[TORG] Who has played?

"The storm has a name..." Discuss both TORG and TORG Eternity here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[TORG] Who has played?

Post by Havard »

I just realized we only have a few threads here on The Piazza about TORG, yet I know there are several TORG fans here. I am talking about the revolutionary multi-genre RPG from West End Games back in the 1990s.

So how many of you have played? What type of characters were involved? and What Cosms?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [TORG] Who has played?

Post by Havard »

Am I still the only one who has played TORG? I am pretty sure there are a few others here at The Piazza who have tried this game.

I have now also gotten to try TORG Eternity and it looks like we'll be getting a follow-up session with that GM later this month. So much fun! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Always been intrigued by the setting but never played. Do you know Rifts too? If I understand correctly in Torg the current Earth has not been wiped out everywhere but just in some regions, while in Rifts almost nothing is left of the old world? There was somewhere a thread comparing the two rpgs? They have a similar premise of Earth being invaded by other realities but I suppose the outcomes are different.
If I read correctly basically Torg has Northern Europe becomed a fantasy setting, Russia a demon infested land, France and part of Europe a Cyberpapacy, Part of America a dinosaurs and lizardmen land, Egypt and Africa a neopharaonic kingdom, India a undead land, Russia a demonic regime and China/Japan have a vampire epidemic. Where will you play?
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Sturm wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:47 pm
Always been intrigued by the setting but never played. Do you know Rifts too? If I understand correctly in Torg the current Earth has not been wiped out everywhere but just in some regions, while in Rifts almost nothing is left of the old world? There was somewhere a thread comparing the two rpgs?
You have a good memory! This thread does bring up the comparison with Rifts a bit. I am not an expert on Rifts, but in TORG, Earth (often called Core Earth) is in the middle of an invasion. In fact both editions of TORG allow you to play through the first days and months of the Invasion. It is also possible, at least in theory to turn the tides and drive the invaders back into their own Realities.

They have a similar premise of Earth being invaded by other realities but I suppose the outcomes are different.
If I read correctly basically Torg has Northern Europe becomed a fantasy setting, Russia a demon infested land, France and part of Europe a Cyberpapacy, Part of America a dinosaurs and lizardmen land, Egypt and Africa a neopharaonic kingdom, India a undead land, Russia a demonic regime and China/Japan have a vampire epidemic. Where will you play?
This is more or less correct, though a few changes have been made between the original version of TORG and the new TORG Eternity when it comes to the realms themselves and what parts have been invaded.

In both versions, the Russians managed to stop the techno-demon invasion (Tharkhold), although at a high cost.

In our current campaign (only one session so far), we played through the first couple of days of the invasion with normal core earth humans from Norway. It was a fascinating combination of the familiar and the fairly terrifying events as reality around us began to change in most violent ways.

You can play anywhere, although it is most interesting to play in the occupied lands and try to stop the invasions from expanding their territories. In our old campaigns we would often jump from country to country like in an Indiana Jones or James Bond movie.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Interesting, was Scandinavia developed in Torg products or did your DM came up with his own version?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Sturm wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:48 am
Interesting, was Scandinavia developed in Torg products or did your DM came up with his own version?
Scandinavia is covered and is part of the fantasy realm of Aysle in both versions of TORG. However, the DM elaborated quite a bit on what the official material covers. TORG Eternity's version of Aysle has most of the interesting stuff happen on the British Isles, which is no fun for us Scandinavian players :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Ok, so what trolls do you have there? cute trolls, monster trolls or traditional trolls? :)

Sir Alain Fisk
Hobgoblin

Post by Sir Alain Fisk »

I am presently running a group on Roll20/Discord, and I dare say we've been having a ton of fun. We decided to try out recording our sessions, but I'm having a bit of heartache with the editing process. If I get something straightened out with our group, I may post the outcome of our labor.

We do laugh a bunch in our group with the Day One Living Land adventure. It's been going for five weeks, though, with only three Acts to the adventure, which is a bit excessive, but I can't see speeding folks up just to get this adventure done.
When I was running Torg Eternity for my family in 2018, my youngest Son (18, then) had a Nile Empire Weird Scientist with a robot nicknamed Stompy. At the end of the last adventure we played before my Wife and I moved to Texas, he asked,

“Hey Dad, can Stompy have Stealth?” This is a 450-pound robot being made into a Weird Science helper, made almost of solid steel, and he wanted to add Stealth… we died the table-round at the prospect.

Kuildeous
Orc

Post by Kuildeous »

Sturm wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:01 am
Ok, so what trolls do you have there? cute trolls, monster trolls or traditional trolls? :)
They're more elemental.
Trolls are moving patches of rock and earth. They
tend to be solitary, large, and extremely territorial
when encountered in the wild. Trolls may be
influenced by Darkness or Light, depending on
the properties of the ground animated by magic.
And when they're defeated, they crumble into rubble.

Zackzenobi
Orc

Post by Zackzenobi »

We have played the first 2 acts of the Relics of Power Redux. It's a reboot of the Original Trilogy from the 90s. Loving it!

Sir Alain Fisk
Hobgoblin

Post by Sir Alain Fisk »

The original Relics of Power is, so far, my favorite campaign of any role-playing game ... of all time! Do you have a point of comparison between the old and new? If so, is the new Destiny Map better than the old, thus far?
When I was running Torg Eternity for my family in 2018, my youngest Son (18, then) had a Nile Empire Weird Scientist with a robot nicknamed Stompy. At the end of the last adventure we played before my Wife and I moved to Texas, he asked,

“Hey Dad, can Stompy have Stealth?” This is a 450-pound robot being made into a Weird Science helper, made almost of solid steel, and he wanted to add Stealth… we died the table-round at the prospect.

Kuildeous
Orc

Post by Kuildeous »

Sir Alain Fisk wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:26 pm
The original Relics of Power is, so far, my favorite campaign of any role-playing game ... of all time! Do you have a point of comparison between the old and new? If so, is the new Destiny Map better than the old, thus far?
The first two Acts are so completely different from the original that I’m not sure a point-by-point comparison can be made.

The first act does take place at a research facility, but you’re guided there immediately. The compound has more information in what you can do there. You get to see more about the research firsthand. There’s a bit of an Easter egg with one of the NPCs, though it’s not important for the PCs to discover (and only old-time players would recognize it anyway). Actually a couple of Easter eggs.

The second act makes use of the Law of Wonder, and it has a different feel than oTorg because of that wonder. The foray into the Living Land is done differently than oTorg.

The new Relics of Power is really written as its own beast rather than trying to map the original into Eternity. It follows the basic plotline, but it’s like comparing Strange Brew to Hamlet. Yes, the plot points are there, but it’s not trying to mimic the play.

Sir Alain Fisk
Hobgoblin

Post by Sir Alain Fisk »

That's truly helpful. That means I should be able to run the original, with modifications in creatures and effects, and then change the names in Redux and run that one, later. I'm not saying I will, as I'm looking at potentially having one or two one-shots, but I absolutely love the original for all it accomplished. I don't know what the ending in Redux will look like, for The Forever City portion, but I imagine it's not going to be anywhere close to what the original did.

Thanks for this. :D

TorgHacker
Orc

Post by TorgHacker »

Sir Alain Fisk wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:16 pm
Just give me the word and I'll help out!!! :D

So, while I have you here, the Relics of Power out, now, earned through the Kickstarters, that is, in effect, just the first of three major adventures, right? Also, is there a cover forthcoming for the RoP Redux?
Yes, there is a cover coming. However, the Relics of Power is essentially a super adventure that includes the scope of the original three adventures.

Think of it more like a reboot ala Star Trek 2009. But with less transwarp transporters.

And lens flares.
Torg Eternity Designer
Torg Eternity Community Manager
Ulisses Spiele

Dragon Turtle
Initiate

Post by Dragon Turtle »

Discussion of Akasha/Space Gods split into a separate thread here. It deserves its own topic :)

-Dragon Turtle
This is Havard's Alternate Account
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Junior admin at The Piazza. My moderator voice is
GREEN.

astraeus
Goblin

Post by astraeus »

I've played the original Torg with different groups over the years. I was absolutely ecstatic when I saw Torg Eternity come onto the scene.

astraeus
Goblin

Post by astraeus »

And as for Rifts, I've played a good amount of that as well.

With Rifts, you have a post-apocalyptic setting where the death of so many in a nuclear war brought magic back to the world with a vengeance. So much so that ley lines exploded with power across the planet, and where they intersected rifts opened to different worlds, dimensions, etc. And to be clear, the game setting is a couple hundred of years after the bombs fell, when mankind went through a new dark age before pockets of civilization started to become cohesive again.

With Torg (both old and new) Earth is still around with a majority of its countries still intact. The war itself is the ongoing setting, with inhabitants of Earth joining forces with others from the myriad realities to beat back the High Lords who came to drain the world of its inherent power.

Both games share the similar idea that characters can be from various genres and come together in an interesting cast.

astraeus
Goblin

Post by astraeus »

As for the new Relics of Power,

I'd say the overall premise is like the old one (previewing the Akashans into the overall story). From there I'd say they're fairly different.

The first one was a fairly long and linear plot (3 adventure modules). Including the original rules set, it felt like an epic undertaking to complete (one of my groups never finished it, with their end coming at the hands of Victor Manwaring on the Orient Express).

The new Relics Redux has the benefit of the redesign of the rules system, which makes it flow much faster. My gaming group (of 7-9+ people), meeting once a week, would take a couple months to do the old story. With Redux less than half that time (they're in the middle of Act 3 currently).

Wotan
Goblin

Post by Wotan »

astraeus wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:54 am
With Redux less than half that time (they're in the middle of Act 3 currently).
Cool, I hope Act 3 plays well and that your group enjoy it. I'd love to hear how it goes. :)
Nathan Smith
Glitchfinder General
"I don't mean to nitpick but..."

pkitty
Goblin

Post by pkitty »

I'm running my groups on Relics of Power now, and posting the recap on my wiki: http://mygurps.com/pmwiki.php?n=Main.StormKnights

I label each act. "Project Magnolia" and "Observatory of the Gods" are parts of RoP.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Padre
Kobold

Post by Padre »

I really am only able to play on play by post on Discord. I GM more than I play, though. I have run the first act of RoP Redux for my RL group and started a game on Discord.

Padre

Sir Alain Fisk
Hobgoblin

Post by Sir Alain Fisk »

Yeah, the premise may be the same, but the adventure campaigns are much different. I love the idea of the longer, more pointed campaign, but I'm going to do something to change the information, there, so Redux gets the proper names and feel, as written.

To be perfectly honest, and I'm sorry if this steps on anyone's toes, I am thinking our new authors don't truly understand how Acts and Scenes are really supposed to work. There's a 7 scene adventure in Deplhi Missions: Living Land, and the number of scenes should be separated into two acts.

savioronedge
Kobold

Post by savioronedge »

The biggest difference I found between Rifts and TORG I refer to as "The Glitterboy Problem".

In TORG, your mage is as effective as your Soldier as your Ninja as your Masked Hero...and your mixed party can have everyone shine at some point in every adventure without anyone feeling useless, ever.

In Rifts, you are either playing Mages or you are playing High-tech. Trying to balance a party with 1 Glitterboy and any mages leaves one side or the other feeling useless at every turn.

Count Thalim
Orc

Post by Count Thalim »

TORG has also so far largely avoided the power creep of Rifts.

Psionics are currently underpowered compared to Magic and Miracles, but with the Tharkold book being moved up the schedule that should balance itself out.

Rifts... The latest book always seemed to ratchet up the power level to the point where a Glitterboy suit seemed weak in comparison.
"Per Sanguinis, Ad Astra"

Utsukushi
Goblin

Post by Utsukushi »

Power Creep is almost inevitable, I think, in a growing system like this, but Eternity is definitely keeping an eye on it, and I think their solution of acknowledging it by actually building it into the system with Beta and Gamma Clearances is pretty solid. They have a reliable baseline for what a Perk should be able to do (roughly +2 to something, which can then be interpreted in a surprising number of ways, and makes a good comparison even when you get weird enough that it's not fundamentally that), and as they need to include effects that go beyond that... they can make those Beta Perks nested three levels down on a Tree to make sure the benefits are balanced by the costs. I haven't gotten there yet in play, and I do think over time it will encourage following those trees rather than, um, branching out, so to speak, but I also think it's pretty solid and could really hold up over time.

Return to “TORG”