as Rokugan.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell »

Havard wrote:In this threadwe are also talking about how to use the Burning Sands area as part of Theah from the Swashbucking Adventures 3E Sourcebook and the 7th Sea RPG, which may or may not be on the same planet as Rokugan.

-Havard
It pretty definitely isn't. We've seen at least a few of the "European" characters who have made the trek to Rokugan (the best-known being Alhundro Cornejo, the explosives merchant), and they do not seem to have any of the distinctive marks of the specific nations of Theah.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

willpell wrote:
Havard wrote:In this threadwe are also talking about how to use the Burning Sands area as part of Theah from the Swashbucking Adventures 3E Sourcebook and the 7th Sea RPG, which may or may not be on the same planet as Rokugan.
It pretty definitely isn't. We've seen at least a few of the "European" characters who have made the trek to Rokugan (the best-known being Alhundro Cornejo, the explosives merchant), and they do not seem to have any of the distinctive marks of the specific nations of Theah.

Officially what you are saying is correct. However back when AEG launched L5R and 7th Sea they teased this possibility and current owners of Legend of the Five Rings, Fantasy Flight Games, appear to continue to tease connections. However, the fact that the two properties are now owned by separate companies makes it even less likely to see crossover products even if the designers wanted to do so. Personally I think the settings still lend themselves very well to be combined by fans though, even though the two RPGs themselves have very different atmospheres (cinematic swasbuckling vs brutal Samurai action). Anyway, that topic is being explored in more detail in the thread I linked above.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Rokugan”